Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Monorail at EWR to possibly be closed for up to 4 months?

Old Mar 27, 2000, 7:07 am
doc
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend
Original Poster

Reportedly, yes. The reason is RUST! These "design flaws" that allowed water to seap in through poor welds may well cost $25 million to repair!

Those of us who use EWR often know that the pedestrian overpass connecting terminals is also scheduled to be closed due to the massive ongoing construction/parking projects. What a mess! I guess they will run shutle busses. Hopefully they can straighten it out promptly!

They will likely wait 'til after Labor Day to fix this- thankfully!

UPDATE: Now they are saying that work will likely begin in May! ???????? Please lets make up some minds here!

[This message has been edited by doc (edited 03-27-2000).]
Old Mar 27, 2000, 7:18 am

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Oh no, please say it's not so. I thought my days of waiting & waiting for the bus to the parking lot were over for good. Looks like travel this summer will be a nightmare out of Newark again!
Old Mar 27, 2000, 6:35 pm

Lovely!
Old Mar 27, 2000, 6:43 pm
Original Member

I hate to say this.. BUT I will..
LGA.. JFK here I come..Thanks for th
heads up doc!
Regards,
Mike
Old Mar 28, 2000, 3:33 pm
Suspended

They hit us for $3 that's to be used for airport enhancements such as the monorail.Then once completed they raise the parking @ EWR by $4 cause of the monorail.That seems to reason that they will lower it while there is no service except for as before back to the buses-don't worry I'm not gonna hold my breath on that one!! Found that parking at the Wydham-Garden Hotel is only $7 a day the probs is gotta go inside to the desk to pay with the credit card,and need to take the mono to get to the shuttles guess they will have to circle while repairs are on oh goody some more traffic for EWR just what was missing.
Old Mar 28, 2000, 4:16 pm

New to this board
Hello,
Just wanted to say that although waiting for the bus will be quite the pain, I think the rail is in need of a fix. Had an experience just this month. Got on the monorail at about 6pm with about 5 others - doors closed, doors opened, doors closed, doors opened. On and on for a good 2 mins. or more while we all pretended to be totally unconcerned. The rail was sluggish and kept stopping throughout the ride to lot D3. So much so that all the other passengers were smirking while telling me, "good luck" as they were leaving. All I kept thinking, as I found myself alone and stopped once again, was how in the world I was going to jump to freedom this high off the ground? Not a pleasant exp. As I was pulling up to terminal A to get my travel mates, I see them leaning in the window of a police car they flagged down to inquire about any trouble in the area. I had been gone for a little over 1 and 1/2 hours and they thought I had been mugged or worse. Well, we all had a good laugh over it, but I am not keen on repeating it and would much rather take the bus at this point!

[This message has been edited by Lvjava (edited 03-28-2000).]
Old Aug 13, 2000, 8:13 am
doc
Original Poster

As air travel set a record earlier this summer- with major domestic airlines flying fuller planes than at any time since World War II- Newark Airport, the New York area's busiest, was putting its monorail on sick leave. The system was partly shut for repairs on July 8 and will be completely closed after Labor Day, possibly till the end of the year.
http://www.nytimes.com/library/trave.../pt000813.html
Old Aug 13, 2000, 10:46 am

It's about time they will fix the poor monorail. when I was there last winter it was out of order 4 times out of 5. When I was there yesterday, it was working , but when I needed it , it stopped 10 inches before the doors and they didn't open , after a few minutes the took it back to terminal B and announced it will take like an hour to fix!

b.t.w - I still think that ewr with busses instead of monorail is much much better than jfk!
Old Aug 14, 2000, 3:31 am
Original Member

Location: In protest of Flyertalk's uncalledfor censoring of my point of view, I cancelled my InsideFlyer subscription. So long, and thanks for everything.
I am very upset and disturbed by this whole monorail thing....

Because I will not be able to get around EWR quickly and efficently? Nah! What planet are you on! Saavy travellers gave up on that at Newark long ago.

