Collect call to USA from Switzerland

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2017, 2:41 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 84fiero
You have a smartphone and apparently internet access - why isn't Skype an option?
I'm OP, I do NOT have a smartphone. As I noted somewhere here, I am relying on my hotels computer terminal located in the lobby to access the Internet, the reason I needed to make the COLLECT call had to do with a banking AND cc issue--I would not want to "broadcast" account numbers in my hotel's lobby.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 3:03 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by nrr
I'm OP, I do NOT have a smartphone. As I noted somewhere here, I am relying on my hotels computer terminal located in the lobby to access the Internet, the reason I needed to make the COLLECT call had to do with a banking AND cc issue--I would not want to "broadcast" account numbers in my hotel's lobby.
No need to get upset. Your earlier post said you were using the hotel lobby computer but didn't make clear you lacked a smartphone. You later said you have Virgin Mobile, which I do as well - I honestly didn't know Virgin Mobile still had or supported non-smartphones. I asked simply to clarify what your situation was to see if anyone could help further.

Using cheap secondary phones and local sims is good if you have occasional use for it. Personally I think if you only anticipate a rare emergency need to call, you'd be better off with grabbing a pre-paid card locally if something happens or just upgrading to a smart phone and then using Skype or similar apps, than investing in a second phone.
Old Jun 8, 2017, 2:46 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

(1)Don't they sell "cheap-o" cell phones with minutes included?--and extra minutes could be added if needed?
https://www.swisscom.ch/en/residenti...11016307).html
it seems for 30SF this would be suitable for me...but maybe I'm missing important fine points.
(2)Every credit card I have lists their USA 800 number, but notes: call xxx-yyy-zzzz COLLECT from outside the USA--I guess that info is NOT in tune with reality.
(3)For emergency use I have an acct. with "keepcalling", they have lots of USA access numbers as well as foreign numbers, but NOT Switzerland.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 6:10 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Meta-discussion has been deleted. Let's keep posts focused on the topic at hand, please. /Moderator
Old Jun 11, 2017, 7:05 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
In that case, don't ask the Front Desk. They have nothing to do with the phones. Just call the hotel Operator and let them know what you need, e.g. a collect call to a given number in the US. Let the Operator worry about the niceties of which company.
Old Jun 11, 2017, 9:38 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Often1
In that case, don't ask the Front Desk. They have nothing to do with the phones. Just call the hotel Operator and let them know what you need, e.g. a collect call to a given number in the US. Let the Operator worry about the niceties of which company.
What hotel "operator". This is a small hotel, the agents at the front desk are multi-functional = they check you in, make sure the breakfast buffet is not running low, act as the "switchboard" for incoming calls etc.
PS: It turned out that my bank made an error...I did not have to contact them.
But what about the next time--I think I'll look into getting a pre-paid "cheap-o" cell phone that works in Switzerland.
PS(PS): American Airlines (there may be CCs or banks also) have an arrangement with ATT-Direct, you dial their toll free number (one exists for nearly every country), dial AAs toll free number, you get connected (for free^).
This is a "clear" connection.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
You cannot used hotels rooms telephones. You must have to used WhatsApp. It's free. No need to pay. If you have iPhone or something like that. Do not ask front desk to collect calls. Only you have used your iPhone.
Old Jun 12, 2017, 9:18 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by N830MH
You cannot used hotels rooms telephones. You must have to used WhatsApp. It's free. No need to pay. If you have iPhone or something like that. Do not ask front desk to collect calls. Only you have used your iPhone.
As I noted (several times in this thread) I do NOT have an iphone; the phone I have is a VirginMobile pre-paid, super LOW GRADE--I do not get a signal outside the USA, I use it only in case of an emergency...like my car broke down on the highway.
But I am looking into buying a phone that works in Switzerland.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 6:55 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
WhatsApp voice is the way to go. Just get a cheap smartphone.
there's nothing special about Switzerland network that would prevent an unlocked phone from anywhere else using it.
Even if there was, you can use WhatsApp on WiFi only without network signal.

I can't remember when I last heard of anyone making a collect call. Probably not this millennium.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 8:13 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mandolino
WhatsApp voice is the way to go. Just get a cheap smartphone.
there's nothing special about Switzerland network that would prevent an unlocked phone from anywhere else using it.
Even if there was, you can use WhatsApp on WiFi only without network signal.

I can't remember when I last heard of anyone making a collect call. Probably not this millennium.
Though every credit card I have notes "if calling from outside the USA, call COLLECT xxx-yyy-zzzz" (if you want to report a lost card or other issue).
Not everyone has "smartphones", but may have need to contact their cc co.
PS: 5 years ago (this millenium) I had to call my bank from Switzerland, I was able to reach an OPERATOR and make a collect call.^
PS(PS): Getting a "cheap" smartphone is a good idea.
Old Jun 13, 2017, 10:32 am

This is an interesting discussion. Do operators still exist in most countries?
Old Jun 13, 2017, 1:41 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by erik123
This is an interesting discussion. Do operators still exist in most countries?
I'm beginning to believe the answer is NO.
As I noted in this thread, ATT USA DIRECT has set up toll-free numbers in nearly every country in the world, per their website you are 'supposed' to be able to reach one of their OPERATORS, but from my recent experience that info is not up to date. But with an ATT calling card you are supposed to be able to dial a foreign toll-free number, enter calling card info and be connected to the USA.
So this method might be better than a cell-phone if you only need to make such calls in an emergency.
PS: When I've used ATT to USA to call American Airlines, the connection is SUPER clear; most cellphone calls are just so-so clarity-wise.
Old Jun 15, 2017, 6:39 am

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
I'd just call the credit card company direct. It might seem expensive for a call but will be less than a beer in Switzerland.
Not everybody has smartphones and not everybody has a credit card but if you can afford a credit card, you can afford a smartphone.

Last edited by mandolino; Jun 15, 2017 at 6:56 am
Old Jun 15, 2017, 8:11 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mandolino
I'd just call the credit card company direct. It might seem expensive for a call but will be less than a beer in Switzerland.
Not everybody has smartphones and not everybody has a credit card but if you can afford a credit card, you can afford a smartphone.
(1)You can buy Tell Beer (COOPs own brand) for 0.80 SF
(2)But (nearly) everyone has a bank acct and an associated debit card--should you lose card, you would want to report it missing.
But I DO agree I should have some phone that works in EUROPE.
Old Jun 16, 2017, 6:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Wow, how refreshingly Retro! While I was a huge user of ATT USADirect up until the mid 1990's. I would say that the service somewhat faded with the advent of GSM telephony, the internet, the deregulation of Telecoms around the World, not to mention that ATT probably has changed composition ten times since then. I cannot recall the last time I made a collect call!

Dial 1141 for the international operator in Switzerland.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.