Wiki Posts
Search

FAA Baggage Policies? (and UA idiocy?)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 24, 2002, 3:25 pm
Original Poster

Programs: lapsed UA 1K (now a lowly 2P), HGP Platinum
FAA Baggage Policies? (and UA idiocy?)

So, I haven't followed the new TSA rules on baggage matching very closely, but I was told something by a UA gate agent this week that totally floored me.

I had 3 bags checked on a 1:05 flight to JFK, which was delayed and then cancelled at about 1:05. I called UA and was immediately rebooked on the 1:50 flight to EWR.

When I arrived at the gate for that flight, they were frustrated as they had told the customer service desk not to send them anyone with checked bags because if they failed to get the bags pulled and boarded on my flight, that the FAA would fine them $10,000 per bag for any bag arriving at JFK without a passenger.

However, they went ahead and issued the request to pull the bags and checked me in for the flight.

My question is, can this possibly be true?? Did United knowingly risk $30,000 on my accomodation (and subsequently pay it, since my bags didn't make it and came on the redeye to JFK)?

If so, how stupid are they? I can't imagine that this industry (and this airline) is so desperate that they would take huge risks like that for relatively little reward. If this is true, then they absolutely should have pulled me off the flight and accomodated me differently. No other company would do that and expect to stay in business. They would just tell me, "I'm sorry, but a mistake has been made, and we're not able to accomodate you on this flight. Let me find a way to get you there."

Old Aug 25, 2002, 7:36 am

PPBM bags (matched bags) can fly without the passenger following a diversion, cancellation, etc.

In other words, if the airline forces a passenger to take a different flight, the bags do not need to accompany the passenger. They are considered "known" bags; in other words, the separation between the passenger and the bags was the airline's idea.

In your case, it was you--the passenger--who decided to make the change, so the bags had to fly with you.

A note about the fines... yes, the FAA charges $10,000 if an unmatched bag flies (and the airline gets caught), or if a passenger isn't seated during taxi, or $5,000 if the security questions aren't asked. But these fines are typically reduced a great deal. The airlines would be even more bankrupt if the FAA actually charged them the full amount.

Old Aug 25, 2002, 8:44 am

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
(copied from another forum)

But what if a flight is oversold and the only volunteers have checked bags (and someone still going to the destination airport to get the bags even if they don't meet the passengers)?

(copied from above)
>>>In your case, it was you--the passenger--who decided to make the change, so the bags had to fly with you.

Note: the airline cancelled his original flight as he said above, so doing the right thing means pulling the bags if necessary.

Travel tips:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/travel.htm

(I volunteer a lot although I rarely need to check bags.)

[This message has been edited by AllanJ (edited 08-25-2002).]
Old Aug 25, 2002, 8:49 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
I was a volunteer on an oversold set of flights, the first time they did pull my bag, the second time they didn't want to do it and took another volunteer without any checked bags.
Old Aug 25, 2002, 8:30 pm

I totally misunderstood (or read too fast.)

Sorry about that. -Mats.

[This message has been edited by Mats (edited 08-25-2002).]
Old Aug 25, 2002, 8:34 pm

I don't think bags need to be PPBM if they are searched in some other manner. (i.e., handsearch or CTX.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.