Collect call to USA from Switzerland

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16, 2017, 7:05 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: AA platinum; 2MM AA, Delta Diamond, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by hfly
Wow, how refreshingly Retro! While I was a huge user of ATT USADirect up until the mid 1990's. I would say that the service somewhat faded with the advent of GSM telephony, the internet, the deregulation of Telecoms around the World, not to mention that ATT probably has changed composition ten times since then. I cannot recall the last time I made a collect call!

Dial 1141 for the international operator in Switzerland.
I tried to call 1141 from the front desk of my hotel: "not a valid number" (message was in German).
Using Google I found a page of special SWISSCOM numbers, 1141 is supposed to get an operator--but doesn't; 1181 is a valid "special number", but it is for assistance with Mobile issues.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 3:06 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by erik123
This is an interesting discussion. Do operators still exist in most countries?
As of a few years ago, you could get an operator in the US by dialing 0 from a landline. I don't know if this has changed recently. Maybe I'll try it if I can think of an excuse.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 5:14 am
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

In the USA when I'm using my landline phone I NEVER in recent years have I had to contact a. VERIZON operator. About 8 years ago my landline phone had NO dial tone so I tried to call the OPERATOR to report the issue
So I could understand the front desk agent at my hotel when I asked how HE contacts a SWISSCOM operator: "I never have to contact an operator".
Line from ORIGINAL movie "Day The Earth Stood Still"
Secretary to boss "the power and PHONE lines are not working"
Boss to secretary "call the OPERATOR to report this issue..."
Old Jun 17, 2017, 11:48 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Time traveller
During the old days, there used to be a way to reach a US-based AT&T operator while traveling overseas. This was useful before the days of cell phones and prepaid SIM cards. There may still be a way to do this, but I have not tried it in probably 10 years. It may be easier to figure out how to reach a US-based operator while you are in the US and before you leave the US on your next trip.
AT&T used to give out cards which had local numbers across something like 100 countries to reach a US-based AT&T operator. When I was in my teens and travelling around the world I used it a good number of times ("standby Sir, I'm connecting you now" then "please proceed, you are now connected to your party.") I think I may have a few of these lying around in a storage box.

I doubt this is done anymore. What would be the point? Pretty much everyone has a mobile phone, and the charge would be a lot less than an operator-assisted international collect call.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 11:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by cbn42
As of a few years ago, you could get an operator in the US by dialing 0 from a landline. I don't know if this has changed recently. Maybe I'll try it if I can think of an excuse.
Wow...you just took me into a time warp. I completely forgot this!
Old Jun 17, 2017, 1:25 pm
nrr
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
AT&T used to give out cards which had local numbers across something like 100 countries to reach a US-based AT&T operator. When I was in my teens and travelling around the world I used it a good number of times ("standby Sir, I'm connecting you now" then "please proceed, you are now connected to your party.") I think I may have a few of these lying around in a storage box.

I doubt this is done anymore. What would be the point? Pretty much everyone has a mobile phone, and the charge would be a lot less than an operator-assisted international collect call.
AT&T still maintains this network, but contrary to the info on their web page, they do NOT have operator assistance. Per other info, if you have an AT&T calling card you can use this service.
As I noted somewhere in this thread, American Airlines has an arrangement with AT&T, if I dial into AT&T direct TOLL FREE for say SWITZERLAND. 0-800-89-0011 they prompt me to enter a USA based phone number, if I dial AA I get connected WITHOUT having to pay--AA "picks up the tab"^
Old Jun 17, 2017, 3:27 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
Originally Posted by nrr
(1)You can buy Tell Beer (COOPs own brand) for 0.80 SF
Merci danke.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.