Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Fear of Dogs and Airports

Old Sep 23, 2015, 9:45 am
Original Poster

I have a fear of dogs as I was bitten by one when I was a child and since then I have developed a strong phobia about them where I dont even find them cute. Yesterday at Seattle airport the authorities were walking around sniffing the passengers and luggage. When the dog came near me and started licking my shoes and sniffing around I had a really hard time to keep my composure and not freak out or scream like a little girl and then raise red flags. My feet were literally trembling and armpits were getting sweaty but I just held my breath till it was over.

Can you deny a dog search and ask for something else like those people who opt for patdown vs a body scanner?
Old Sep 23, 2015, 9:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If you're just walking through the airport and a dog comes by, I don't see why you couldn't just walk the other way or duck into the bathroom. If you are otherwise unable to get away, you could certainly explain the situation and ask them to keep the dog away to avoid a full-scale freak out from you. Of course, they'd probably do a pat down or something.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 10:00 am

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
If you're just walking through the airport and a dog comes by, I don't see why you couldn't just walk the other way or duck into the bathroom. If you are otherwise unable to get away, you could certainly explain the situation and ask them to keep the dog away to avoid a full-scale freak out from you. Of course, they'd probably do a pat down or something.
I think (s)he was taking about the customs control beagles... which are cute but if you are afraid of dogs probably not nice and hard to avoid.

I think if you tell them to keep their distance as you are terrible afraid of dogs but they are welcome to do a full body screening it should be ok. Not sure you want to go down that road, since the full body screening might not be a very pleasant exercise as well....

Best option is probably: "Look I'm really really afraid of dogs, it can sniff me but please keep it on a very short leash". Worked for my mother in law who is also very afraid of dogs more than once.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 10:04 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fassy
I think (s)he was taking about the customs control beagles... which are cute but if you are afraid of dogs probably not nice.

I think if you tell them to keep their distance as you are terrible afraid of dogs but they are welcome to do a full body screening it should be ok. Not sure you want to go down that road, since the full body screening might not be a very pleasant exercise as well....

Best option is probably: "Look I'm really really afraid of dogs, it can sniff me but please keep it on a very short leash". Worked for my mother in law who is also very afraid of dogs more than once.
Yes it was at the baggage carousel area. Full body screening? Heck they can strip search me for all they want if that will do. They can search me with a Tiger and I would be less scared. But I would do anything to avoid any dog encounters in the future.
Hopefully somebody here can confirm if they have ever been successful in asking for a alternate means of search that doesnt include dogs.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 10:11 am

Programs: Delta SkyMiles, AmEx, NorthWest WorldPerks, Jelly of the Month. S&H Green Stamps, Subway sub club
Sounds like you may have "Cynophobia".
Old Sep 23, 2015, 10:21 am

Originally Posted by Zulazai
Yes it was at the baggage carousel area. Full body screening? Heck they can strip search me for all they want if that will do. They can search me with a Tiger and I would be less scared. But I would do anything to avoid any dog encounters in the future.
Hopefully somebody here can confirm if they have ever been successful in asking for a alternate means of search that doesnt include dogs.
To be honest, in the last 5 years I have traveled dozen of times to US (mostly ORD, EWR and SFO) and I just once have been encountered by the beagle brigade in SFO

And at that time they even asked me "Is it ok if the dog sniffs you carry-on?" It didn't even control me, just my small carry-on and backpack which I conveniently placed on the floor for the happy sniffing small fellow.

It helps to wait a long time at the immigration desks and the luggage is already offloaded from the belts. They will sniff most of the bags but not necessary every person walking around. So if you arrive and they are done with it, good chance they will leave you alone for good.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 11:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
What precisely is the fear of the dogs at customs? Being bitten or attacked by them?

Even if they detect drugs (or whatever the particular dog is trained to smell), they're trained to just sit down.

I could understand how one with a prior bad experience with a dog would be apprehensive about someone bringing their pet onto an airplane or in an airport...likely an untrained dog, in an unfamiliar environment, etc. But I seriously would not worry one iota about the dogs trained and used by law enforcement.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 11:46 am

Originally Posted by pinniped
What precisely is the fear of the dogs at customs? Being bitten or attacked by them?
If you're afraid of dogs, there doesn't need to be a reason for it (as in, dog looks dangerous, snarl teeth, whatever..) - you're simply afraid of it.

I've also a (very mild) sense of being afraid of dogs, as in feeling uncomfortable when there are dogs roaming around me, but from what OP states, his fear is much stronger, so I totally understand when he does feel really bad when a dog is near him and even touching him.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 11:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Well, I'm afraid of some dogs too...I'm just saying that *these* particular dogs are completely safe to be around.

I'm afraid that if the OP sought some sort of "opt out" or outwardly tried to avoid the dogs, the customs officials would assume he/she was smuggling something. It would go far beyond the usual pat down you get when you opt out of a Nude-o-Scope at a regular checkpoint. Probably lengthy questioning, full body and luggage search...and some or all of that still done by the dog.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 12:25 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pinniped
Well, I'm afraid of some dogs too...I'm just saying that *these* particular dogs are completely safe to be around.

I'm afraid that if the OP sought some sort of "opt out" or outwardly tried to avoid the dogs, the customs officials would assume he/she was smuggling something. It would go far beyond the usual pat down you get when you opt out of a Nude-o-Scope at a regular checkpoint. Probably lengthy questioning, full body and luggage search...and some or all of that still done by the dog.
That was my worst fear and I was trying my best to be idle and remain cool yet thankfully it all went ok and perhaps their behavior detection wasnt up to par that day lol but I was hella nervous. Like I said I would be less scared if it was a Tiger but the Dog took me to whole another level especially once it started sniffing me and licking my shoes. Im sure the dogs are perfectly safe but at the end of the day they are animals and sometimes unpredictable. Anything could set them off for all I know.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 2:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Zulazai
That was my worst fear and I was trying my best to be idle and remain cool yet thankfully it all went ok and perhaps their behavior detection wasnt up to par that day lol but I was hella nervous. Like I said I would be less scared if it was a Tiger but the Dog took me to whole another level especially once it started sniffing me and licking my shoes. Im sure the dogs are perfectly safe but at the end of the day they are animals and sometimes unpredictable. Anything could set them off for all I know.
Behavior detection is a myth.

In any case, hopefully the experience got you just a tiny little bit more comfortable with dogs.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 2:49 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
It seems like many people who visit the fine state of Washington these days could be quite fragrant to canines when leaving SEA airport...
Old Sep 23, 2015, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card

As others have said, just be honest to the CBP officers, explain yourself, and offer to cooperate in whatever way they need. If you have nothing to hide, they can let the dogs sniff your luggage while you stand away from it, then quickly sniff you.

This is something both the dogs and handlers are well trained to deal with and they will appreciate you being straightforward.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 8:09 pm

Programs: National Executive, Hertz Five Star, Hilton Diamond, BW Diamond
The beagles just search for food products. That shouldn't mean a strip search if you try to avoid them.
Old Sep 23, 2015, 8:25 pm

My experience...the Beagle started to approach me and my bag and did a sharp turn away from me. The handler coaxed him toward me and he wouldn't comply. I don't know for sure what was going on but I have a big fluffy white kitty (Siberian Forest Cat) at home that has rubbed all over my suitcase! I personally think the dog was avoiding the cat smell. It might be worth a try for you...borrow a suitcase from a cat owner or get one to mark yours for you

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.