Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Should I tip the maid? [Merged threads]

Old May 15, 2001, 9:00 pm
RAD
Original Poster

Location: Denver, CO USA UA_Premier Exec, Hilton Gold,Marriott Gold, Starwood Gold

I've been travelling constantly since 1981 (ok, one year off in 1998) and these questions have always bugged me:

Do you tip the chambermaid at the hotel?
How often?
How much?
Why or why not?

I rarely do unless I'm at a real up-market property, even then just at the end of my stay. Am I a tightwad?

RAD
Old May 15, 2001, 9:04 pm
Moderator Hilton Honors, Travel News, West, The Suggestion Box, Smoking Lounge & DiningBuzz

Programs: Honors Diamond, Hertz Presidents Circle, National Exec Elite
Good evening...

Might want to look at a recent hashing of this topic http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum94/HTML/002527.html
Old May 15, 2001, 9:50 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP& 2Million miler, Skywards Gold, Delta Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold
It is getting more confusing. Do you tip the receptionist who upgrades you to a nicer room and the cashier who writes off a doubtful telephone bill? What does the $ 100 to $ 250 room rent cover?
Old May 16, 2001, 3:54 am

Location: WILD ANIMAL PARK (SAN), CA> GOLD-CO, MARRIOTT, HH, STARWOOD, HYATT,
In foreign countries, most hotels state 'AND SERVICE'. Yet, the Bellman, and others give me a feeling that they expect a tip for anything. Is this just from Americans or everyone?
Old May 16, 2001, 6:30 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP& 2Million miler, Skywards Gold, Delta Gold Medallion, HHonors Gold
Definitely Americans americanize the world
Old Sep 23, 2003, 7:21 pm

Programs: SK *S
Leaving a tip for the maid

Last month my girlfriend and I stayed at a rental hotel/apartment for a week in Tenerife and when we were leaving she insisted on leaving like a 20Euro tip for the maid before we left. I said not to because we pay for it when we paid the bill. Am I really cheap, or would you leave a tip in a case like this?

The apartment was kept very clean and nice, but still I don't think its expected to leave a TIP?
Old Sep 23, 2003, 7:21 pm

Programs: SK *S
Leaving a tip for the maid

Last month my girlfriend and I stayed at a rental hotel/apartment for a week in Tenerife and when we were leaving she insisted on leaving like a 20Euro tip for the maid before we left. I said not to because we pay for it when we paid the bill. Am I really cheap, or would you leave a tip in a case like this?

The apartment was kept very clean and nice, but still I don't think its expected to leave a TIP?
Old Sep 23, 2003, 8:36 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
It's usually expected to leave a tip (I've been in hotels that actually they leave envelopes in). Expected yes, always deserved, no.
Old Sep 23, 2003, 8:36 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
It's usually expected to leave a tip (I've been in hotels that actually they leave envelopes in). Expected yes, always deserved, no.
Old Sep 23, 2003, 9:38 pm
RS

Programs: American Airlines Platinum Pro
I think the tip is appropriate. Assuming you're her boyfriend, marry this girl immediately.
Old Sep 23, 2003, 9:38 pm
RS

Programs: American Airlines Platinum Pro
I think the tip is appropriate. Assuming you're her boyfriend, marry this girl immediately.
Old Sep 23, 2003, 10:22 pm

Programs: lapsed UA 1K (now a lowly 2P), HGP Platinum
Sorry, you're really cheap! The housekeeper works harder than anyone else in the place and should get tipped before anyone else.
Old Sep 23, 2003, 10:22 pm

Programs: lapsed UA 1K (now a lowly 2P), HGP Platinum
Sorry, you're really cheap! The housekeeper works harder than anyone else in the place and should get tipped before anyone else.
Old Sep 23, 2003, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fly UA MM 1K, Sleep Hyatt & IHG, Hertzer. 2022 Flyertalk Fantasy Football Champion
I leave $2-$3 per day depending on the size of the room and service level. If it's a suite I'll typically leave $5/day.
Old Sep 23, 2003, 11:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Fly UA MM 1K, Sleep Hyatt & IHG, Hertzer. 2022 Flyertalk Fantasy Football Champion
I leave $2-$3 per day depending on the size of the room and service level. If it's a suite I'll typically leave $5/day.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.