Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Do any airlines still require flight reconfirmation?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2003, 8:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Jumbo mas

Just curious. I usually just fly one of a few carriers.
Old Feb 18, 2003, 10:15 pm

Programs: I am an AS employee, but my comments do not represent the company in any official capacity.
Garuda Indonesia does.
Old Feb 18, 2003, 11:51 pm
gba

Programs: Alaska MVP, Marriott Lifetime Titanium (United Silver), Hilton Gold
From my experiences, if you have a "confirmed" ticket most US Carriers do not require reconformation. If you do not have a seat assignment, however, or want to check the status of your flights, it can't hurt to call to get your seat assignment (usually starting w/in 24hrs of the flight) confirm flight times (especially if you booked well in advance as flight times often shift, if even slightly) or try for upgrades, if applicable. It's not necessary, but it can't hurt.
Old Feb 19, 2003, 1:51 am

I think it depends on where you are.

For example, KLM say that they no longer need passengers to reconfirm flights - yet when my partner flew with them to Accra last year he was told, on arrival, that he would absolutely have to reconfirm his flight back home.

I have not had to reconfirm flights in Europe or North America for at least ten years - with any schedule carrier. I believe that some seat-only charter arrangements still require reconfirmation for the homeward flight.
Old Feb 19, 2003, 4:51 am

I have had Luxair cancel reservations because they were not confirmed by phone.
Old Feb 19, 2003, 8:04 am

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
How do you prove a reconfirmation, considering that generally you are on the road on you way back to the airport for the homebound flight and there is no way to get it in writing?

Otherwise what is to prevent airlines from covering up their overbooking by saying that a passenger here and there did not reconfirm?

(What words, exactly, should you say when reconfirming by phone?)

Travel tips:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/travel.htm

[This message has been edited by AllanJ (edited 02-19-2003).]

[This message has been edited by AllanJ (edited 02-19-2003).]
Old Feb 19, 2003, 8:54 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
I agree with Aviatrix: it depends on your departure point. I was in Cairo, having arrived there via Austrian Airlines (OS). They informed us upon disembarking that it was critical we reconfirm our return flights. This was more difficult than you think, but we pulled it off and had seats waiting for us.
Old Feb 19, 2003, 10:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
In the middle east, I've found that it's important to *constantly* reconfirm my flights.
Old Feb 19, 2003, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ditto with some South American flights, especially domestic ones.

I also had the same experience on KL as Aviatrix to some destinations.
Old Feb 19, 2003, 12:06 pm

Programs: lapsed UA 1K (now a lowly 2P), HGP Platinum
I didn't know that this was ever done or required, but when I was on an Air India flight last year, the ticket agent did comment that I hadn't reconfirmed, but I was still allowed on the flight.

What exactly is the point of reconfirmaltion, and why would it be so necessary internationally, but unfeard of domestically?
Old Feb 19, 2003, 12:15 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by robb:
When I was on an Air India flight last year, the ticket agent did comment that I hadn't reconfirmed, but I was still allowed on the flight.

What exactly is the point of reconfirmaltion, and why would it be so necessary internationally, but unfeard of domestically?
</font>
Air India does NOT require reconfirmation of reservations for passengers flying to/from ORD, JFK, EWR, LHR, CDG, FRA, NRT or KIX. All other destinations require you to reconfirm your reservations at least 72 hrs in advance.

The reason for this is that travel agents tend to make multiple speculative bookings on flights. It is not unusual to see flights oversold by 300% during peak season, but still go out with empty seats. Air India's extensive Middle East and SE Asian network is especially vulnerable to these kind of tactics. The reconfirmation allows the airline to get a more effective idea about space availability 72 hours out and to begin clearing waitlists.
Old Feb 19, 2003, 4:47 pm

Don't know if they still require it, but in 2000, Icelandair required us to reconfirm a few days before the flight. Unfortunately for us, I didn't see the notice to do this. On the day of our flight I called to request seat assignments and was told that our reservation had been canceled because we failed to reconfirm. The customer service rep then said that the flight was sold out. However, we were able to fly standby and fortunately they had exactly 2 no-shows, so we made the flight. It was a very nervewracking wait to find out though. Since then, I ALWAYS call to reconfirm, even if it is not required. The peace of mind is worth the call to me.
Old Feb 19, 2003, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1MM, WN CP, Marriott LT Plat, Hilton Gold, IC Plat
I think we should all agree NEVER to fly an airline that requires re-confirmation for a paid and ticketed reservation. Ridiculous to inconvenience the customer with such nonsense in this day and age, especially as most people are not going to "blow off" non-refundable, non-changeable, non-cancellable tickets.
Old Feb 19, 2003, 7:11 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Boraxo:
I think we should all agree NEVER to fly an airline that requires re-confirmation for a paid and ticketed reservation. Ridiculous to inconvenience the customer with such nonsense in this day and age, especially as most people are not going to "blow off" non-refundable, non-changeable, non-cancellable tickets.</font>
I think Sean showed above a justifiable reason for reconfirming. You may have missed his post.

Old Feb 20, 2003, 1:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Yes and some places don't have a lot of non-refundable tickets. That's mostly a U.S. thing. The reason you have to re-confirm in the middle east is that the flights on pretty much all airlines are heavily overbooked and people cancel at the last minute.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.