Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Credit Cards - demagnitized - through airport security - what should I do?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Credit Cards - demagnitized - through airport security - what should I do?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2002, 6:04 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Titanium, Delta DM & 1MM, Hertz and Avis President's Circle
First, X-ray machines will not de-magnetize cards. X-rays are a different type of energy than magnetism.

I always put my wallet in a shoulder bag and put that through the X-ray (while keeping a close eye on it). Although in theory, the hand scanners and metal detectors do not have a strong enough magnetic field to affect cards, it could happen if you were to get close enough to the wand or frame of the scanner.

Do avoid (as previously mentioned) the anti-security devices. These are basically degaussers (powerful electromagnets) that have to handle de-magnetizing the embedded anti-theft sensors.

One suggestion is to keep your most important credit card in some sort of plastic sleeve. Body heat and moisture can affect the substrate of the magnetic stripe on your card and cause it to break down and lose the attached material.

Also, card readers can also contribute to the problem. Depending on the quality and type of heads used in the reader, they may have problems reading some cards but not others. There's nothing you can do about this.

I also think the card issuer is a factor here, too. There are different quality cards in use. Some like Amex and DC, appear to be some of the best. Others, like my credit union ATM card are really cheap looking. My (former) commercial debit card was another problem card. I had to replace it about every 6 or 8 months because it kept wearing down. The amount of use compared to my other cards didn't explain why this was happening. It just appeared to be el cheapo striping on the card that would wear down quickly.
Old Jul 7, 2002, 12:13 pm
In Memoriam, Original Member

"but WITH A BRAND NEW NUMBER. They said this is their policy."

It is not policy. They may tell you that, but I have had 3 replacemnnt AMEX cards in the last year (don't ask) and AMEX has always given me the same number. BUT, I had to state explicitly what I wanted. Be forcefull and don't back down if they pull that stunt. Far to many places have my account number for me to bother changing it just because I need a new card.
Old Jul 8, 2002, 8:54 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
My debit card is getting worn where the rollers pull it into the ATM's, that is also where the three digit confirmation number is located on the signature pannel.

Always request two card when you get a card, keep one in a safe place and then you don't have to worry about a changing number when the first one dies.

I agree with the others, it's not the metal detectors or x-rays killing your card, it's either the issuer saved a few pennies and bought inexpensive blanks, or the magnetic pads at places like home depot and other stores.
Old Jul 8, 2002, 10:40 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by cordelli:
Always request two card when you get a card, keep one in a safe place and then you don't have to worry about a changing number when the first one dies.
</font>
Yup. This is OUTSTANDING advice. Fortunately this happened to me a while back, inadventently I ordered a replacement card but knew that card #1 was not compromised, so they sent the new card with same number and I had already found the old card. Then when #1 wore out I just replaced with card #2, the card that recently expired. Very good idea, cordelli!
Old Jul 10, 2002, 4:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The X-ray machine shouldn't hurt your card, but I've heard that certain types of the hand wand they use at security will.

If you're really concerned, you'd be better off putting your wallet in your bags and letting them go through the machine. I always put everything through the machine, because it makes getting through the magnetometer and wand a lot easier when you have no metal on your person.

d
Old Jul 12, 2002, 7:30 am

Programs: Seashore Trolley Museum "flight attendant"
Loose batteries in your pocket not connected to anything should not demagnetize a credit card. But batteries should not be carried around loose next to metal objects including other batteries or coins because a short circuit could occur.

I usually put transparent tape over my signature but not over the magnetic stripe. This was originally to keep the signature area from becoming too dirty but also keeps "void" from showing through.

Travel tips:
http://members.aol.com/ajaynejr/travel.htm
Old Jul 16, 2002, 9:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: TalkBoard: We discuss / ad nauseum things that mean / so very little
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">What can I do, to minimize the demagnitization of the magnetic strip...</font>
Be sure you are wearing your tin foil hat at all times.

FewMiles..

------------------
[ FlyerTalkers' Resources on the Web ]
[ Unofficial Guide to AAdvantage ] [ Unofficial oneworld Info Desk ]
Old Jul 17, 2002, 3:02 pm

I doubt if it was airport security. Perhaps on one of those devices they use at the store checkouts to disable the security tag they have in the items you are buying, like at KMarts, WalMarts. There usually is a sign that states, keep your credit cards away or they will be demagnitized.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.