Search

Aerotoxic Syndrome || The Guardian (UK) article

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19, 2017, 6:41 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by Betawax
So we continue?

As you're not research based you'll probably not be up to date with the latest coshh regs? Have a butchers - to paraphrase, kerosine fumes or "smells" are not a good thing floating around a plane or a lab! Therefore your final sentence is slap bang incorrect.
In the context of Aerotoxic Syndrome, Karfa is correct in that kerosene fumes and smells are not the toxic fumes in question. The aerotoxic syndrome, by definition, comes from the toxic component produced from synthetic oil that has been heated to an extremely high temperature (or burnt).

Kerosene fumes aren't particularly good for you (although not particularly bad in a low dose at the level that is not a constant occupational exposure and it stinks even at an extremely low dose so as a passenger the effects are generally safe to be assumed negligible) but in a different context altogether and needs to be kept separate for discussion as two issues are not really related.
Old Aug 19, 2017, 6:45 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Betawax
So we continue?

As you're not research based you'll probably not be up to date with the latest coshh regs? Have a butchers - to paraphrase, kerosine fumes or "smells" are not a good thing floating around a plane or a lab! Therefore your final sentence is slap bang incorrect. I rest my case.

I'll see myself out.
Well you are raising a wholly different issue to the article if you are now claiming kersone and aviation fuel fumes are toxic. While there is some speculation reported on toxic fumes on planes I don't think anyone (including the article you linked to) claims it is from aviation fuel fumes.

If you truly think these are toxic fumes I suggest you stay away from any airport. Actually you should stay away from any petrol station too.

Last edited by KARFA; Aug 19, 2017 at 12:08 pm Reason: formatting
Old Aug 20, 2017, 2:56 am

I must admit that my first reaction to hearing about aerotoxic syndrome is to assume that people were imagining it. After looking at real research on the syndrome via google scholar, it looks as it appears that there is plausibly a problem here, and that research is needed. While it has not been shown that there is a real cause and effect (rather than the symptoms being psychological), it does appear that it cannot (yet?) be dismissed as yet another baseless health scare.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
What are the toxic fumes you are smelling? I am struggling to understand specifically what you think a toxic fumes smells like? I can't say I have ever been on any plane of any age for any airline and thought I am smelling toxic fumes.
You knew exactly what he/she meant (as did probably every other reader), even if they didn't use terminology you approved of. This is now in TravelBuzz, so please keep the BA pedantry/twattishness out of it.

Last edited by ft101; Aug 20, 2017 at 6:05 am
Old Aug 20, 2017, 6:39 am
Ambassador, British Airways; FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: BA GGL/CCR, GfL, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ft101
You knew exactly what he/she meant (as did probably every other reader), even if they didn't use terminology you approved of. This is now in TravelBuzz, so please keep the BA pedantry/twattishness out of it.
No I didn't know what was meant, hence the question.

Also please remind yourself of FT rules before posting, you should avoid getting personal with comments.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 6:52 am

Originally Posted by KARFA
No I didn't know what was meant, hence the question.

Also please remind yourself of FT rules before posting, you should avoid getting personal with comments.
Yeah, of course.

You may have misinterpreted my comment. The "p/t" bit was referring to the contents, nothing personal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.