Go Back   FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Sign in using an external account

Old Feb 10, 00, 3:08 pm   #1

Airport Check In Security Questions

Anyone every ponder the stupid things they ask at the airport, when you check in? The same pointless questions that airlines always ask that really seem like a waste.

1. Has anyone asked you to carry anything aboard this aircraft? (yes, my mother and my girlfriend..what's your point?)
2. Has anyone asked you to pack something for them? (I packed a shirt for my wife, b/c she ran out of room in her suitcase)
3. Did you pack the bags yourself? (no, Alfred the butler did, but I don't think he's a threat).

I see the reasoning, but are people really that stupid. If a complete and utter stranger fronted me in the airport and offered me money to bring something on a plane for them I'd get suspicious. I think people deserve a little more credit.

What, is it going to occur to your typical traveler at that second that they were wrong to accept the responsibility of transporting someone else's goods?

I think that these questions are just pointless- target it to kids traveling alone who perhaps don't know any better, not sensible adults.

Sorry judge, I didn't realize that I was moving drugs. She seemed like such a sweet old lady...

What do you all think?

lamedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 00, 3:31 pm   #2
Original Member

We all know it's ridiculous. Unfortunately, I've seen that it just causes trouble to people that don't speak English as their first language who are confused enough in a foreign airport.

If I've got a couple of hours to kill, I should ask, "Oh, you mean that guy in the turban who was muttering about American capitalist pigs?" :O
Tino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 10, 00, 3:40 pm   #3
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This was discussed in the following thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/Forum94/HTML/000380.html

PremEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 00, 11:55 am   #4

As someone who works in the travel industry one thing has come very clear to me. The general public are ignorant, border line stupid. There questions are to weed them out and keep them off my flights. I have friends who are travel agents who get asked how long it takes to drive from LAX to HON. Yes that is DRIVE like in a CAR! Do you really want this person in the seat next to you? If they are that challanged how easy would it be for someone to pass on a little package to them? Think about it. I just live with the little questions and get to the airport a bit early.
Loihi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 00, 12:09 pm   #5

Programs: UA, Hilton Gold
Yes, they are such simple questions that take no time at all. I don't think that the questions should only be targeted at certain people, kids for example. I'm under 20, and I already am treated as a miscreant when I stand (rightly) in the First Class/Premier line...now I'm considered a security hazard? Just because we're kids, doesn't mean we're necessarily more stupid than others. I think that the security questions should be consistent for all passengers.

[This message has been edited by flaii (edited 02-11-2000).]
flaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 00, 12:48 pm   #6

Flaii, I di not say that kids traveling were stupid. I am saying that the general vacationing public are a bit un-educated in how things work. As the questions, I get asked every time I fly, regardless how I am dressed or what line I am in. Every time. It is the same questions every time as well. They are very fair because if they were not the civil rights people would go in and get people in trouble.
Loihi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 00, 1:59 pm   #7
Original Member

Programs: miles&more, MileagePlus
the questions make us all frequent liars (as PremEx did put it correctly some times ago). Whenever you admit, that your luggage has been unattended in your hotel room during breakfast, or in the hands of the hotels concierge/porters, they have to search your luggage and that takes at least 20 minutes or more.
Rudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 00, 2:52 pm   #8
Original Member

The questions are a nuisance and inconvenient, but I answer them honestly. Why not? I am accurate (e.g. in the back of a taxi with me in it) and sometimes it inconveniences me. However, I would sooner not be blown out of the sky. Answering honestly does not eliminate those with malevolent intent but does screen those who are honest/naive. What's the problem with that?
james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 00, 2:53 pm   #9
Original Member

The questions may seem lame, but if they stop one problem aren't they worth it.

Most of us here are seasoned travellers.
Many of the folks travelling aren't. They don''t know there way around airports, its these infrequent flyers that these questions
are designed for.

Anytime you question US airport security, ask yourself "when was the last time a plane was hijacked from a US airport".

Maybe the questions seem lame, but the results seem very good.
Boomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 00, 3:59 pm   #10
Original Member

>Maybe the questions seem lame, but the results seem very good.

I don't think that the questions prevent terrorism in the air. My guess (not being a terrorist) is that if they want to get something onto a plane, those questions aren't going to be what stops them.
Tino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 00, 4:03 pm   #11
Original Member

Tino, you might be right, but Boomer is "more" right - I don't think a passenger has been lost to hijack on a US carrier in 30 years.
james is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 00, 4:18 pm   #12

Programs: AP
I think that the "dumb" questions are part of a complex web of measures that help keep US travel safe.
One thing that puzzles me is that anyone can pass through security and enter the boarding lounge areas in US airports. In Canada you must be a ticketed traveller or have a pass to accompany one who is a minor or disabled. This means that: 1) 99% of "meet and greet" happens on the main arrivals concourse (no group hugs at the top of the ramp). 2) There is no theft at security since everyone passing through is documented. 3) Baggage claim is in a "secure" area. 4) The boarding areas contain only those travelling, not their extended families to the 5th generation.

[This message has been edited by unGrounded (edited 02-11-2000).]
unGrounded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 00, 5:07 pm   #13

Actually, unGrounded, baggage claim is in a non-secure area in most airports in Canada. Toronto's is secure in T2 and T3, but in other large airports, like Dorval and Vancouver, and in all the smaller ones, baggage claim is out in the open along with the meet and greet area. That's one of the reasons why I almost never take advantage of using lounge facilities on arrival; I'm worried that somebody will steal my luggage while I'm in there.

islandcub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 00, 6:45 pm   #14

Programs: AP
You're right, of course. I was thinking of YYZ when I posted. I almost always fly international into YVR so baggage claim is secure because of customs. Sorry to mislead.
unGrounded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11, 00, 7:42 pm   #15
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Agree with james and boomer that the questioning nuisance seems a bit of a hassle but that being cooperative and honest here is a small thing to ask.

The system is somewhat imperfect- just like me!
doc is offline   Reply With Quote