Community
Wiki Posts
Search

First time traveling internationally

Search this Thread

Old May 13, 2017, 12:06 pm
Original Poster

First time traveling internationally

I have a few questions I'm hoping that some of you more seasoned travelers can help me with. I'm traveling internationally for the first time; going from Florida to Okinawa to see my husband (Marine, stationed there for a year).

1. MCO to LAX arrival 9:30pm, Jetblue (3 hour, 30 minute layover)
2. LAX to PVG (China Eastern, 1:05AM); arrival PVG 6am (4 hour layover)
3. PVG to OKA (CE, 10:05am)

So...
1. Do I need to get my luggage at LAX and recheck it to CE myself?
2. Will a 3 hour layover be enough time to get the luggage, recheck it, get through security (and is there anything else I have to go through besides security there, like customs or something), get something to eat/drink/use the restroom?
3. At PVG, will I need to go through customs or security to go on my 2nd flight? Will I need to get my luggage, or will CE transfer it? Will 4 hours be enough?

I am returning, with a similar flight pattern
OKA to PVG (5 hour layover)
PVG to LAX (4 hour layover)
LAX to MCO
Is there anything I should be aware of for these?

Thanks in advance!!
Old May 13, 2017, 12:44 pm

I've never done these connections specifically. China Eastern doesn't look like one of JetBlue's enumerated partners. For if you need to re-check/go through security again, it would be helpful for us to know if you booked the flights all as one ticket, or if the JetBlue and China Eastern tickets were booked separately?
Old May 13, 2017, 12:53 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BlueEngineer
I've never done these connections specifically. China Eastern doesn't look like one of JetBlue's enumerated partners. For if you need to re-check/go through security again, it would be helpful for us to know if you booked the flights all as one ticket, or if the JetBlue and China Eastern tickets were booked separately?
I purchased them through Priceline, all at once.
Old May 13, 2017, 1:45 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Welcome to FT.

Jet Blue is not a partner with China Eastern: https://www.jetblue.com/airline-partners/

As such, you may well have to pickup and recheck your luggage at LAX. You have enough time - but you will be going from terminal 3 to the international terminal. So take that into consideration.

In the USA there are no out bounds immigration/customs but you will need to present your passport to CE airlines - you can do that when you recheck your bag.

You might be doing the same in PVG especially if you have to change terminals. You may well need a transit VISA.
Old May 13, 2017, 4:44 pm

Programs: DL, WN, AA, IHG Diamond, Hertz 5*
No interline baggage agreement between B6 and MU. You will have to collect your bags at LAX and recheck them with China Eastern.

You shouldn't need a transit visa at PVG. PVG has the 72 hour rule for travelers continuing on to another country.
Old May 13, 2017, 5:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by acc11
I have a few questions I'm hoping that some of you more seasoned travelers can help me with. I'm traveling internationally for the first time; going from Florida to Okinawa to see my husband (Marine, stationed there for a year).

<snip>

Is there anything I should be aware of for these?
Originally Posted by acc11
I purchased them through Priceline, all at once.
Jet Blue & China Eastern are very possible separate tickets
If there is any delays may be your problem.
On line travel agents (OTA), like Priceline, are not know for there customer service when problems happens.
Personally I would have booked directly with an airline, even if it cost a few hundred more.
http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=MCO-LAX-PVG-OKA

And as this is FT getting frequent flyer miles is a consideration
http://www.wheretocredit.com/china-eastern-airlines
http://www.wheretocredit.com/jetblue-airways
Jet Blue (J6) does not have a common ff partner with China Eastern (MU)

Good luck
Please report after the trip how it went.
Old May 13, 2017, 5:25 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by FlyingUnderTheRadar
You have enough time - but you will be going from terminal 3 to the international terminal. So take that into consideration.
As of this coming Wednesday, May 17, JetBlue will be operating out of T5, not T3. It about a 5-10 minutes longer walk from T5 to TBIT than from T3 to TBIT.
Old May 13, 2017, 6:35 pm

Programs: UA Plat, 2MM
It seems like at LAX you will need to get your luggage, change terminals and check in again at the next airline. You should have plenty of time even with changing terminals.

