Wiki Posts
Search

Victoria Airport Lounge?

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2002, 8:23 am
Original Poster

Programs: Delta Diamond Medallion MM, Starwood Gold, Amex Platinum
Victoria Airport Lounge?

I'm not sure which format to post this in but- I'm going to Victoria (YYJ) this weekend. Is there an airport lounge? Also, has anyone stayed before at Sooke Harbor House? Any particular sights not to be missed?

[This message has been edited by theWINEguy (edited 04-23-2002).]
Old Apr 23, 2002, 12:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Try the Travel Canada section, or failing that Air Canada in Miles.

If there's a lounge in YYJ, it's likely to be the Air Canada lounge open to *A elites.

Usual sights in Victoria include the Empress Hotel, B.C. Legislature building, Royal B.C. Museum, Butchart Gardens if you are into flowers (bit too early though).
Old Apr 23, 2002, 12:46 pm

Victoria was a very very small airport and is now being expanded. So it is currently under construction. As far as I know, there are no lounges there at all, but the airport itself is becoming nicer every day and there are a few nice spots to sit. On nice days, if I check in early, I sometimes go for a walk along the access road which is nearby and has a fairly pleasant rural flavour or sit at one of the outdoor picnic tables. It should be fairly sunny and warm while you are there, although it has been a bit cool there this Spring.

Security is usually quite fast to get through but if there is a large charter flight scheduled to leave you can get caught waiting for a while. I have never waited more than 30 minutes to get through security there, though (and that was unusual). Most flights leaving from Victoria are smaller commuter flights going to Vancouver or Seattle.

Once you go through security there is basically just one large room, but it is a pleasant room with high ceilings and lots of windows and you can buy a snack and some limited beverages.

I see you are interested in wine and fine dining and you are already visiting one of the best places around – Sooke Harbour House has a wonderful wine list and terrific food. While you are there, ask if you can see any of the other rooms – they are all completely different and if not booked up, they will likely give you a bit of a ‘tour.’

The Empress Hotel also is very special for their wine list and food, and I LOVE their Bengal Lounge which is a luxurious bit of British ‘Raj.’ It has a curry buffet but I like to go there for dessert and drinks. I introduced some American guests to Canadian icewine at the Empress, and one of them called it ‘nectar of the gods.’ The Empress is right on the Inner Harbour which is itself a lovely spot to walk around. You can see the legislative buildings all lit up at night, and find out about Francis Rattenbury who was the architect of these and several other historic buildings in the downtown area. Be sure to ask about his life (and death!) as he was a colourful character. The BC museum is also in the Inner Harbour and is a well designed and interesting museum.

If you are there for the weekend and have a car, you may wish to take a drive to The Aerie Resort which is perched high on the Malahat summit and has spectacular vistas over the region. The Aerie is also renowned for its wine list and food.

You will be on the ocean so there are several opportunities for water activities. Whale watching may be available, or just take a ride in one of the little harbour ferries from the Inner Harbour, which are picturesque and will take you all across the harbour area as well as up the Gorge waterway, all for just a few dollars. Take the Harbour ferry over to Ocean Pointe Resort which I believe still has its own wine store and is one of the few spots where you can buy some of the local wines. (There are a few wineries within driving distance of Victoria, also – Sooke Harbour House will be able to give you all the details.)

You must go to Beacon Hill Park or take a walk along the Dallas Road seawall! Most of the cherry trees may have finished their bloom by the time you are there, but the blue camas bulbs are just coming into bloom in the Park and they are an important part of the natural history of the area, as are the Garry Oak trees which are also found in the Park.

That is only a start … I live in Victoria and love it and can recommend more, if you like.

Old Apr 23, 2002, 4:11 pm

Programs: Avis Pref+, Hyatt Explorist, Marriott Life Gold, Honors Silver, IHG Plat via MC.
If you're into volleyball, there are VB courts on the roof of the Strathcona Hotel downtown.
Chinatown has excellent food incl. Roast Duck.
In the harbor you can tour the insides of a genuine Soviet Submarine, which was bought from the Russian Govt. by an entrepreneur& turned into a tourist museum.

------------------
Flyertalk.com ...because miles & points don't grow on trees!
Old Apr 24, 2002, 10:10 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plt
I always make it a point to visit a place called Spinnakers (308 Catherine Street) whenever I'm in Victoria.

It's a brewpub/restaurant with spectacular views of the harbor, a good 'pub grub' menu and some of the best beers in Canada, which they make themselves.

You can see more about them at www.spinnakers.com if you're interested.
Old Apr 28, 2002, 7:37 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by theWINEguy:
Also, has anyone stayed before at Sooke Harbor House?</font>
No, but I am anxious to know what you thought about the dining at Sooke Harbor House. Please do tell!!
Old Apr 29, 2002, 12:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, DL GM, Marriott Platinum
Sooke Harbour House is wonderful. Absolutely superb dining, lots of edible flowers last time I visited.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 6:24 am

Programs: Aeroplan SE AND 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Platinum , L'Accor Platinum
Lounge at YYJ in 2016?

I suspect the Victoria airport is still too small to have a lounge?
Old Jul 23, 2016, 10:04 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Originally Posted by FlyerGoldII
I suspect the Victoria airport is still too small to have a lounge?
Correct.

http://www.victoriaairport.com/services-and-facilities

I'd say the majority of business flyers fly out of YWH, so there's less demand for a lounge.
Old Jul 23, 2016, 12:34 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Originally Posted by gglave
Correct.

http://www.victoriaairport.com/services-and-facilities

I'd say the majority of business flyers fly out of YWH, so there's less demand for a lounge.
Thanks for answering the question posed in the 14 year old thread. Now, it is off to the archives.
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.