Wiki Posts
Search

Most turbulent air routes

Search this Thread

Old Jun 30, 2001, 9:29 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum
Most turbulent air routes

Having just completed my 26th trip to Peru, I have been struck by just how often flights to and out of Peru encounter turbulence. The leg out on Thursday night (Lima-Houston) was one of the more bumpy flights I have had. Nothing serious, but enought for the Captain to keep the seat belt sign on for the ENTIRE 6+ hour flight. I bet we had no more than 10 minutes of smooth air the entire trip. It even drew comments from the FA's.

In that regard, what are some of the other consistently turbulent routes that others fly? I suppose most of the flights that cross the equator and the inter-tropical convergence zone encounter such turblence. Anyway, just wondering about what others have experienced.
Old Jun 30, 2001, 9:52 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AK Gold 75K, etc. etc.
I've always thought as SFO-DEN as a flight likely to encounter turbulence. Often the flight over the rockies prior to landing in Denver is gnarly.
Old Jun 30, 2001, 11:20 pm

Programs: UA Gold MM, AA EXP, Delta Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HHonors Diamond, Natl EE, Hertz Platinum
Ditto on flights into the Mile-High City. SEA-DEN is always bumpy on the way down (but takeoffs don't stick out in my mind as that bad for some reason). Like you said mikel51, it must be those Rockies.
Old Jun 30, 2001, 11:23 pm

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott
delete

Last edited by tmorse6570; Sep 15, 2007 at 10:13 pm
Old Jul 1, 2001, 12:29 am

Programs: AS MVP, HH Silver VIP, IHG Platinum, SPG Gold
Add flying over the Cascades to that list of bumpy routes. Like PDX to some Eastern OR or Northern CA destination in a DH8!
Old Jul 1, 2001, 12:46 am

Programs: AA, UA, WN, HH, Marriott
Combine the mountains with the desert on a hot summer day and you have the recipe for some pretty heavy turbulence - like an approach and landing at Las Vegas or Reno. I agree with DEN and SLC as well.
Old Jul 1, 2001, 1:54 am

Approaching SIN from the SE, so CGK, DPS, PER, ADL, MEL, SYD, BNE, DRW, CNS, CHC, AKL.

I was on QF 9 a few years ago (MEL-SIN), the flight had been so boring that the turbulence actually made the flight FUN

FA's were still serving the snack (ham and cheese focaccia) in the middle of it all. Not many people ate anything (for obvious reasons).

Cheers,

Clement
Old Jul 1, 2001, 6:45 am
Senior Moderator; Moderator, Eco-Conscious Travel, United and Flyertalk Cares

Programs: UA 1.7 MM;; Accor & Marriott Pt; Hyatt Globalist
The routes from the West Coast to Asia during fall and winter are pretty bumpy - contributing to it is that the routes are so packed that when a plane does encounter moderate turbulance there are generally no other altitudes available for them to move around.
Old Jul 1, 2001, 8:30 am

The two worst I've had were LHR-CDG and CDG-LHR (before Eurostar, and on separate occasions). The flights are too short to get much above FL200, and they bounced like hell. Also, a couple of transatlantic flights, out over the ocean. The worst was in a 747, with a 100 knot crosswind (unusually). That wasn't much fun. It's why I don't like 767s, and I'd never take a 757 transatlantic.
Old Jul 1, 2001, 9:39 am

Domestic:
Into Palm Springs and Lake Tahoe on a United Express and TWA Express turboprop, respectively.

International:
In/Out of BKK in the months of June, July, August (rainy and stormy season) during a torrential rainstorm (which seems to be 24/7 during these three months).

CS
Old Jul 1, 2001, 9:39 am

Programs: Lifetime Platinum, AA
Flights tbetween MIA and New York and other points in the northeast tend to be bumpy in summer (especially after dark)on the southern segment of the flight, over water.
Old Jul 1, 2001, 9:54 am
RKG

I agree with ChinaShark's post!
Old Jul 1, 2001, 12:40 pm

Last 10 miles of approach into LAS when the temps are over 110 degrees F.
Old Jul 1, 2001, 2:03 pm

Nairobi, Kenia. It feels like an elevator going down.
LH crashed a 747 due to "thin air" loooong ago.
Old Jul 1, 2001, 5:03 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Platinum
I agree that comming into DEN from the west can be an adventure sometimes. I had a flight from Reno to Denver several years ago where the Captain requested that nothing be put into the overhead bins except coats because of severe turbulence that was expected during decent into Denver. It turned out to be a smooth ride all the way down.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.