They are taking away one of my secret leisure destinations for my 4 and 5 year old kids:

FLIGHT FANTASY LAND AMUSEMENT PARK!

We often make the 15 minute car trip to EWR to spend a day at this lovely amusement park and it's many themed areas:

IRATE LAND: Watch the people get pissed as they wait on interminable lines at the check in at terminal C. See the funny faces as people realize that:
-the guy in front of them is buying tickets for next month (as there is no advance sale desk at EWR)
-the family of 12 in front of them is checking in 36 pieces of luggage and just now thought it would be a good idea to put their name and address on each bag with the airlines free luggage tags
-the E-Ticket machines do not work for international travel
-There's no chance in hell that they'll make their flight

FANTASY LAND: Watch the people get in line to board flights. See how the first mention of "preboard" causes the entire airport to rush an individual gate. See the abundance of "carry-on" baggage pile up as trevelers engae in the fantasy that the stuff they are lugging could ever fit into the sizers. Watch them all pretend that they will get anywhere on time.

THE WORLD OF IMAGINATION:
Watch the funny looking people make funny looking faces as they work their way around the terminals in search of something edible. Many settle on a pig-lip hot dog or Chicken McNuggets...or a wilted salad - and try to imagine that it's edible. Many also imagine how it's possible that a place as busy as EWR can not have a real, good restaruant anywhere.

DEALTOWN USA: Head for the Northwest gates in terminal B. Watch as the people in the funny red jackets try to get people to take later flights by offering people tickets on future delayed flights. Watch what what they do when all flights are cancelled.

THE WORLD OF LIES: Look at the big monitors! 2 hours flight time to Montreal...2 hour flight time to Washington DC...etc. See how the airlines have added boarding delays, waiting in take-off line delays, waiting for gate after landing delays and the like into the schedule. See how a 45 minute flight is scheduled for 2 and 1/2 hours, and how this lets the airlines claim a splendid on time record!!!! (Remember to amaze yourself that even with the lies, United STILL can not get anywhere on time. They seem to use all their lying directly to the passengers instead of the schedule!!)

The whole thing makes for a wonderful day...combined with rest and free food breaks at the Presidents' Clubs, the free magazines and the fun, free monorail rides, it's the best amusement park north of Orlando! With no monorail, we'll have to go to six-flags.
Old Aug 14, 2000, 10:34 am

Nothing says QUALITY like a government project...

------------------
"I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own."
Old Aug 15, 2000, 8:23 am

Programs: UA MM-1P, Hilton Life Diamond, Marriot Life Gold, ICH Spire
NJ David: Outstanding!
Old Sep 9, 2000, 8:51 am
doc
Original Poster

Just a reminder that today the monorail is closed AGAIN!

Allow extra time - as usual!
Old Sep 9, 2000, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA-Platimum 2 MM, HH-Gold, MR-Lifetime Gold, Hyatt-Discoverist
Interesting side note: while there are signs in bright orange all over Newark talking about the closure of the enire monorail system after Labor Day, I was on a functioning (between Terminals A-B-C-D1) monorail last night (fully a week after Labor Day). And yes, the monorail car we were riding in also had the sign noting the closure.
Old Sep 10, 2000, 6:15 am
doc
Original Poster

Supposedly, Saturday, 9/9/00, was the official day to close and begin the much needed repairs!
Old Sep 10, 2000, 8:02 am

I just heard on last evening's news on WABC in New York that the monorail closing means that all passengers "should allow for at least an additional 30 minutes to arrive at the airport before their flights." I wonder if the airlines are going to space their connections an additional 30 minutes to allow for people to have to board busses to comp for the monorail being down??? Also, they said that over 30,000 people a day used the monorail at EWR and those people are now being shuttled in busses. Passengers were complaining on the news last night about 10 minute additional waits for the busses.

They said that the project was $27 million and would be 100% picked up by the contractor of the project.

Well, it is not wonderful news and I am going to avoid EWR at all costs now until the monorail is up and running.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.