Reload this Page >

Taking control of the Overheads

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Taking control of the Overheads

Search this Thread

Old May 25, 2017, 10:56 am

People still put luggage in overhead bins? lol. I started checking mine years ago. Never have to worry about if my bag will fit. Dont have to lug baggage around the airport. Just a small carry on I can shove under my seat or throw in the overhead if there is room. Couldnt care less about paying the $25 fee. Couldnt care less about waiting an extra 15 minutes for luggage to arrive at baggage claim.
Old May 25, 2017, 2:54 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by p0nyb0y
People still put luggage in overhead bins? lol. I started checking mine years ago. Never have to worry about if my bag will fit. Dont have to lug baggage around the airport. Just a small carry on I can shove under my seat or throw in the overhead if there is room. Couldnt care less about paying the $25 fee. Couldnt care less about waiting an extra 15 minutes for luggage to arrive at baggage claim.
The reasons to keep one's 22" roller as carry on go way beyond your list of why *you* no longer do it, including (and these are quite common, even you've never experience any):

It can get broken (ripped, wheels damaged, etc.)
It can get soiled (badly, like with vomit - happened to a ski bag of mine once)
It can get broken-into
One loses ability to at an instance change flights (respond to an MX or crew situation)
One likely loses access in a forced overnight at a different airport (e.g. weather related)
One loses mid-flight access to whatever is in it (e.g. change of clothes/shoes)

Welcome with your first post, but I think many FTers wouldn't travel without their 22" (20" maybe like in Europe) carry on.
Old May 25, 2017, 10:46 pm

Originally Posted by canyonleo
. . . . but I think many FTers wouldn't travel without their 22" (20" maybe like in Europe) carry on.
Disagree. More and more people are realising that letting someone else take the strain, and not giving a damn if you or your luggage is late is a much more relaxing way to travel. Laptop bag with a change of underwear, a clean shirt and a few toiletries. Everything else in the hold.
Old May 26, 2017, 5:12 am

Originally Posted by ft101
Disagree. More and more people are realising that letting someone else take the strain, and not giving a damn if you or your luggage is late is a much more relaxing way to travel. Laptop bag with a change of underwear, a clean shirt and a few toiletries. Everything else in the hold.
Old May 26, 2017, 5:16 am

Yeah, my wife used to think that, too, until...

1--The airlines lost her bag on 3 different occasions

2--They tore a wheel off one of her bags on another trip

3--And finally, a bag handler stole her favorite skirt out of her bag

Now she never checks her bags
Old May 26, 2017, 6:10 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
People still put luggage in overhead bins? lol. I started checking mine years ago. Never have to worry about if my bag will fit. Dont have to lug baggage around the airport. Just a small carry on I can shove under my seat or throw in the overhead if there is room.
Read my post above yours. My carry-on is almost entirely camera equipment. No way that's going in checked luggage!

I put a strobe in my checked bag once and it arrived broken. I don't know how they managed it, but it happened.
Old May 26, 2017, 6:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
More and more people are realising that letting someone else take the strain, and not giving a damn if you or your luggage is late is a much more relaxing way to travel.
No, they're not. The only way to "relax" about checked luggage is if there's nothing in the bag you ever need to see again, and you can mentally equate leaving it at the bag drop with pitching it down a rubbish chute. If you get it back, bonus.

As for "not giving a damn if you or your luggage is late..." I expect the percentage of flyers who can travel with no regard for reliability, schedule, etc. is rather small, and does not include the business customers who keep the airlines in profit.
Old May 26, 2017, 10:30 am

Thus my use of words like "I think" and "many" (not "most"). But I think you're wrong, I've been saved many times having my roller with me (like when I walk on a plane and see an empty cockpit and know the flight will be delayed for illegal crew and I don't need to go to ORD to connect anyway, I can walk down the terminal and change my routing to through DFW... can't do that with checked luggage.
Old May 26, 2017, 10:34 am

Originally Posted by John Isaac
Yeah, my wife used to think that, too, until...

1--The airlines lost her bag on 3 different occasions

2--They tore a wheel off one of her bags on another trip

3--And finally, a bag handler stole her favorite skirt out of her bag

Now she never checks her bags
Same with my wife. She used to ridicule me, call me a downer/worrier and a travel freak... then they lost (delayed) her bag (all of which would have easily fit in a 22" roller)... not she doesn't travel without it.

I don't even do a turn (for example 1hr flight in early AM for day meetings then return same evening) without my roller (spare clothes just in case, maybe change of clothes to jeans/shorts if I need to wear a suit for meetings).
Old May 29, 2017, 11:20 am

Originally Posted by BearX220
No, they're not. The only way to "relax" about checked luggage is if there's nothing in the bag you ever need to see again, and you can mentally equate leaving it at the bag drop with pitching it down a rubbish chute. If you get it back, bonus.

As for "not giving a damn if you or your luggage is late..." I expect the percentage of flyers who can travel with no regard for reliability, schedule, etc. is rather small, and does not include the business customers who keep the airlines in profit.
You just made my point about the worrywarts. Insurance covers the items in my bag and a reasonable employer sees the full picture if on business travel. Airline stats will show exactly how seldom this might be.
Old May 29, 2017, 7:29 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
All well and good when the only downside is some delayed clothes and underwear. When you have your photographer gear inside your dedicated carry-on roller you don't just have a few guys toss it around with no care in the world.
Old May 29, 2017, 10:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
Originally Posted by canyonleo
Thus my use of words like "I think" and "many" (not "most"). But I think you're wrong, I've been saved many times having my roller with me (like when I walk on a plane and see an empty cockpit and know the flight will be delayed for illegal crew and I don't need to go to ORD to connect anyway, I can walk down the terminal and change my routing to through DFW... can't do that with checked luggage.
You can change your routing if you have checked luggage.
Old May 30, 2017, 8:17 am

You just made my point about the worrywarts. Insurance covers the items in my bag and a reasonable employer sees the full picture if on business travel. Airline stats will show exactly how seldom this might be.
It goes beyond cost. There can be a huge time investment if your bags are mis-routed. When AA sent my bag to LHR instead of MAD I spent hours on the phone dealing with incompetent employees whose stories about my bag location and estimated arrival kept changing (Its in LHR, no it never left CLT, no its in LHR, nope MAD, nope LHR still) and ended up having to go to the airport myself to pick it up instead of having it delivered.

Not to mention not everything is easily replaceable while on your trip and not every store will have hours that match up with your schedule to replace the missing items (or represents a notable time commitment to make it fit)
Old May 30, 2017, 10:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
I never check irreplaceable/expensive items (awful idea obviously), but for clothes, who cares.

Maybe I'm just incredibly lucky, but the only time my bags didn't arrive at the carousel was one time I took a US Airways flight and checked in so early, my bags made it on the next flight out while I took the later (ticketed) flight 3 hours later.

The time spent shopping for clothes in the event of delayed baggage over a day is an easy gamble in exchange for not having to lug around a big carry-on hundreds and hundreds of times, in my opinion. Most baggage is not delayed, and of those that are delayed, most of the time it's on the next flight. Very very rarely is it the next day or later (or never).
Old May 30, 2017, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by Kevin AA
You can change your routing if you have checked luggage.
But if it's 10 minutes before your new first leg is due to take off and you must run down the hall to catch it while doing the change on the phone with an agent then your checked bag won't make it with you!!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.