Others not obsessed with "Packing Light?"

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Others not obsessed with "Packing Light?"

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2017, 3:31 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
I always check-in a bag, even when the bag easily fits above my seat. Making sure I have adequate space to put it is a major source of anxiety for me.

So I just check it in. The extra 10-15 minutes waiting at baggage claim is not worth me schlepping the bag and stressing about carry-on space.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 9:23 am

Programs: AS-GoldMVP,Hilton, Hyatt, Hertz
Originally Posted by james318
I always check-in a bag, even when the bag easily fits above my seat. Making sure I have adequate space to put it is a major source of anxiety for me.

So I just check it in. The extra 10-15 minutes waiting at baggage claim is not worth me schlepping the bag and stressing about carry-on space.
I always check a bag as well. I don't like to schlep, and I hate having to fight silly little things like going in to the bathroom and getting a bag in and out of the bathroom stalls. LOL LOL
Old Jun 18, 2017, 10:10 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Just being able to take whatever toiletries I want is worth it for me.

The only thing I need to show security is my laptop. They pretty much leave my phone and Kindle alone in my jacket, but no biggie if they don't. Everything else is checked.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 12:06 pm

Originally Posted by mandolino
Just being able to take whatever toiletries I want is worth it for me.

The only thing I need to show security is my laptop. They pretty much leave my phone and Kindle alone in my jacket, but no biggie if they don't. Everything else is checked.
Just out of curiosity, what else would you expect to show them if you didn't check everything else? I almost always just travel with a backpack, but I can't think of anything I regularly have to take out of my bag besides my laptop. I've never been hassled about any toiletries.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 12:20 pm

I'll admit that traveling light is a bit of a badge of honor for me, but that's mostly a personal thing. I'm one of those people that can easily expand to take enough stuff to fill a bag, no matter how big that bag is. I'm also a bit more of a play it by ear traveler, especially when going for leisure, and walking around a town with a lot of heavy luggage is just not that much fun. So for most of the last 15 years I've tried to limit myself to my normal book bag backpack that fits easily in the seat in front of me. The benefits of this are being able to walk easily right to the gate and I happily can be the last person on board with no need for worrying about overhead space. And then when I get to my arrival city it's easy for me to just hop mass transit to get into the city without having to go to the expense of hiring a car. And if I happen to check into a fancier hotel I'm never once approached by the bellhop. The downsides are obvious, in that I often don't have something that would come in very handy...but to be honest, I seemed to come across that with the same amount of frequency when I packed much heavier, I just also packed a ton of extra clothes that I never ended up wearing.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 1:03 pm

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Originally Posted by Dylane
Just out of curiosity, what else would you expect to show them if you didn't check everything else? I almost always just travel with a backpack, but I can't think of anything I regularly have to take out of my bag besides my laptop. I've never been hassled about any toiletries.

I'm curious also... I don't take anything out of my bag. At all (including toiletries, laptops, etc).
Old Jun 18, 2017, 1:57 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
I rarely check a bag, but often travel with a somewhat overstuffed rollaboard - overstuffed because I don't like synthetic fabrics. I'm thinking about some lighter-weight clothes for an upcoming three-week trip to Israel, though, both for convenience and for comfort.

Can anyone suggest very light-weight men's shirts and undershirts in mostly natural-fiber materials?
Old Jun 18, 2017, 2:17 pm

Programs: LH M+M
Merino Wool comes to mind.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by kb9522
I'm curious also... I don't take anything out of my bag. At all (including toiletries, laptops, etc).
Laptop and any liquids every time in any European airports I've been through recently, as far as I can remember. (This year so far, some of them multiple times: ABZ, MAN, EDI, NWI, KOI, SVG, OSL, BGO, TRD, FRA, AMS, DME, KJA [maybe that's Asia] , HAM, CPH, MUC, HAN, CDG, VCE, BLQ, LHR, LCY, STN, TLV, DUB... )

Phone and Kindle varies. Some insist, some don't bother. You can never be sure.

YMMV of course.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 3:12 pm

I certainly have, even checking toiletry things that are within the limits but they have to look at it anyway. Sometimes even in a Nexus or Pre-check line, where they're not supposed to have to be pulled out for examination.

YMMV, as has been noted.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 3:24 pm

Originally Posted by Calliopeflyer
I certainly have, even checking toiletry things that are within the limits but they have to look at it anyway. Sometimes even in a Nexus or Pre-check line, where they're not supposed to have to be pulled out for examination.

YMMV, as has been noted.
I also don't have much in the way of liquids or gels in my toiletry bag, which I'm guessing is the explanation for the different experiences. Some toothpaste and a bar of soap and maybe a small bottle of hotel shampoo are about it.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 3:11 am
ryw

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Titanium
Mostly leisure traveler, but also business travel for conferences several times per year.
packing carryon only comes down to an ease of movement for me - I usually take public transportation when I'm in new cities and having a duffle or non-wheeler light carry on + backpack does wonders for navigating stairs or crowded trains and buses. Also it makes to easier to keep it with me for safety - often trains have luggage storage at the ends of coaches which are usually out of my eyesight during the journey. My bags will generally fit in an overhead rack or under a seat/between my legs. (Admittedly it's sort of fun breezing past tourists navigating stairs with their giant rollers on the subway in New York or London, but I can understand checking a large bag for a long international trip). I've also begun mixing up my accommodations, sometimes staying at an Airbnb or rental where I can do laundry easily, so I don't have to pack quite as much.

That said im more likely to check a bag on return flights (especially from international countries where I'll usually buy a couple gifts for family and friends). For this having a large zippered tote bag or something similar is useful - I can stick it in my backpack outward, then use it as a carry on or personal item on the return.

Last edited by ryw; Jun 19, 2017 at 5:16 am
Old Jun 19, 2017, 4:53 am

I also don't have much in the way of liquids or gels in my toiletry bag, which I'm guessing is the explanation for the different experiences. Some toothpaste and a bar of soap and maybe a small bottle of hotel shampoo are about it.
Yeah....it's usually my contact lens solutions which get the second look.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:17 am

Toothpaste and shampoo have to be displayed here even if they are below the 100ml limit.
Old Jun 19, 2017, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
40 trips a year = 80 flights at least. With 20 mins at the c/i desk and 20 mins at the caroussel, it makes 3200 extra minutes = 53+ hours.

Spending 2 full days in queues you that you could avoid without a checked luggage.

But to each his/her own.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.