Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Medical emergencies for Tourist visiting UK or Germany

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2017, 5:16 pm

Programs: BA Gold (OWE), Star Alliance Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by wolf72

My coverage is for USD$100,000 for a 12 day trip but I may actually ask for it to be increased now, thinking about it and just topping up my insurance a bit more. I respect the health system in the UK and Germany which is why I ask.
Yeah I'd try and get that increased. 100k might not cover everything if something should happen.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 7:10 am

Most certainly. I always travel with medical insurance but as I said, times have changed (esp. with the NHS) over the last few years and that's why I was asking all these questions.

My coverage is for USD$100,000 for a 12 day trip but I may actually ask for it to be increased now, thinking about it and just topping up my insurance a bit more. I respect the health system in the UK and Germany which is why I ask.
$100,000 isn't enough to be honest. When I was in America, I was in hopsital for 4 hours and got charged over $4,000. Imagine if you have an operation or need to stay longer, you need a lot more. Ask your provider what amounts they cover, if they don't cover enough, go to another one. Most travel policies here have medical coverage upwards of Ł2M. If you need to be flown home, that could cost upwards of Ł25,000 on top of treatment.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 11:12 am

Originally Posted by nmh1204
If you need to be flown home, that could cost upwards of Ł25,000 on top of treatment.
That is a very optimistic figure.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 11:33 am

Originally Posted by mmff
That is a very optimistic figure.
was just a guess really. I had a quick google, and to repatriate a body costs can be as high as Ł17,000.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 4:29 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Most insurances being offered have "unlimited" costs for emergency evacuation, which is what you are referring to in the event of a medical emergency that requires a customer who needs further medical treatment at home to be evacuated by private medical jet home. The travel insurance i have covers this for sure as do most international travel insurances now days.

But agreed, the USD$100,000 provided for medical expenses may not be sufficient, esp. if surgery and extended stay in hospital plus care and other costs are taken into account.

My current int. travel insurance is fixed so i have requested to purchase a secondary one to increase the amount of coverage for medical and other expenses. Yes, will cost me more but, if something does happen (fingers crossed nothing will), then it may be essential.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 5:12 pm

Most insurances being offered have "unlimited" costs for emergency evacuation,
Never heard of that. Whenever I've purchased travel insurance, the amount of cover for medical expenses including repatriation is usually Ł5m as standard, or more for the premium policies, but there's always a limit.
Old Jul 22, 2017, 5:59 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by nmh1204
Never heard of that. Whenever I've purchased travel insurance, the amount of cover for medical expenses including repatriation is usually Ł5m as standard, or more for the premium policies, but there's always a limit.
I guess they put "unlimited" to make the policy look "good" maybe. Anyways, with any medical evacuation with an international insurance policy, the insurance company organizes the evacuation and you don't have to worry about anything.

We had to evacuate a fella who had fallen off a cliff and had internal bleeding, fractured skull and injuries to his head by air on a 1 hour flight to Singapore recently and it was almost USD$100k but the insurance organized everything.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 7:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

One more thing to consider, there is normally something in the small print about having to contact the insurance before you seek treatment (except if you are medically unable, e.g. unconscious) or they can refuse to pay the bill.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 7:57 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Any insurance worth having will agree to pay within its limits if you've been treated as a case of medical emergency.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 9:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by LondonElite
Any insurance worth having will agree to pay within its limits if you've been treated as a case of medical emergency.
Agree, but my policy, for example, says if I was capable of calling and do not, then I am liable for the first 20% of the bill (and says if you are incapable, that is ok). So if you broke your arm, for example, you can call them, in a coma, you cannot. It doesn't apply as much to UK, as most people would end up in the NHS A&E department and all charges would be the same, but in some countries there are different tiers and costs of care. Thus if you went to one that they didn't have an agreement with instead of one they did, it would cost them more money, which is where the 20% comes in. The US is the leading example of this, where hospitals next door to each other, same treatment could cost vastly different amounts.
Old Jul 24, 2017, 10:10 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Agree. In Germany, I doubt the OP will run into anything near as expensive as some of the numbers being thrown around here. If it is a catastrophic incident he'd most likely be transported home and treated there.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.