Community
Wiki Posts
Search

London Eye

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2001, 4:36 am
Original Poster

London Eye

Will be in London next week, and a friend mentioned if we wanted to see the London eye, best to book well ahead.

Is this still the case for mid-week and also bearing in mind the lack of tourists at the mo?

Tks...
Old May 31, 2001, 5:48 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
I know there is a site where you can book a specific time for it, but I went last March and was able to get on with only a 10 min wait (no advance purchase), in mid afternoon. It is well worth it, especially if you get a clear day. The ride is not at all like a ferris wheel, but more along the lines of an glassed elevator. It takes about a 1/2 and a guide is in each capsule, giving out information and taking pictures of individuals/groups when asked.
Old May 31, 2001, 6:14 am
Original Poster

Mauld,

Thanks for that - will just see what the waether's like on the day...
Old May 31, 2001, 6:47 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
There were plenty of tourists in London last weekend, so I don't know about a "lack of tourists at the mo".

My friend tried to get advance tickets for us, but could not ... we didn't try just going there and trying to get on ...
Old May 31, 2001, 7:09 am

I rode the London Eye about a month ago. It was a fabulous experience at sunset on a delightfully clear evening. Since I was a member of a group, I'm not sure of the advance booking procedures. If you are staying at a better hotel, I am sure your concierge can help you book.
Old May 31, 2001, 7:36 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM, HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold
I rode the Eye a week and a half ago. Showed up on Saturday about 11am and bought tickets for Sunday evening with zero problems.

If you buy them on site for a future date, don't stand in the long same day purchase line. Go directly inside the building to the advance purchase area where there was almost no one in line when I was there.

The website for the Eye is: http://www.ba-londoneye.com

As of two weeks ago, you could not book online. Looks like they've added that feature now.

Old May 31, 2001, 8:32 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa exp - spg gold - Hyatt Diamond - HH Gold
thanks for the link utahsnow
Since I am only going to be in London for two days it is well worth it to me not to spend a lot of that time in a line. Also in a previous discussion it was stated that during the summer months you could show up to the line and not receive a booking for up to a week later.
Old Jun 1, 2001, 10:42 pm

Programs: Alaska 75K United 1K
Anyone have an idea when sunset is
now in London?
thanks
Old Jun 1, 2001, 10:45 pm

now in London?
thanks
Old Jun 1, 2001, 10:48 pm

now in London?
thanks
Old Jun 1, 2001, 10:49 pm

now in London?
thanks
Old Jun 2, 2001, 6:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

When we were there around Jan 1, the earlest tickets were 4 days out.

For sunset, Yahoo has a weather channel that gives sunset.
Old Jun 4, 2001, 8:47 am

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by boycruz:
now in London?
thanks
</font>
Presently it's nearly 10pm

Old Jun 4, 2001, 2:48 pm

Hi Eric the half a bee:
I dont know if you are in London now but just in case that you are still in the U.S., here are my 2 cents. I was in London during the last week of December. The hotel concierge booked the ticket. After waiting for an hour, the eye had some mechanical problems that they had to fix and it was closed just when it was my turn to ride it. They gave the option of having the money back or coming back with the same ticket. I was leaving the next day in the afternoon, so I got up early, went to the front of the line, used the same ticket and finally rode it. It was worth it. My advice is to go to this attraction at the beginning of the trip in case that you have to reschedule.
Old Jun 4, 2001, 7:41 pm

I was in London for New Years and tickets are really not as hard to come by as one might think. The risk in purchasing your tickets in advance is they are nonrefundable so if you have the misfortune of booking for a day when there is terrible rain your stuck. If you wait however for a sunny day and stop by first thing you are guarenteed a wonderful experience. We followed the advice given to us by many of the locals and rode at sunset where you get the best of both worlds.

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" size="2">Originally posted by Viajera:
Hi Eric the half a bee:
I dont know if you are in London now but just in case that you are still in the U.S., here are my 2 cents. I was in London during the last week of December. The hotel concierge booked the ticket. After waiting for an hour, the eye had some mechanical problems that they had to fix and it was closed just when it was my turn to ride it. They gave the option of having the money back or coming back with the same ticket. I was leaving the next day in the afternoon, so I got up early, went to the front of the line, used the same ticket and finally rode it. It was worth it. My advice is to go to this attraction at the beginning of the trip in case that you have to reschedule.
</font>

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.