Wiki Posts
Search

Around the world in a 737?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 14, 2001, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Programs: United
Around the world in a 737?

Is it possible to fly around the world in a 737? I'm talking about regularly scheduled airline service. I know that you can fly from Australia to Fiji and other Pacific islands in a 737. Can you get to Midway? If so, you can then fly on an Aloha 737 to Honolulu then to Oakland, California. From there, you can fly across the U.S. on far too many 737s. But what about over the Atlantic? This includes from South America to Europe or Africa. From Europe or Africa, I'm sure you could work your way to Australia on 737s.
Old Mar 14, 2001, 8:45 am

Location: Southwest Desert, under a rock, watch out! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~<" You can get there, but it's gonna cost you!
Programs: Previously NonePass®, now UA 1K (*Enhanced*)
Man.... talk about self abuse.
Old Mar 14, 2001, 8:59 am

Planning a trip for your mother-in-law?
Old Mar 14, 2001, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
It's possible except for mid-Atlantic to North America.

YVR-HNL (73G-FJ) or OAK-HNL (HA), HNL-NAN-SYD/AKL (FJ), AKL-SYD (NZ/QF/AN)

SYD - QF or AN SYD-DRW, possibly to some place in Indonesia for a Silk Air or other carrier to BKK.

Might be able to do HNL-HKG via Air Micronesia 738.

Connections across Asia from BKK/HKG on a P.R.C. airline, continuing wth TG & one of the India airlines to the west of India and possibly on to the middle east by one of the gulf state carriers. BA franchisees fly from the Mediterrenean to London.

BA (GO) to KEF. Here's the catch now. No 737 service from Iceland (or anywhere else on the Atlantic coast) to N. America.
Old Mar 14, 2001, 12:32 pm
Original Member

not quite right--I believe that Icelandair flies 737s from Keflavik to Halifax, thence connecting to AC (I assume they still have a CP 737 going somewhere from YHZ), to YYZ, to ORD, to wherever!
Old Mar 14, 2001, 1:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks. I assmed FI's KEF-YHZ service was a stop for their BOS/BWI service thus was on a 757.
Old Mar 14, 2001, 2:08 pm
Original Member

Programs: BA Gold, ex-BD Gold, SPG Gold, HH Gold
FI flies to BOS and BWI non-stop from KEF, but I believe on 757; I can't speak for Halifax. They're also supposedly in the process of converting the entire fleet to 757s, so that leg could still prove a challenge. At least until the completion of the fleet changeover, FI also flies 737s from KEF to some Continental European destinations.
Old Mar 14, 2001, 4:46 pm

Programs: BA GGL, FPC Plat, HH Diamond, IHG Amb
KEF YHZ is still a 737, for now.

But I agree--talk about self-abuse.

AND think about the fare:

FJ: YVR HNL/X NAD/X BNE CAD1525.00
QF: BNE DAR/X DPS CAD 701.00
BO: DPS YOG/X CGK/X SIN CAD 449.00
MI: SIN RGN CAD 744.23

[We up to CAD3419.23, and we aren't even out of SE Asia! This is as far as I have gotten, and I have to go to a meeting now. I'll figure out how to get to India and the Gulf later... ]

Old Mar 14, 2001, 4:53 pm

Programs: Lifetime: UA Gold, AA Gold, & Marriott Titanium
On the pacific leg, you could also do Aloha to HNL, then Continental Micronesia Island hopper to Guam and on to HKG.

The atlantic route is the hard part. The FI flight to Halifax is a 757. First Air flies from Iqualit, Nunavut (YFB) to Kangerlussuaq, Greenland (SFJ) on a 737. You should be able to get to YFB from YYZ, YOW, or YUL on a 737. On the other side, you can get from continental Europe to KEF easily on a 737. The question then is can you get from KEF to Greenland on a 737.

As best as I can determine, the answer is no. Air Iceland seems to fly to Kulusuk (KUS) and maybe Narsarsuaq (UAK) but the largest plane they fly is a Fokker 50. So maybe if we change the question to can you fly around the world using only 737s and turboprops, the answer would be yes.

[This message has been edited by Dudster (edited 03-14-2001).]
Old Mar 14, 2001, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United
"But I agree--talk about self-abuse"

Hey, I didn't say I wanted to do it. In fact, it seems like a miserable thing to do. I'm just wondering if it's possible. It would be pretty wild if it were.
Old Mar 14, 2001, 4:59 pm

Programs: Lifetime: UA Gold, AA Gold, & Marriott Titanium
Originally posted by AC*SE:
KEF YHZ is still a 737, for now.
I just checked Iceland Air's website and they are showing this as a 757-200

Old Mar 15, 2001, 12:12 am
jet

Programs: UA MM; DL SPG HH Gold
I think the only 737 I'd want to do this in would be a BBJ...
Old Mar 15, 2001, 7:37 am

If you are really interested in this sort of thing, I might suggest another group I am in: [email protected]

FYI to other listmembers, this is a very good group for general airline info for Airline/Airliner enthusiasts such as myself!
Old May 7, 2015, 4:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Fun to revive this thread....

Now that the Atlantic gap will be closed.

WS (Westjet) is starting/restarting Canada-GLA and DUB service so it will be perfectly feasible to cross the Atlantic on a 737.

So far, I can see

DUB-YYT or GLA-YHZ with 737 connections on WS to YVR-HNL. FJ picks up with HNL-NAN-SYD, QF SYD-DRW, MH DRW_KUL-BOM, MS BOM-CAI-ATH, assuming FR flights are all 737 (website has no a/c info), then ATH-STN-GLA/DUB

http://www.gcmap.com/map?P=gla-yhz-y...X=720x360&PM=*

Last edited by YVR Cockroach; May 7, 2015 at 4:36 pm
Old May 7, 2015, 5:20 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Don't forget the UA Island Hopper. Can get you all the way from EWR-HKG on a 737. I booked such last April; MX issues caused some trouble, but that saves the Australia "diversion" if you don't want that.

Link goes to my blog. Someone decided that's important to share.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.