Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Hotel charges you after you've checked out: what are their rights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hotel charges you after you've checked out: what are their rights?

Search this Thread

Old Nov 28, 2002, 12:24 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
I disagree; Dispute the entire bill even though you are not trying to get out of paying what you really do owe them.

You will get a much faster response as they will fight to get what is due them (one night) and that will force them to prove that you were there nights two and three. The objective here is to get a timely response and start some sort of dialogue with the hotel.

At the point where the hotel challenges your dispute then all you are doing is contesting the disputed nights and will eventually pay off the first night.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cordelli:
Don't contest the entire bill, as you know that you legitimatly owe them for one night. Then it becomes a legal issue, as you know you owe them for something.</font>
Old Nov 28, 2002, 9:36 pm

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
I suppose the best way to avoid extra hotel charges in general is to do a manual check out at the desk and request a walk through of the room. Who knows, what if you check out and when the maid goes in to clean the room, everything is found to be very much trashed.

In this specific case about extra nights charged, the case should resolve itself in the guest's favor, assuming that the hotel touts automatic checkout with sliding the final folio under the door in the morning. The paper the hotel slid under the door should govern when the number of nights is questioned.

When disputing things on your credit card, be sure to do it in writing and save a copy of all papers.

I would probably not call the hotel long distance, but might call if they had an 800 number. It is OK to write the hotel, handwriting is OK if you find that quicker than word processing. If you don;t get a timely reply, dispute it with the credit card company anyway within the time limit described on the credit card bill.

Travel tips:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/travel.htm

Many many years ago, before they tore down my favorite beach amusement park and built a condominium in its place, I was coming back from the beach and stopped at a gas station. I got a credit card billing for a much larger amount. I wrote to the credit card company only to dispute it, saying that "although I patronize that station a lot, my car does not hold that much gas." The entire wrong charge disappeared from my bill and the correct charge never appeared in its place. Seems like one of the pump jockeys decided to pull a fast one just before quitting for the summer to go back to college.

[This message has been edited by AllanJ (edited 11-28-2002).]
Old Dec 1, 2002, 5:12 pm

I had this problem once, and now always check out personally at the front desk with a receipt showing the check-out and a $00 balance.

Also, I have quit staying at Hiltons since I had a different problem at three separate US hotels with alleged mini-bar, movie rentals, and parking charges added afterwards. I finally got an honest general manager at the Los Angeles location tell me that they have so much fraud with maids that this problem is rampant. I only got it fixed through my own credit card bank, however.
Old Dec 1, 2002, 7:32 pm
Moderator: GLBT Travelers & Hyatt Gold Passport

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by AllanJ:
I suppose the best way to avoid extra hotel charges in general is to do a manual check out at the desk and request a walk through of the room. </font>
I suupose that this would be ideal - but who really has the time to request a walk through of the room (and which hotel has the staff who would do this). But the manual checkout idea to get a zeroed out folio is a good one like many people have posted - I always do this also.

Old Dec 2, 2002, 6:19 pm

Anyword back yet?

[This message has been edited by 007 (edited 12-02-2002).]
Old Dec 2, 2002, 6:56 pm

I also have refused to even take the mini-bar key when I check into the hotel. That has stopped the improper mini-bar charges.
Old Dec 3, 2002, 9:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
If this happened to me, I would call the hotel and ask to talk to the manager. The minute I got any flak or got put on significant hold, I'd hang up and call Marriott's 800 number and ask to talk to a manager there. The minute they gave me any flak, put me on lengthy hold, or told me to call the hotel directly, I'd hang up and call Visa to dispute. Your TIME is worth too much. Be upfront, be honest, but demand efficiency.

Only time I've ever had to dispute a charge, the hotel fought back hard. It was a non-chain, small hotel in rural England. We were flying in that day and driving about halfway up from London to Chester. When I booked the room, they asked when I would arrive. I said "about 3PM" (I distinctly remember that this was my decision to estimate a 3PM arrival!). I arrived at about 4PM to find the hotel completely shut and locked up. After knocking on all the doors and even walking around back to try and peek into the kitchen, I gave up and stayed in the little hotel next door. (It was a strip of about eight small hotels and B&B's.)

I get back to the US to find that my CC has been charged for the night by the original hotel. When I contested the charge, they fought back saying that I was a no-show because I didn't arrive precisely at 3PM. I was the only guest that night, so they shut down the hotel at about 3:15. Fortunately, I had used the same CC for the next-door hotel stay, so the bank knew I actually made it to town. Finally, after about three months, I got a note from the bank saying that they had ruled in my favor and that the decision was final. The hotel apparently had fought it all the way, but fortunately my bank didn't agree with their arrival policy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.