Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

PIN Numbers now required with credit cards in Europe?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 8, 2007, 7:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Fabulous on one of the US carriers..

Hello people. I just took a lovely trip to CPH/Malmo right before Xmas. My plan was just to pay for everything I could with my cc as I didn't want to have to deal with exchanging money. Well mose places I went required a PIN # when using the credit card. And having no idea what that was - well I was relegated to taking cash out at ATMs.

The people I talked to said all of Europe was adapting the policy of using PIN #s with the CC. Has anyone else here had experiences in other European countries with this? I don't remember having any issues (i.e. they didn't require it) in England when visiting last summer.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 7:54 pm

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
Did you actually try using it? Or did notices/staff telling you that you needed your PIN put your off?

As a general rule, PINs should not be required of foreign-issued CCs where PINs are not generally used in the home country, or the chip is absent from the card. On seeing the type of card, the machine should say "accept signature" to the retailer.

France has used PINs in retail outlets for a long time. But until the UK introduced them, I was never asked for a PIN in France when using my UK card. Some restaurants seemed alarmed by this, but most knew to follow the instruction on the machine.

Generally shops are always free to decline to accept using any credit card if they're worried. Also they're free to take a signature in lieu of a PIN, even if the machine is demanding a PIN - but in the UK at least, this is now at their risk in the case of a card where a PIN was requested. Where the machine advises them to accept a signature then its not entirely at their risk. (Often they don't understand this.)

There are a few situations where PINs must be used - I believe the London Underground machines all require chip cards with PINs now.

The obvious advice is to know your PIN - especially if the card has a chip. If you end up in London without knowing your PIN, I wouldn't volunteer that you don't know it. The retailer might wrongly assume that the transaction might require it and decline to accept it. Best just to offer the card - a PIN might not be required at all.

I don't spend much time in the UK, but still have some UK issued cards. On my last trip back there I had 3 unsuccessful goes at remembering my PIN. The machine then paused for a bit and advised the retailer to accept a signature anyway. Apparently this often happens if the card hasn't been reported stolen and the outlet is not one normally associated with the fraudulent use of cards. The retailer specifically told me that as the machine told him to accept a sig, it was no problem. If the machine hadn't, then he would have to ask the supervisor before taking the sig and I would be required to produce extra ID. In this situation they might decline anyway.

As of a few weeks back, some foreign friends of mine had no problem using foreign cards in UK supermarkets without a PIN where PINs were always required of locals.

Last edited by jimbo99; Jan 8, 2007 at 7:59 pm
Old Jan 8, 2007, 8:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jimbo99
Did you actually try using it? Or did notices/staff telling you that you needed your PIN put your off?

As a general rule, PINs should not be required of foreign-issued CCs where PINs are not generally used in the home country, or the chip is absent from the card. On seeing the type of card, the machine should say "accept signature" to the retailer.

France has used PINs in retail outlets for a long time. But until the UK introduced them, I was never asked for a PIN in France when using my UK card. Some restaurants seemed alarmed by this, but most knew to follow the instruction on the machine.

Generally shops are always free to decline to accept using any credit card if they're worried. Also they're free to take a signature in lieu of a PIN, even if the machine is demanding a PIN - but in the UK at least, this is now at their risk in the case of a card where a PIN was requested. Where the machine advises them to accept a signature then its not entirely at their risk. (Often they don't understand this.)

There are a few situations where PINs must be used - I believe the London Underground machines all require chip cards with PINs now.

The obvious advice is to know your PIN - especially if the card has a chip. If you end up in London without knowing your PIN, I wouldn't volunteer that you don't know it. The retailer might wrongly assume that the transaction might require it and decline to accept it. Best just to offer the card - a PIN might not be required at all.

I don't spend much time in the UK, but still have some UK issued cards. On my last trip back there I had 3 unsuccessful goes at remembering my PIN. The machine then paused for a bit and advised the retailer to accept a signature anyway. Apparently this often happens if the card hasn't been reported stolen and the outlet is not one normally associated with the fraudulent use of cards. The retailer specifically told me that as the machine told him to accept a sig, it was no problem. If the machine hadn't, then he would have to ask the supervisor before taking the sig and I would be required to produce extra ID. In this situation they might decline anyway.

As of a few weeks back, some foreign friends of mine had no problem using foreign cards in UK supermarkets without a PIN where PINs were always required of locals.