If you are flying Christian Eastern to PVG and then on to Okinawa, when you check in with them at LAX they will tell you if they are checking your luggage all the way to Okinawa. If they do, no need to pick them up in PVG and recheck. Probably, you will just change planes in PVG. It will require you to go through security at the least, but probably not Customs and Immigration since you are not really entering China, just transiting in the airport. If you are arriving/departing the same terminal at PVG when you get off the plane you probably should look for Transiting International flights signs, NOT going through Customs and Immigration. Others who have used this airport can confirm the TRANSITING not ARRIVING signs. Enjoy.
Old May 13, 2017, 6:39 pm

I think these folks answered your questions. I want to thank your husband and you for your service to this great country! Safe travels!
Old May 13, 2017, 7:00 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
Additionally you might have access to USO lounges at MCO & LAX. I'm not familiar with the entry policies but I believe family is welcome. Not sure if the military member has to be traveling with the family or not.

https://orlandoairports.net/press/20...ew-uso-center/
http://www.lawa.org/welcome_LAX.aspx?id=1592
Old May 13, 2017, 7:09 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt LT DM, Wyndham DM, Hertz PC, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by DavidDTW
No interline baggage agreement between B6 and MU. You will have to collect your bags at LAX and recheck them with China Eastern.

You shouldn't need a transit visa at PVG. PVG has the 72 hour rule for travelers continuing on to another country.
Definitely don't need it and certainly not with a 4hr layover at PVG. I had a 6hr layover there in the middle of the night because of positioning flight. JFK-PVG-NRT.

Personally enjoyed CE and as others said I appreciate your husband's service! If the LAX-PVG uses their new Boeing 777 you will have nice in flight entertainment with English options. Plenty of movies to watch and the food is decent.

My review of China Eastern in economy might be of use to you since it covers the transfer/connection at PVG - http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/other...omy-class.html
Old May 13, 2017, 7:22 pm
Original Poster

Thank you all for your help! Thanks TWA844 for the heads up about the terminals.

I will read your review, diananm3atl! And Yoshi212, I will check to see if I can use the USO lounges...I didn't even think of that!
Old May 13, 2017, 7:35 pm

Programs: AA Gold. UA Silver, Marriott Gold, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt (Lifetime Diamond downgraded to Explorist)
One additional thought is JetBlue is rather generous to Military members and their families. Their website covers members & family traveling for active duty and for leisure which the latter requires the dependents to be traveling with the military member to get free checked bags on leisure travel.
They may give you free checked bags for the MCO-LAX segments as you're traveling as part of a trip to see an active duty member. I'd write them a quick email, they respond within 2 days, asking if you'd qualify for free checked baggage when traveling to visit an active military member. No harm in asking. If they say yes it'd be smart to print out the response incase the check-in agent at MCO or LAX think otherwise.
Old May 13, 2017, 10:57 pm

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Also, be aware on the return, when you arrive at LAX, you will need to go through immigration, then claim your bag(s), and finally go through customs. Being that the airlines noted do not interline, you will actually need to go to the JetBlue counter to check in for your domestic flight. Having a four hour layover may not be enough time to clear customs and still check in for the flight before the required check in time. So have your cell phone ready and check in using the JetBlue app before exiting the plane arriving from PVG as the US Govt. officials frown on someone using their phone while waiting for Immigration. You then should be able to get to the JetBlue counter in T5 in time so as not to be designated as a no-show for your flight. Just make sure you don't do anything to get you pulled for secondary inspection.
Old May 14, 2017, 12:35 am

Originally Posted by teddybear99
Just make sure you don't do anything to get you pulled for secondary inspection.
Excellent point. Prior to landing at LAX they will pass out a form to fill out and hand to customs. It has a question about bringing in food, though it's easy to miss (it's buried with other things like insects and seeds). If you bring back any type of food (Japan has some fun Kit Kat flavors), even if you know it's allowed, check yes for this question. They'll ask what you have and then wave you along when it's obvious that it's not something they're looking for. Also, be sure not to have any fresh fruit on you. It's easy to grab an apple or something on airplane and tuck it in your bag for later and forget about it.

I believe LAX has the automated passport kiosks, which are said to save a lot of time. I have no personal experience with these because I have global entry, so maybe someone that has used them can chime in, but that could possibly help speed things up for you on your way home.

Finally, I know my sister accesses USO lounges without her husband, so I believe you should have access.

Have a wonderful trip!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.