Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Asked to move to keep the plane's weight balanced??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2017, 1:52 pm
Original Poster

Recently I was asked to move from the second seat in the front to the back of an Air Canada CRJ plane flying from YYZ to RDU in order to balance the plane's weight according to the FA. The plane was almost completely full. I am 6 feet, 185 lbs. This sounds crazy to me?? Am I wrong or did the FA have a case?
Old Jun 9, 2017, 2:07 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Marriott LT Plat, AS Lounge
I've seen people moved for weight and balance issues at least half a dozen times over the years on other carriers. I imagine others here can provide a technical explanation.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 2:17 pm

Programs: UA MileagePlus
Every passenger weighs the same where weight and balance calculations are concerned, so your size and weight were irrelevant. Sometimes passengers have to be moved to bring the plane into its takeoff envelope. You can move back after takeoff.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 4:16 pm

Programs: united, Hilton, Amtrak
What is the takeoff window?

Just curious. Have never heard that term though I'm aware if pax being moved for takeoff.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 4:28 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Weight and balance re-seating happens all the time on small planes. This was not unusual, although they often ask for volunteers first before just selecting someone.
Old Jun 9, 2017, 5:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Every flight has its W&B calculated (and double-checked by a dispatcher). That is one of the reasons why flights close well prior to departure.

While it is more prevalent on smaller aircraft, I have seen passengers moved from front to rear on larger aircraft as well.

As noted, it is generally --- although not always --- necessary on departure. Once the seatbelt sign is off, ask the FA if she can obtain permission to move back (or ask at the time you are moved).
Old Jun 9, 2017, 5:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

W&B matters on larger aircraft, too. On those, however, they can usually just move cargo.

Getting the W&B wrong can be catastrophic:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nation...nes_Flight_102
Old Jun 9, 2017, 11:44 pm

I remember a few years ago that HA came under fire for announcing a new policy of weighing passengers at checkin! However in that case, I believe it was due to the "average assumed weight" per passenger was not representative of actual weight which led to increased fuel consumption.

Edit: I forgot to mention that this was on 767s no less.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 12:14 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by John Isaac
Recently I was asked to move from the second seat in the front to the back of an Air Canada CRJ plane flying from YYZ to RDU in order to balance the plane's weight according to the FA. The plane was almost completely full. I am 6 feet, 185 lbs. This sounds crazy to me?? Am I wrong or did the FA have a case?
Happens all the time on CRJs. They usually ask for volunteers, though.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 12:15 am

Programs: Avis President's Club, Global Entry, Hilton/Marriott Gold. No more DL/AA status.
Never saw it happen on any jet, even a CRJ. But I was asked once on a USAir Dash8. I'm definitely a big guy though, so while I wasn't expecting it, I wasn't surprised.

Originally Posted by eeflyer
I remember a few years ago that HA came under fire for announcing a new policy of weighing passengers at checkin! However in that case, I believe it was due to the "average assumed weight" per passenger was not representative of actual weight which led to increased fuel consumption.

Edit: I forgot to mention that this was on 767s no less.
Not even "a few years ago", that was 2016!
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7375426.html
Old Jun 10, 2017, 2:11 am

Originally Posted by Gig103
Never saw it happen on any jet, even a CRJ. But I was asked once on a USAir Dash8. I'm definitely a big guy though, so while I wasn't expecting it, I wasn't surprised.

Not even "a few years ago", that was 2016!
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7375426.html
Oh gosh, my mistake! I didn't realize it was so recently. My sense of time has been so skewed
Old Jun 10, 2017, 7:36 am

While waiting to leave our gate observed this: http://abc7chicago.com/news/none-hur...hare-/1936543/
Multiple ambulances and fire engines came to the "rescue".
Old Jun 10, 2017, 7:48 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

A plane tipping at the gate is very different from during takeoff, mostly because one doesn't have a habit of killing many passengers.

And, yes, it can be a matter of shifting just a couple people around. The acceptable window for the center of gravity can be pretty narrow so moving just a passenger or two can make a difference,, especially on smaller planes.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 7:59 am

Programs: Delta, United
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
W&B matters on larger aircraft, too. On those, however, they can usually just move cargo. Getting the W&B wrong can be catastrophic
This incident was not due getting the W&B wrong it was due to cargo being unsecured and moving thus causing a catastrophic W&B issue.

That said I have been several different planes with W&B issues that were solved by either moving or removing PAX.
Old Jun 10, 2017, 8:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

a long time ago, we were flying out of BVI on a small, 4 engine plane that i cannot find. loading was from the rear. the plane was a little over half full. everyone sat in the rear. the tail went down. the pilot came out, and rearranged the passengers. the pilot was the president of the airline. the tail came off the ground, and we flew to soju with no incidents.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.