Wiki Posts
Search

Flights over the North / South pole?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 20, 2000, 3:09 am
R2
Original Poster

Flights over the North / South pole?

Does anybody know if there are currently any commercial passenger airlines flying routes over the North or the South pole?

Just went through some old papers and came across a certificate from Finnair for having been on the North pole, at an altitude of 33,000 feet. It was back in 1987 when they didn't yet have access to fly over Russian (or the then soviet) airspace through the trans-Siberian route so they had to go around via the polar route and through the (Berintz?) straits between Russia and Alaska for the HEL-NRT flights. It was a DC-10 with extra fuel tanks fitted to make the up to 14 hour flight.

Just curious, are there any airlines flying the polar routes today?
Old Aug 20, 2000, 3:40 am

CO will start a nonstop EWR-HKG over the north pole in March 2001.
The North pole was a forbidden zone for commercial planes until a few weeks ago.
Old Aug 20, 2000, 6:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Million Miler. (1.9M) Virgin Platinum. HH Diamond + SPG Gold

Aerolineas have I think flown Aust-NZ-Argentina over South Pole for 10 years or so.

There are regular daily Qantas 747 sightseeing flights over the south pole from Aust.

North Pole will be a MAJOR traffic corridor now Russian and Canadian have Okayed the deal re monies and route as I understand it.

Saves about 4 hours on USA-Hong Kong flights

------------------
~ Glen ~

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.