Acceptance of airline food vouchers at "airport" hotels

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2017, 7:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One

I was very surprised to have my AA food voucher rejected today at a Marriott with "airport" in its name. I've used them at many properties before, without incident (including this one, but some time ago). Is this common? It seems to be poor form to market as an airport property and then not participate...sort of like marketing as an airport hotel and not providing airport shuttle service.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 7:18 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by scottmlew
I was very surprised to have my AA food voucher rejected today at a Marriott with "airport" in its name. I've used them at many properties before, without incident (including this one, but some time ago). Is this common? It seems to be poor form to market as an airport property and then not participate...sort of like marketing as an airport hotel and not providing airport shuttle service.
Which property is this? Without specifics it's really hard to say much.

I've never had a property where I am staying on a room voucher refuse a meal voucher, so some specifics would be helpful.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K and PP, AA PPro (3MM, former CK), Marriott Ambassador and LTT, Uber One
Originally Posted by Often1
Which property is this? Without specifics it's really hard to say much.

I've never had a property where I am staying on a room voucher refuse a meal voucher, so some specifics would be helpful.
I wasn't looking so much for comments on my specific situation, but rather whether this is a widespread practice.

I'd prefer not to call out the property because I generally like it, they didn't do anything "wrong" per se, and they actually ended up providing me a much greater/better benefit than the vouchers would have.

fwiw, I did not have a voucher for my stay at this particular hotel.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 9:53 pm

My experience with food vouchers is very limited, but I am surprised that off-airport hotels accept them at all. I get it has 'airport' in its name, but the hotel has no real connection to the airport, other than offering a shuttle. If the airport makes it easy for them to accept it, I guess the hotel has no reason to not accept it.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 11:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
In the past, there were times that I was given airline food vouchers, with or without an associated airline-paid hotel room, and told that the vouchersa were good *only* at F&B outlets located in the airport terminal.

Did you read the fine print on the voucher? If the airport Marriott doesn't have an agreement to accept the voucher, they probably can't be paid by the airline, so you're asking the hotel to give you free food for which the hotel will not be compensated.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
In the past, there were times that I was given airline food vouchers, with or without an associated airline-paid hotel room, and told that the vouchers were good *only* at F&B outlets located in the airport terminal.
That's my recent experience of the vouchers as well, only valid in the airport itself, not at airport hotels.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 2:37 pm
Original Poster

The fine print says nothing about where it can be used, it just says "participating vendors". The night before I used one at an off-site airport hotel, and last month I used one at a different offsite airport hotel. In neither case did I have a voucher for a stay at the hotel. I've also used vouchers at different airports than they were issued at without incident.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 2:54 pm

Originally Posted by scottmlew
It seems to be poor form to market as an airport property and then not participate...sort of like marketing as an airport hotel and not providing airport shuttle service.
Even if the hotel is directly affiliated with the airport, that's irrelevant here. The voucher wasn't from the airport, it was from a specific airline.

To me, the expectation that every hotel near an airport should accept vouchers from every single airline that serves that airport is an unreasonable one.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 5:11 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by writerguyfl
Even if the hotel is directly affiliated with the airport, that's irrelevant here. The voucher wasn't from the airport, it was from a specific airline.

To me, the expectation that every hotel near an airport should accept vouchers from every single airline that serves that airport is an unreasonable one.
If the hotel accepts the airline's hotel vouchers, then it's more likely to to accept the airline's F&B vouchers. But the airlines have become more restrictive in not only issuing the vouchers but also in how and where the vouchers may be used and how the airlines settle (or don't settle) payment for those vouchers.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 10:41 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I've never considered *trying* to use them outside the airport. Didn't know that was (or still is in some places?) a possible thing.
Scots_Al likes this.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 11:46 pm
Original Poster

I've even used them at standalone restaurants near airports! Of course, in those cases I always check first, and apparently now I will start checking even at airport hotels :-)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.