Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Status of law to ban separation of children on US flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 19, 2017, 10:25 am
Original Poster

Greetings.

Last summer, there was wording in the FAA Reauthorization Bill of 2016 that would require the FAA to create rules (in one year) requiring that airlines not separate a child under 13 years old from a guardian on the same flight.

I can find lots of discussion of the original bill, but no status of the actual rules and their rollout. What is the status of this change?

Thank you,

Mark
Old Jun 19, 2017, 1:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
It looks like the language was included in the law - FAA Extension, Safety, and Security Act of 2016 - Section 2309(a).

So it looks like the FAA has about a month to "if appropriate", establish a policy directing air carriers to establish a policy.

So it sounds like it's possible that something might happen to start maybe doing something, possibly. Maybe.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 3:20 pm

It says adjacant seat. That doesn't mean contiguous. It also says that the airline will seat them together wherever "practicable". I can't wait to see mums thinking they "know" their rights and argue they have to sit in the seat next to their child. The FAs could just say it's not practical tbh.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 4:32 pm

Programs: AA, UA lowly commoner
Originally Posted by nmh1204
I can't wait to see mums thinking they "know" their rights and argue they have to sit in the seat next to their child.
Whereas dads will, of course, be either more reasonable or better informed?
Old Jun 19, 2017, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
It says adjacant seat. That doesn't mean contiguous.
ad·ja·cent əˈjās(ə)nt/ 1.
next to or adjoining something else. "adjacent rooms"
synonyms: adjoining, neighboring, next-door, abutting, contiguous, proximate;
What are you thinking the difference is (other than the correct spelling?). There aren't barriers between airline seats as is the difference in hotel rooms.

It also says "to the maximum extent practicable", not just "whenever 'practicable'"
Old Jun 20, 2017, 3:54 am

Originally Posted by Giggleswick
Whereas dads will, of course, be either more reasonable or better informed?
No, but most of the posts on here about parents demanding to sit next to their kids are about mums.

Originally Posted by CPRich
What are you thinking the difference is (other than the correct spelling?). There aren't barriers between airline seats as is the difference in hotel rooms.

It also says "to the maximum extent practicable", not just "whenever 'practicable'"
Adjacent doesn't have to mean touching, directly next to. And I didn't say whenever, I said wherever. Yes, the law says maximum extent practicable, but there's not always going to be an option that's practicable, hence I said wherever.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 8:39 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
The law, or regulation or whatever, doesn't seem to have any teeth to it.

The "where practicable" bit effectively means the airlines don't have to do anything. I imagine if I ask a GA about this rule before my flight tomorrow, he/she will look at me like I'm crazy. I wonder if they've even heard of it.
Old Jun 20, 2017, 12:11 pm

Programs: BA
I'm not sure why the FAA makes such heavy weather about the issue. The CAA in the UK, and I believe in many other countries as well, required this long ago. I understand US carriers departing from the UK have to comply with this.

It's not hard for the seat allocation system to handle it at point of reservation. The family group is often just presented with seats rather than getting choice, but there you go.
Old Jun 21, 2017, 9:36 am
Suspended

It says adjacant seat. That doesn't mean contiguous. It also says that the airline will seat them together wherever "practicable". I can't wait to see mums thinking they "know" their rights and argue they have to sit in the seat next to their child. The FAs could just say it's not practical tbh.
It also states the guardian in the SINGULAR. That means one adult...I cannot wait for the families screaming that mommy and daddy are separated as a violation of the law when in reality the airline only has to keep ONE adult with the spwan.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 2:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Without getting into the merits of the law

No one is guaranteed a specific seat so people can be moved. I'm saying this to mean with in COS that they purchased.

So premium cabin people would be within the premium cabin, Y within Y, E+ within E+ etc
Old Jun 23, 2017, 10:52 pm

Programs: gate lice
I don't understand why the FAA is making a big fuss about this.

Once this is enacted, all its going to do is embolden seat-poaching and seat-swapping families. I've had parents with teenage kids yell at me -- a teenager who usually flies solo -- about how they really, really, really need to sit with their kid, and my aisle seat in particular. It's bloody disgusting how inconsiderate some helicopter parents can be.

It's really unnecessary to force kids 8 or above to sit next their parents.

I posit that the FAA amends this proposed regulation such that at least one parent or designated adult relative be with their spawn in the same cabin. That way we'll stop the parents who fly in F and leave their 6-year-old unattended in Y, without subjecting innocent families to a bureaucratic mess.
Old Jun 23, 2017, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by leungy18
I don't understand why the FAA is making a big fuss about this.
I tend to agree - make the parents responsible for seating arrangements that keep their family together. However, I don't want to be held up in an evacuation as mum or dad are battling against the flow to get to their kids.

Ryanair introduced a rule that if there are kids in a booking, at least one adult must pay the going rate to pre-book a seat and can then select (free) adjacent seats for the kids. That seems reasonable enough to me.
Old Jun 25, 2017, 10:38 am

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Originally Posted by WHBM
I'm not sure why the FAA makes such heavy weather about the issue.
Most of the "good" seats on US flights are quickly snapped up by Frequent Flyers and those willing to pay extra $$$, thus leaving only scattered seats for families that book late.

The airlines dilemma than becomes, which FF or $$$ customers do they boot into the poor seats so families can sit together?
Old Jun 25, 2017, 1:02 pm

Programs: HH Gold. (Former) UA PP, DL PM, PC Plat
Originally Posted by RRDD
The airlines dilemma than becomes, which FF or $$$ customers do they boot into the poor seats so families can sit together?
The airlines block seats for gate assignment so that they can accommodate small children, passengers with disabilities, etc. Those seats look taken on the web site and apps but they are actually available for use in such situations.
Old Jun 26, 2017, 10:36 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Skymiles
This might become a nightmare on some routes (such as into and out of MCO during common school break periods) or during special events (a U8 soccer tournament that takes place in Omaha on a specific week).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.