Reload this Page >

UAE, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain + others cut off relations with Qatar

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jun 5, 2017, 9:57 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: SanDiego1K
Detailed discussion about impact on Qatar Air operations and whether to rebook flights can be found here.
Print Wikipost

UAE, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain + others cut off relations with Qatar

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2017, 3:28 am

Programs: QFF, AAdvantage, All
Originally Posted by Shareholder
Given one of the reasons Qatar has been blackballed by the majority of its neighbours (at least the Sunni ones) is because it finances groups like Hamas and Hezbulah, Israel's sworn enemies...so not sure your alliance would work.
As Boraxo suggested, the action appears to be hypocritical.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 4:26 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by LukeO9
How likely is Oman to also break relations with Qatar?
Oman isn't as paranoid about Iran, Al-Jazeera, and populist movements as the Saudis and Emiratis. Kuwait seems to be fine with playing the middle ground for now and is also somewhat less paranoid about those three listed in the prior sentence. This means that Oman is unlikely to shut off QR for now, at least for as long as Kuwait (and to a lesser extent Oman) try to come up with a detente arrangement where the survivors don't lose face in public.
Old Jun 6, 2017, 3:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
I figure they will pull a double whammy by having everyone travel by El Al into TLV, connecting to Royal Jordanian to AMM, then flying on Qatar over Iraq and Iran before heading into DOH.

With so many people connecting in TLV on itineraries which end in Qatar, El Al security both in and out of TLV will be so tied up that nobody else, including Israelis, will be willing to fly El Al. (Of course, most Israelis already try to avoid it but that is a different story completely.)
Old Jun 6, 2017, 4:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dovster
I figure they will pull a double whammy by having everyone travel by El Al into TLV, connecting to Royal Jordanian to AMM, then flying on Qatar over Iraq and Iran before heading into DOH.

With so many people connecting in TLV on itineraries which end in Qatar, El Al security both in and out of TLV will be so tied up that nobody else, including Israelis, will be willing to fly El Al. (Of course, most Israelis already try to avoid it but that is a different story completely.)
UIA can't join the alliance, since they get to fly into and over Russia. PIA can't join the alliance, since they can even fly into and over India. QR and LY are pretty special, but QR is a better deal than LY for me.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 5:34 am

So it seems the UAE government has offered forced bum action to anyone sympathetic to the Qatari's or Qatar's point of view
Old Jun 7, 2017, 6:07 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by JamesKidd
So it seems the UAE government has offered forced bum action to anyone sympathetic to the Qatari's or Qatar's point of view
The UAE and the KSA find themselves having issues with Qatar having plenty of support amongst even the ordinary citizens and other subjects of the UAE and/or of Saudi Arabia. This whole situation smacks of desperation or of pettiness (or both) on the part of the KSA and UAE.

Travelers to the UAE and KSA should be aware that certain forms of expression -- even if made online while outside of the region -- about this situation may result in legal problems inside those countries, even for some who may just be transiting the countries.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 6:55 am

Originally Posted by GUWonder
The UAE and the KSA find themselves having issues with Qatar having plenty of support amongst even the ordinary citizens and other subjects of the UAE and/or of Saudi Arabia. This whole situation smacks of desperation or of pettiness (or both) on the part of the KSA and UAE.

Travelers to the UAE and KSA should be aware that certain forms of expression -- even if made online while outside of the region -- about this situation may result in legal problems inside those countries, even for some who may just be transiting the countries.
Yep - agreed about the forms of expression. They get quite worked up about it
Old Jun 7, 2017, 7:45 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Just read in The Guardian that UAE are not allowing those with Resident Visa's entry or transit through UAE - has anyone with a non-Qatari passport who has a resident Permit/Visa (the old type, still in the passport) had any issues?

I have an Australian passport but still have the old permit valid until September in my passport.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 8:26 am

Programs: EY Gold, QF WP
Originally Posted by VH-RMD
Just read in The Guardian that UAE are not allowing those with Resident Visa's entry or transit through UAE - has anyone with a non-Qatari passport who has a resident Permit/Visa (the old type, still in the passport) had any issues?

I have an Australian passport but still have the old permit valid until September in my passport.
​​Might be time to hit the embassy up for a 2nd passport if you are going to need to do any travel to the UAE that can't be avoided. Show that at check-in, exit on the one your visa is in.
Old Jun 7, 2017, 9:01 am

Originally Posted by Reds2011
​​Might be time to hit the embassy up for a 2nd passport if you are going to need to do any travel to the UAE that can't be avoided. Show that at check-in, exit on the one your visa is in.
One for travel to Israel, one for travel to Qatar and yet another one for rest of the world
Old Jun 7, 2017, 9:12 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by JamesKidd
One for travel to Israel, one for travel to Qatar and yet another one for rest of the world
Nope, you don't need a separate one for Israel. It will not stamp a visa into your passport, but I would suggest not using one in TLV with a number of Arab stamps in it. It will subject you to a lot of questions.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.