Wiki Posts
Search

Seating for Taller People

Search this Thread

Old Jul 4, 2002, 10:53 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA PLT
Seating for Taller People

I am wondering if anyone can tell me where the best seats for tall, big people are.
I'm 6'8" tall and well built - the one and only flight i've ever been on was a domestic Australian flight where I couldn't even sit down in my seat because my legs were too big. The flight attendants had to get the Pilot to come and tell someone else to move from a different seat so i could have it - which i barely fitted into anyways!

I understand that exit row seats are roomier or something? But will the airline seat me in those seats or what?

Old Jul 4, 2002, 1:20 pm

I am 6’ and my husband is 6’5” and a large man overall. We are both gold on AA. The status gives us the privilege of booking the exit row or bulkhead. We seek out the exit row with no seat in front of the window for my husband’s long legs. First class has far more comfortable seats but they do not have much more legroom. Before we had status we would get to the airport early and check in at the front ticket counter. At that point we could request the exit row seats we needed. The counter person would take one look at us and give us the seats. Good luck and enjoy the ride.
Old Jul 5, 2002, 8:28 am

Although Southwest's normal configuration won't work for you, you can request the seat in front of you removed. They just stow it with the luggage and re-attach it later. They will charge you for 2 tickets unless the flight isn't full. You do receive, however, double flight credit if that happens. Try to pick low yield times and you'll be fine. Let the gate agent know well in advance so that they can maintain their fast turn around. Sometimes they can't get a mechanic in time and will deny you boarding until the next flight. This is rare, but I simply carry my own ratchet and socket (9/16") now, so I don't have to wait. One additional benefit: They prefer to remove a seat near the door to make it easy to remove from the cabin, so I almost always get to sit at the front of the plane.

edited because cabim is actually spelled cabin

[This message has been edited by TOOLMAN (edited 07-05-2002).]
Old Jul 11, 2002, 12:02 am

TOOLMAN! I knew there was a reason I liked SW besides the seats that faced backwards in the exit rows! (they still do that don' they...)

Thanks for the informative 411 ... I've got several friends to pass that along to.
Old Jul 11, 2002, 12:04 am

also fwiw, on UA the 'Gold' status perk is same exit row advance access as starrunner mentions. On NWA you can get the same perk with the lowest level of status, Silver.
Old Jul 11, 2002, 9:12 am

Programs: AA GLD, Marriott PLT, Hilton Diamond
IIRC, southwest is getting rid of the club configurations.

Also, how can they remove just one seat. Usually, I would think the entire seat group would come out, and it would be a lot of work by an A&P, log book sign off, maybe even some weight and balance paperwork.
Old Jul 12, 2002, 8:39 am

gregseattle: inform your friends that not every Southwest employee is aware of this program. Tell them to check the employee handbook under RRRRR. That stands for Rapid Rewards Row Removal Resolution. Probably a response to AAs MRTC.

jsmeeker: Please don't try to include actual facts in this thread. smile goes here.
Old Jul 17, 2002, 3:16 pm

Get to the airport a little early and when you check in, ask for the exit aisle. Usually works for me. On Southwest, if you are in boarding group A and by yourself, just head back to the center exit aisle or the seats that are facing each other.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.