Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Sign in using an external account

Old Aug 2, 01, 8:29 pm   #1

Jefferson City,MO, which airport?

I might be going to this small town....wondering which major airport should i fly into? I checked online for a bit and it seemed that STL is about 2 hours away from there...and MCI is 3 hours....any other major airports I missed?

and oh...what is in Jefferson City,MO?

------------------
Al
Old Aug 3, 01, 9:38 am   #2

COU (Columbia, MO) is thirty miles from Jefferson City. I think only TWA's regional carrier serves Columbia through St Louis of course.

http://www.ci.columbia.mo.us/dept/pubw/airport.htm

[This message has been edited by Applefan (edited 08-03-2001).]
Applefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 01, 10:38 am   #3

I would recommend flying into STL and renting a car. Until several months ago, Ozark Airlines flew into COU from DFW, but this airline is gone now. Now only TWE flies into COU from STL, and their service (I believe they are flying J41's now) is not the most reliable. While COU is less than 20 miles from Jeff City (airport is between Columbia and JC), flying into STL and driving from there (2 hours, first I70 West then taking Hwy 54 at the Kingdom City exit) makes more sense and usually saves some $$ on the airfare.

Jeff City is the capital of Missouri. It's not very big on the entertainment side (politely said). Madison Cafe (in downtown JC, close to the Governor's mansion) is a good lunch or casual dinner destination.

If you have a car, Columbia is about 30 minutes away (it's a nice University town), or you can drive to the Lake of the Ozarks (about 40 minutes away) for some water R&R.

Let me know if you need more information.

<Edited for typos>

[This message has been edited by Eugene (edited 08-05-2001).]
Eugene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 01, 10:15 am   #4

I had to go there last year to visit MOSERS - the pension plan of Missouri - a client of ours.

Flew into St. Louis , rented a car and it was a direct highway drive for almost 2 hours to Jeff City. ( better than switching to a commuter jet.)

[This message has been edited by ljp99 (edited 08-06-2001).]
Old Aug 11, 01, 8:46 pm   #5

Being from Jeff City and knowing both MCI and STL airports, it is really no big deal which city you fly into (STL is closer by about an hour just because MCI is so far north). I-70, the main interstate, is going through some major roadwork around STL (I was there just last week) that is not going to end anytime soon. I have found that it is cheaper to fly in/out of MCI than STL if price is a factor.
As to what to do in Jeff city...nothing much. It is a city with about 40K, mostly state workers. You can tour the capitol building (It really does have an interesting history--the 1st two capitols burnt down), or play golf. Eagle Knoll is about 15 mintues away and is one of the best courses in the state.
As mentioned in the post above, Madison's Cafe is a nice Italian place to eat. I would also have to recommend Pizzaria Napolitana (Greek). I eat there often and am never disappointed.
Lake of the Ozarks is only a 45 minute drive from JC. They have a HUGE outlet center (I think close to 150 stores--Polo, Reebok, Levi, and other well-known stores). It is a great place to go shopping.
Hope this helps!
EMS622 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 11, 01, 9:24 pm   #6

I have business in Springfield, MO in November. Quoted the client a fixed fee so how I get there is quite optional.
I'll drive. Will be nice to travel and bypass the airports.
I think though that your destination is a little further from Dallas than mine is.
MarkinDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 11, 5:18 am   #7

Programs: DL, Hilton, Marriott, Amex Plat
Does anyone have any newer info on Jefferson City/COU in the last ten years? I have a group flying from DTW and a group from Cleveland that need to be in Jefferson City in July. According to the COU airport website there are three flights/day between COU and Memphis on a DL regional jet.

Is COU a decent small airport? Are there respectable car rental options at COU, or we be better off at STL?

There are direct flights from DTW-STL and CLE-STL available, or there's DTW-MEM-COU and CLE-MEM-COU.
jdsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 11, 6:26 am   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdsmith View Post
Does anyone have any newer info on Jefferson City/COU in the last ten years? I have a group flying from DTW and a group from Cleveland that need to be in Jefferson City in July. According to the COU airport website there are three flights/day between COU and Memphis on a DL regional jet.

Is COU a decent small airport? Are there respectable car rental options at COU, or we be better off at STL?

There are direct flights from DTW-STL and CLE-STL available, or there's DTW-MEM-COU and CLE-MEM-COU.

I've never flown into COU, but you will definitely have more flight and car options going into STL. You might be stranded if one of those 3 flights into COU got canceled.

Jeff City is about 2 hours from STL and is pretty much a straight shot down I-70 from STL. Get on I-70 from the airport, and take it all the way out to US-54 and from there it's about 30 minutes away.
t325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 11, 9:06 am   #9
Suspended

Programs: I miss NW, TW
I saw COU about 3 years ago. It's a quiet place. As others have said, COU is closer but served by only 1 airline. STL is next closer but MCI isn't that much farther away. STL or MCI requires that you rent a car unless you take a bus. There is bus service to Columbia, MO but I don't know about Jefferson City. One possibility is to rent a car in Columbia.
Penbank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 11, 9:40 am   #10

They have (had?) a Hertz there, so you can get a car if need be. It's about a 15-minute drive from the airport. It is a teeny, tiny airport with a single "gate" though there is a small snack bar and of course the Full Power of the Mighty TSA™ there to protect you. When last I flew it was on a Saab turboprop; I hear they are running RJs now.

Flying in to STL or MCI are other options. STL is probably half an hour closer. SuperShuttle runs from both airports to Jeff City at a cost of I think $35; that might be a better option than renting cars.
alanw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 11, 12:42 pm   #11
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
There is regional service out of MEM only. It is brutally expensive and far cheaper to fly to STL and take a car service, let alone rent a car and drive yourself. COU airport to Jeff City is abt. 20-25 mins drive time. STL to Jeff City just over 2 hours. If you have a group, consider chartering a bus from STL to your meetings.
Often1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18, 11, 5:26 pm   #12

Have been to Columbia, MO and it's a quiet place. The airport over there as mentioned above is COU airport. Jefferson City is a small town of about 50,000. I am assuming you are flying there from Sugarland/Houston ,TX. Only Delta flies from COU airport to MEM Memphis and then you have connections from there.

And despite others above saying it is better to fly to STL- my advice would be to fly to COU instead of STL. It is just 30 miles from Jeff City. And fares are not prohibitively expensive. Maybe a $100 more for a RT from COU compared to STL. Much easier than driving all the way from STL. If you want ,you could rent a car at COU. Would save you all the hassle of driving to and from STL. That's my opinion. Hope it helps.
deltheking is offline   Reply With Quote