Wiki Posts
Search

On board food/refreshments.

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2017, 12:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Lifetime Platinum
On board food/refreshments.

I'm posting this under BA, but accept that this topic seems to be endemic with all airlines if what I read on here is true.
The quality of food served in all classes , on all/most airlines would appear to be sub standard nowadays, according to numerous posts here.
I suppose I am just intrigued to know just what type of food would satisfy the majority of flyers on here?
If we accept that you can't please everybody all the time, then just what is an airline supposed to do ?
If it were your airline, how would you satisfy the masses and deal with the numerous (?) complaints or in the overall scheme of things, is it really a problem?
Old Jul 25, 2017, 12:36 pm

Programs: BA GGL, LH FTL
Originally Posted by mike turnbull
I'm posting this under BA, but accept that this topic seems to be endemic with all airlines if what I read on here is true.
The quality of food served in all classes , on all/most airlines would appear to be sub standard nowadays, according to numerous posts here.
I suppose I am just intrigued to know just what type of food would satisfy the majority of flyers on here?
If we accept that you can't please everybody all the time, then just what is an airline supposed to do ?
If it were your airline, how would you satisfy the masses and deal with the numerous (?) complaints or in the overall scheme of things, is it really a problem?
Lobster and a nice medium steak would do it for me. Then again, that is probably not going to happen until my next SQ flight...
Old Jul 25, 2017, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold/OWE, several MUCCI, and assorted Pensions!
A fair question, but I guess any answer would require us [the customers] to understand fully the limitations [legal and otherwise] of food storage and subsequent preparation in an aircraft galley.

Quality may be a consideration, driven by cost, but the culinary challenges in a 'hostile' environment are going to be the determining factor.

I'm a competent home cook ... I wouldn't know where to start with what the crew have on-board!
Old Jul 25, 2017, 2:15 pm
Suspended

Programs: BA GGL, AA 1MM LT GLD, SPG PLAT, National Exec Selc, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by T8191
A fair question, but I guess any answer would require us [the customers] to understand fully the limitations [legal and otherwise] of food storage and subsequent preparation in an aircraft galley.

Quality may be a consideration, driven by cost, but the culinary challenges in a 'hostile' environment are going to be the determining factor.

I'm a competent home cook ... I wouldn't know where to start with what the crew have on-board!
Considering the likes of CX and SQ very definitely get it right, at least in their F cabins, its certainly possible. There are foods that work better than others but its not impossible to serve good food in the air.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 4:33 am
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Platinum, BAEC Silver, airbaltic VIP, HH Diamond, Radisson VIP, IHG Diamond Elite
Originally Posted by sts603
Considering the likes of CX and SQ very definitely get it right, at least in their F cabins, its certainly possible. There are foods that work better than others but its not impossible to serve good food in the air.
Not only in F. I had a very delicious meal on a 1.5h flight from SGN to SIN two years ago. In Y!
Old Jul 26, 2017, 5:02 am

Programs: BAEC Gold-GGL
I also think that some complaints about food are because the more experienced travellers remember that what now is considered first class food was the norm in economy. It's a shame that the race to the bottom means one of the things that made air travel interesting were the first things to be cut.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 5:25 am
V10

Programs: MUCCI Gold
Decent food, with some variety. Use of seasonal ingredients.

The main issue as I see it is that airlines are starting from a sub-optimal place, mainly that there is a hard (and really quite low) budget for in-flight catering and the end result is the culinary equivalent of hammering a square peg into a round hole. You end up with stuff that's not going to be all that appealing to some people, with uninspiring dishes based on cheap and not-particularly-nutritious ingredients (exhibit A - pasta).

It can be done, but it needs to be started from a point of "what our customers would be pleased to eat?" rather than "how much will it cost us?"
Old Jul 26, 2017, 5:28 am

Programs: BA Silver
You know when opening one of those foil trays on a 12 hr flight having had "Chicken or fish?" barked at you 10 secs earlier expectation is low.

A simple salad, warm bread roll and tasty pudding please.

The main should be a chicken curry or a simple to cook bit of fish with mash and a couple of veggies.

Its not rocket science but BA seem to have some very bizarre looking dishes.

Breakfast please just keep it simple and ditch the worst of the worst sausages.

Other than that I'd say to passengers to bring some snacks as the days of any more than the basic meal service are long gone in Y or even CW on some flights.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 6:15 am

Before Hiddy gets in, I'll say haggis.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 6:20 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, A3*Gold, AA Plat, HH Gold, IHG Plat Amb, Marriott Plat
It's an aircraft and not a restaurant. Food and drink also tastes different at altitude. Nobody really flies for the food, despite what the marketing might try and make of it.

I think the key though is to ensure that a minimum in quality is offered. Both in terms of ingredients and preparation. All too often what probably started the flight as a nice meal is thrown into an oven and forgotten about until served to some poor passenger.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 6:33 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
This thread was initially posted in the BA forum but because it is not specifically about BA, it has been moved here to open up the discussion to a wider audience.

LTN Phobia
Moderator: BA forum
Old Jul 26, 2017, 6:44 am

Programs: *G
do&co seems to be able to cater turkish very well, even in economy cabin.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 6:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by T8191
The crew on board isn't cooking anything. They reheat and serve.

A typical meal is prepared 12-24 hours prior to the flight then frozen and loaded on the carts. It gets delivered to the plane an hour or so prior to departure and then reheated on board before presented to the passenger.

Added bonus: The ovens vary in type (some use steam, some a dry heat) and calibration so setting a 5 minute reheat cycle on the same aircraft type can lead to wildly different results, even on the same airline.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 9:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
I'm happy with the quality of plane food.
Old Jul 26, 2017, 10:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I'm happy with the quality of plane food.
I'd suggest you have reasonable -- and, more importantly, realistic -- expectations about what you're going to get; therefore "happy with" equates to "expectations met"

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.