I was told that I had to have a PIN or my card was not accepted. ("sorry.. thanks for playing".) . I tried my Debit card (with a PIN) but that did not work there. I am confident they knew I was not from around those parts..
Old Jan 8, 2007, 8:40 pm

Location: IAD, and sometimes OMNI/PR. Currently: not far from IAD, but home will always be SAN (not far from the "touch my junk and I'll have you arrested" Memorial TSA Check Point) even if I'm not there so much these days.
Programs: UA, CO, Calcifer Award for Mad Haiku Skillz
I was in the UK in October and when I used my Visa card I told the cashier that I didn't have a pin before they completed the transaction and they did something that allowed me to just sign for it instead of entering a PIN. I only did it a few times, but in each case the cashier knew exactly what to do and was very nice about it. This was in London and Liverpool.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 8:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by youreadyfreddie
I was in the UK in October and when I used my Visa card I told the cashier that I didn't have a pin before they completed the transaction and they did something that allowed me to just sign for it instead of entering a PIN. I only did it a few times, but in each case the cashier knew exactly what to do and was very nice about it. This was in London and Liverpool.
I didn't have issues at all in the UK. In fact they never even asked. This was in July. Six months later in Denmark all of a sudden no pin - no workie. They didn't even give me an option - even though I clearly was from the US (Non PIN using nation). I guess I just want to be prepared the next time I go back. Is this truely a trend for Europe? Or are some places just more stingey than others? TIA!
Old Jan 8, 2007, 9:57 pm

Programs: UA 1P, Omni Gold, Hilton Gold, *Wood Gold
You should have been able to sign for the purchase without the pin. I can't remember where I saw this, but I read something about this. I will do some digging and try to find it.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 10:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by jneugeba
You should have been able to sign for the purchase without the pin. I can't remember where I saw this, but I read something about this. I will do some digging and try to find it.
Thanks!!! My google searches were fruitless but who knows??? Look forward to whatcha got.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 10:04 pm

No problems charging without PIN in Germany last month - was never asked for one.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 10:08 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler
Retailers will often ask if you have a CC with a pin. Simply ignore them, use whichever credit card you want - and then press the green or ENTER button when prompted for a PIN. You'll be fine.
Old Jan 8, 2007, 10:20 pm

Originally Posted by Flyer_70
Hello people. I just took a lovely trip to CPH/Malmo right before Xmas. My plan was just to pay for everything I could with my cc as I didn't want to have to deal with exchanging money. Well mose places I went required a PIN # when using the credit card. And having no idea what that was - well I was relegated to taking cash out at ATMs.

The people I talked to said all of Europe was adapting the policy of using PIN #s with the CC. Has anyone else here had experiences in other European countries with this? I don't remember having any issues (i.e. they didn't require it) in England when visiting last summer.
I used my AMEX (US issued) in UK over the summer ('06) and had no issues. I did realize that they weren't swiping the card, but were in fact sticking it in to a card reading machine of some sort.

Is the PIN# applicable for just VISA/MC, or for AMEX as well... And what pin# to use anyway?? The pin for cash withdrawal? That's the only pin I can associate to all my cc's.... but somehow that doesn't make sense to me.

Afterthought: I just remembered using my Citi MC w/out any issues as well...

Last edited by enthusiastic flier; Jan 8, 2007 at 10:23 pm Reason: added afterthought
Old Jan 9, 2007, 12:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I haven't the faintest idea what any of my credit cards' PINs are (I know some were sent me for ATM use, but I never use credit cards for cash advances), and I'm heading back to the UK in a few weeks. Will I be caught out?
Old Jan 9, 2007, 12:57 am

Programs: UA1K/RCC, Avis CHM, NWA Plat, SPG Plat
I made multiple trips to Europe in 2006 and used my credit card a lot. When the cashier told me I needed to enter my pin, I said that it was an American credit card and I didn't have a pin. All my transactions were done without a pin and I didn't have a problem. You just have to tell them.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 1:09 am

Programs: FlyingBlue Platinum, LH Senator, VA Velocity Platinum, Marriott Silver, Hilton Diamond
Italy does not use PINs with its credit cards, however ATM cards (called Bancomat cards) are accepted almost everywhere that CCs are accepted. And here, a PIN is required and deducts directly from your bank account.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 4:09 am

Programs: EVA (diamond), A3, BMI, VN
Originally Posted by ClueByFour
Not true as of two weeks ago (Marylebone).
That's good to hear. Its awful enough for visitors that the fares are so high, let alone giving them hassle when they try using a credit card.

I'm assuming that was a machine at the underground station....

It could be they've corrected the problem now. I remember for a while they were suggesting foreigners (and UK people who have the PIN feature disabled - usually for reasons of disability) use the ticket offices or machines at mainline stations.
Old Jan 9, 2007, 5:43 am

Google "Chip-PIN" "credit card" and "europe" .There's a lots of info.
It looks like this is the future.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.