Surprising airports you HAVEN'T been to/departed from/arrived at

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Surprising airports you HAVEN'T been to/departed from/arrived at

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2017, 3:55 am

Programs: Costco Executive, RaceTrac Sultan of Soda, Chick-fil-A Red
Been to Hamburg and Bremen but never used BRE or HAM.

Been to Vaasa and Tampere, Finland but never used VAA or TMP,

Been to Mora, Sweden but never used MXX.

Been to Tampa and Fort Lauderdale but never used TPA or FLL.

Been to Valencia but never used VLC.

Been to Vegas but never used LAS.

I went to Groningen in the Netherlands but I drove across the border.
Old May 19, 2017, 5:11 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Now that I think about it, the largest city in which I've never stepped foot - while also having landed at/departed from its airport - is Jeddah (JED). For the US, it's Ontario (ONT).

Last edited by BuildingMyBento; May 19, 2017 at 11:45 am
Old May 19, 2017, 7:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by stut
Been to a few countries without ever visiting the airport - Monaco, Liechtenstein and the Vatican are a given, but also Slovakia, Slovenia, Bosnia, Pakistan, Estonia, Lithuania.
Hmmm...I think I have a few of these. Monaco, Vatican, a few Carib spots, plus...

Slovakia
Hungary
Slovenia
Croatia
Macao
Czech Republic
The Netherlands
Switzerland
Greece

All visited by boat, car, or train, but never a flight.
Old May 19, 2017, 8:47 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Never: DXB, DEL, SFO (this is changing soon)
Only Transiting: LAX, BOM, DOH, AUH
Only Departing: PNQ
Old May 19, 2017, 9:16 am

Programs: UA 1MM/GS, Marriott Lifetime Platinum
Looking at it through strictly a US lens -- Wikipedia shows a list, derived from 2014 FAA data, of 30 "large hub" airport and 30 "medium hub" airports:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_o...nger_boardings

I believe I've been to all 30 "large hubs", although it's been a very long time since I've been to DTW (1993) or HNL (1986), and I've only been in CLT or SLC for connections.

When we get into the "medium hubs", there are several I've never been in, in descending order of size: DAL, HOU, OAK, RDU, SJC, SJU, RSW, MKE, PBI, BUF, ABQ.
Old May 19, 2017, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I've been to all 30 of the "large".

Mediums I'm missing: BDL, JAX, ANC, RSW. And my only visit to BNA was a technical stop: DCA-MCI on a hot summer day when our 737 had to take on a lighter-than-usual fuel load.
Old May 20, 2017, 9:05 pm

Programs: DL Silver - uh huh!
Been through DTW, MSP, PHL, BWI multiple times each but never to Detroit, Minneapolis-St. Paul, Philadelphia, or Baltimore (although I have driven through the latter two without stoping in them). Been through each of the 3 NYC airports but never out of them (have been to NYC and northern NJ).

Been to Paris twice and flown to/via Europe many times but never been to CDG or ORY.

Flown through NRT several times but have not been to Japan.

Have lived near Boston many years and flown in and out of MHT and BDL (in addition to BOS) but never PVD.

(Have visited France, Belgium, Luxembourg, Sweden, Austria, Slovenia, Hungary, Serbia, Macedonia, Bosnia & Herzegovina all without flying in or out. Have flown out of Canada and changed planes there but have never arrived by air - have arrived by road and ship.)

Last edited by Kamalaasaa; May 20, 2017 at 9:32 pm Reason: Correct airport; add countries
Old May 20, 2017, 9:26 pm

Been to Paris, never set foot in any airport in France.

Interestingly, I've been to Chicago several times. Been through ORD even more times, but never flown to ORD for the purpose of visiting Chicago, I've only ever connected through it. I live in STL, so when I have to go to CHI, it often makes more sense to drive.
Old May 21, 2017, 9:16 am
Moderator: Information Desk, Women Travelers, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold
Despite living in Dallas in the 1980s and having family who have lived there since then, and despite the fact I live in a city where Southwest has a major presence, last week was the first time I'd ever set foot at Love Field. (Granted, Chicago is also a major AA hub, and my loyalty to AA has always exceeded any loyalty to WN.)
Old May 22, 2017, 8:40 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, oneworld emerald
I fly domestically about 60-70 times a year and have never been to JFK, DFW, IAH, MIA, or DTW.
Old May 22, 2017, 8:49 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
One capital city I've visited by car but never the airport is LUX.

For several years, I regularly connected through LHR (rather than JFK) but never left the airport. I also flew into FRA regularly and used the LH airport express train but never went near Frankfurt.
Old May 22, 2017, 11:59 am

Programs: BAEC, Flying Blue, Eurostar, Miles&Smiles
I suppose it' not a real shock, but I've been to quite a few European countries - including those with famous transit hubs, but I've never flown in and out. The ease of driving or taking the train to many of the countries in this neighbourhood is too easy.

France, for example. Must have visited 70+ times, never by plane, and never via CDG.

I suppose a bit more surprising are countries like Rwanda which I've visited, but never via KIG, and DRC but never via FIH, Israel but never via TLV (land border via Jordan instead).

Another marginally interesting snippet is, with only two exceptions out of about 60 occasions, I've only ever used AMS as O&D airport, despite it being a predominantly (70%) transit airport.
Old May 22, 2017, 2:00 pm

Programs: Qantas LTG, BA-Blue, KLM -Gold, SAS - Silver
I've used Orly once, to get to/from Pau (PUF). Not a great deal of fun transferring from CDG in heavy traffic.

I've been in/out of LIN a few times, but never MXP.

Went to VCE for the first time in March this year, but only to get to Ravenna. Never been to Venice.

Never been through China, except for HKG.

never been through or to Istanbul, but been through/to pretty much every European hub. FRA a lot because of direct flights from ABZ, and even taken my wife there for holidays. She likes Frankfurt and surrounds, which she never expected to.
Old May 22, 2017, 2:13 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
Been to : ROR, GUM, MNL;
Never : OTP, NBO, SVO;
Departing only : VCE;
Arriving only : MXP;
Transit only : FRA, IAD.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.