Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Why do airlines love to use the PA system?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why do airlines love to use the PA system?

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2017, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by revv
Has anyone else noticed the overuse of the PA system lately or is it just me?
No. I've actually noticed is being reduced over the years. And I haven't had an issue with announcements during what one would expect to be a sleeping flight in a long time.

About as long as it's been since I've heard "stewardess".

Originally Posted by revv
I don't care
I don't care
I don't need
I do not care
Get off my lawn!
Old May 15, 2017, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Way back when, I used to love the AS frequent announcements while sitting in a window seat up and down the West Coast (and up through AK), pointing out all the mountain peaks and other sights. Of course, that was their only IFE at the time.
Old May 15, 2017, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Silver, Bonvoy Gold, Hyatt Discoverist
You've never experienced constant PA use until you've been on a RyanAir flight.

And good luck sleeping. They turn it up to 11.
Old May 15, 2017, 10:09 am

Programs: AA, DL, Avis, Enterprise, National, IHG, HH, SPG/MR
Are we running out of things to complain about that we're now crying about this?
Old May 15, 2017, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by enviroian
Quickly followed by "and because we are early our gate is occupied."
Nooooo. Only my announcement happens!
Old May 15, 2017, 3:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Way back when, I used to love the AS frequent announcements while sitting in a window seat up and down the West Coast (and up through AK), pointing out all the mountain peaks and other sights. Of course, that was their only IFE at the time.
yep, those of us who enjoy some situational awareness as we watch the world go by from 35000 feet are a dwindling minority ... one of the consequences of so many people feeling they HAVE TO be concentrating on one or another screen pretty much all the time
Old May 15, 2017, 3:21 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Because if I'm flying during the Super Bowl, I need the captain to provide me with an updated score at least once every 5 minutes.

More frequently if somebody actually scores, of course.
Old May 15, 2017, 5:29 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
Originally Posted by iluv2fly
Stewardess?
it's better than calling them "Waitress". Trust me on this.

(in my defense, it was during dinner service and they did serve me a lot of wine, so...)
Old May 15, 2017, 7:01 pm

My dad is a captain on AA, and he specifically avoids the PA system. He says he only makes the 2 required ones, flight attendants prepare for takeoff/landing.

His reasoning was explained to him by the check airman that trained him:

50% of people won't hear you. 50% of those people won't listen. 50% of those people won't care. 12.5% of the plane is not worth making the announcement for.
Old May 15, 2017, 10:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by jrl767
yep, those of us who enjoy some situational awareness as we watch the world go by from 35000 feet are a dwindling minority ... one of the consequences of so many people feeling they HAVE TO be concentrating on one or another screen pretty much all the time
It particularly annoys me when people have their window shades shut for SFO/OAK or other magnificent takeoffs and/or landings.
Old May 15, 2017, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Re: OP. Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that, and I had even toyed with the idea of doing a post about it, but decided it's a losing argument because my level of flight experience is likely greater than most others on the plane. So you could always make the case that there's a need for all the verbiage because of at least a few people there.

One flight that was NOTORIOUS for way too much blabbing over the PA was Northwest's BKK-NRT that left at 6 a.m. The initial long spiel plus anything the pilot said was repeated afterward by an FA in Japanese, and then another in Thai. Felt like they'd never stop blabbering, and it was 6 a.m. and all that many wanted to do was sleep. Dunno if Delta still does all 3 languages for that flight, but wotta pain if so. And it locks up the IFE system regardless of language, which is reason to consider bringing your own (though with the way things are going that could be banned).

And the credit-card pitches on airlines like Spirit are really annoying, especially at the end of red eyes or when people would rather try to sleep.

Last edited by RustyC; May 16, 2017 at 12:08 am
Old May 16, 2017, 12:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Frontier Gold, DL estranged 1MMer, Spirit VIP, CO/NW/UA/AA once gold/plat/comped gold now dust.
Originally Posted by shimps1
My dad is a captain on AA, and he specifically avoids the PA system. He says he only makes the 2 required ones, flight attendants prepare for takeoff/landing.

His reasoning was explained to him by the check airman that trained him:

50% of people won't hear you. 50% of those people won't listen. 50% of those people won't care. 12.5% of the plane is not worth making the announcement for.
At the other extreme, I remember a flight in Indonesia in a 737 or something similar where the pilot made some announcement about a volcano eruption off the left side (I had a window seat on the left side). That caused nearly everyone on the right side to get out of their seat and try to see what he was talking about, and I swear the plane was going to tip over from people leaning into the left-side row.

Turns out it was farther in the distance than he'd led people to believe and not very visually arresting, not even enough for a photo. That was irritating.
Old May 16, 2017, 5:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
It particularly annoys me when people have their window shades shut for SFO/OAK or other magnificent takeoffs and/or landings.
as witness some of the cool photos in the AS "Views From Above the Wing" thread (full disclosure, several are mine)
Old May 16, 2017, 7:45 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RustyC
Dunno if Delta still does all 3 languages for that flight, but wotta pain if so.
LOL...the three-language flights when origin and destination are different and neither is English. Those can get long-winded!!

Yes, I realize that they're probably required to use all three languages for certain safety announcements, but they also do it to hawk duty-free, etc.
Old May 17, 2017, 6:48 am

Originally Posted by CPRich
About as long as it's been since I've heard "stewardess".
A word still in common use all around the globe. It's just the US where they appear to have equated the job with that of a bathroom attendant, if one is to believe the nomenclature.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.