Requirement to leave passport at hotel front desk

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Requirement to leave passport at hotel front desk

Search this Thread

Old Jul 19, 2017, 7:17 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Scots_Al
Used to be pretty common practice across Europe until fairly recently. As above, it was the purpose of registering your stay with the local police, and you'd be able to get it back the next day.
I remember this especially in Italy.

More recently, hotels in Russia tend to want to keep the passport for a few hours or overnight to register your visa. Apparently not every front desk agent is able to do the process.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 7:43 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Often1
The practice dates back to the days before photocopiers / scanners. At least a time when these certainly weren't standard equiptment at the front desk for use by mere clerks. The clerk filled out a fiche d'hotel and the police came around late at night, looked at passports and collected the fiches which they then filed.

There are places which still do that. Best to bring your own photocopy. If the front desk won't accept the copy, you have a choice of not registering and heading off to another property or leaving your passport.

I wouldn't say "never" if you are staying at a down-market property in a place where you don't speak the language and don't know the area.

If it is of great concern, telephone the property in advance.
If you've already PREPAID for a hotel, you can't go elsewhere.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 7:50 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The ONLY time a hotel wanted to hold my PP was in Vienna in the early 70's. In those days to cash travelers checks(do they still exist) you had to show a PP; I noted this to check-in agent...so he let me retain my PP.
PS: The agent was only going to record info from PP, but wanted to do it on his "leisure" time.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 8:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by DesertNomad
I've had to leave my passport at the hotel front desk at several hotels in Iran and smaller hotels all over Asia.
+1.

Originally Posted by DesertNomad
I don't stay in large Western chains, but in 1-2 star local places.
Guess all those people who said that they 'never' encountered this and/or would not leave their passport always stayed at big Western chains.

I would suggest them to go to Vietnam/Saigon or Thailand/Chang Mai and stay at a budget hotel and experience this on their own to see that is is quote common practice.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 9:02 am

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Originally Posted by invisible
In Vietnam and Thailand twice in each country I had request to leave passport at front desk - they were budget hotels for $30-$40 per night.

I gave them photocopy of the passport and on the objection told that my passport is at the immigration department for visa extension. It shut them up.
Thailand sounds strange, since the law requires that you carry your passport with you at all times. ( Not saying I do so, but it is a requirement).
Old Jul 19, 2017, 9:27 am

Programs: UA Pt, Marriott Ti, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by nrr
If you've already PREPAID for a hotel, you can't go elsewhere.
Why not?
Old Jul 19, 2017, 10:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

It's been a while since I was asked to leave mine, but I do always carry a photocopy of it just in case of this (and also in case of loss / theft).
Old Jul 19, 2017, 10:42 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gobluetwo
Why not?
I can go elsewhere, but the NEW hotel will NOT reimburse me for the money I already paid for the first hotel.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 12:42 pm

Programs: UA 1K 1.7MM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I remember this especially in Italy.
I've had this happen in Italy, but I refuse, saying I will wait at the desk until they've copied the information they need.

More recently, hotels in Russia tend to want to keep the passport for a few hours or overnight to register your visa. Apparently not every front desk agent is able to do the process.
Unless this has changed, it is a legal requirement in Russia, and you have no choice. It has been typically 3-4 hours for me (always at a large hotel).
Old Jul 19, 2017, 12:45 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
IIRC in Russia you're officially required to carry the passport at all times. Many countries have this rule, although it might not be publicized or enforced.

You tend to need it to change money and to rent a car and drive.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 3:43 pm
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Sure, but I make them photocopy the passport.

OTOH, Korean hotels - at least the local budget ones (and jjimjilbang) - have never asked for an ID. North Korean ones though...our tour guide kept 'em.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 3:57 pm

Programs: UA 1K >2MM, IC Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by pharmawalk
I would never agree to leave my passport at the front desk....some type of scam IMHO.
Legally, you cannot consent to this because a passport isn't your property, but the property of the associated government. I hold two passports and have tussled with Australian immigration and customs about my non-Australian passport when they have demanded to see it. They've always relented when faced with this argument.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 4:39 pm

Programs: aeroplan continental
Never recently but years ago always.

Have not had to leave passport for quite a few years but it was standard in Asia and Europe years ago. This year China just took photocopies. Their issue could be a cost or even lack of photocopier in some Asian countries depending on the hotel quality.

Originally Posted by invisible
Ok, this does not apply to to Western/5* hotel chains but at number of places around Asia they require not only show, but actually leave your passport at front desk.

Have you encountered such demand and how did you deal with it?
Old Jul 19, 2017, 5:33 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I've had to do it a few times, but not in recent years. I'd be asked to leave it at check-in and get it back the next day or perhaps late the same evening if the clerk saw me passing through the lobby.

I assume the hotels are feeding the information to the local cops. *shrug* Not much you can do, other than leave the country...

Italy is definitely one that I remember doing this.
Old Jul 19, 2017, 7:20 pm

Programs: Qantas FF, Korean Air, Emirates FF, Mariott, IHG, Hilton
I've only stayed in a hotel in Seoul and nope, I didn't have to leave them my passport. I don't understand why you would? This would give me so much damn anxiety.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.