Community
Wiki Posts
Search

US Airports Accessible by Public Train or Regular Shuttle Service

Search this Thread

Old Jun 21, 2017, 7:36 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by pinniped
Unless they someday build it, LGA will always be the glaring example of a huge-city airport with essentially no efficient transit to the city. (Circuitous bus rides or scenic walks along Flushing Bay aside...)

It's mildly annoying that *no* New York airport has a direct rail link to Manhattan, but I guess we should be happy that you can at least exit JFK and EWR by train and connect to another train.
Circuitous is indeed a good way to describe the bus ride from LGA to 74th/Broadway or whatever that big subway station is - the one with the 7 up above and a bunch of other lines below in the subway. Its probably faster to walk! But at least you can go anywhere you want to from that station.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 1:49 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriot Platinum
SJC - VTA Light Rail and a dedicated Airport Shuttle Bus run by VTA

Last edited by Whizkid; Jun 22, 2017 at 1:59 am
Old Jun 22, 2017, 1:50 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mdkowals
Airports that should have direct rail to downtown/tourist centers: LAS, MSY
PHL
Old Jun 22, 2017, 3:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
PHL
Already does.

It is commuter rail, not Amtrak. But it really exists.
Old Jun 22, 2017, 3:10 pm

Programs: Everything
This is my source for information. It goes beyond trains and give local bus routes, etc. www.toandfromtheairport.com/
Old Jun 27, 2017, 1:43 pm

Programs: UA, AA, DL, Amtrak
Originally Posted by BearX220
SEA (light rail leaves from airport periphery, not terminal)
Yes, but it's an easy walk for able-bodied folks. And quicker to get to than some of the other airports on the list, depending on which terminal you arrive into. (I'm thinking of the plane-to-train connection when you arrive at T5 at ORD, but I'm sure there are others.)

An airport not listed in this thread (that I could see) is MKE. There's a shuttle bus to the Amtrak station nearby...the major downside is there's only 7 trains a day each way (to both downtown Milwaukee and Chicago). That said, it's a viable option depending on your schedule.
Old Jun 29, 2017, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
LAX is currently connected to light rail via a short shuttle bus ride - and has been for the last 20 years. Once at the Green Line station, one can connect to the rest of the MetroRail system. This is expected to improve with the completion of the Crenshaw Line
Old Jun 29, 2017, 7:29 pm

DFW currently has light rail service to downtown Dallas I believe.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 7:01 pm
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Virtually every us city that has public transport of some sort has a way to the airport. Some are better than others though. You'll have to google it to find out

There did use to be a rather excellent book called "airport to the city" for this very thread, but I'm pretty sure the internet made it obsolete.

Luckily for us, the price delta between public transport and a shared Uber/Lyft is making it irrelevant, especially for a party of two.
Old Aug 20, 2017, 10:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

ABQ: The 30 minute bus ride from the Amtrak station to the Sunport is painless (and only costs $1).
Old Aug 20, 2017, 11:18 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Moving this to the USA destination forum for further discussion. Thanks. /JY1024, TravelBuzz co-moderator
Old Aug 21, 2017, 6:50 pm

Programs: HHonors Gold, National Emerald Club, no airline affinity status
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
"IIRC DEN has a nonstop airport bus to a downtown transportation terminal.
They discontinued the bus to downtown every since the A Line started in Apr 16. The bus service still goes to outlaying areas like Boulder.

The A Line goes to Union Station in 37 minutes and costs $9. There are 6 stops in between DEN and Union Station. From there, you can connect on several light rail lines that go throughout the metro area. The same $9 ticket is good for the day of purchase and can be used one the entire system.
Old Aug 22, 2017, 5:29 pm

*Deleted* Sorry. Someone else already mentioned MKE

Last edited by ILpt4U; Aug 22, 2017 at 5:33 pm Reason: Missed the previous response referencing MKE -- post not needed
Old Oct 8, 2017, 1:08 pm

Originally Posted by HeavenlyJane
This is my source for information. It goes beyond trains and give local bus routes, etc. www.toandfromtheairport.com/
This website seems to me to be seriously dated. I checked it for airports that I know well and it had old information. For example, no mention of train service to SLC. The SLC page says that it was last updated in 2012 but that is not an excuse because the airport train line opened in 2011.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.