Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Middle East including Egypt > Middle East
Reload this Page >

Possible 6 month assignment in Qatar/Doha - advices please

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2017, 1:26 am
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years

I have an option (not a requirement) to go on 6 month assignment in Qatar/Doha for work. The term is from June till end of the year. I am married, in my mid-40s, no kids, but I will go there on my own - my wife has work/career and either she will come once in a month on weekends, or I will fly back.

I am quite adapted to heat - living in Singapore and sleeping without aircon. I went to hike Arches NP when it was 105F outside. Well, it was 10 years ago, but hope my body can still deal with dry heat.

Question is - what to expect during these six month, or not.

- Do people on temporary work assignments live in expat enclaves/condos/apartments?
- What are life necessities while living there?
- Do you have to own a car?
- What driving in the city, country and neighbouring countries look like?
- What English proficiency looks like if going and buying something at shops/supermarkets?
- Are you hard pressed to buy something like in some middle-east and Asian countries - this type of interactions I would like to avoid.
- What one has to do in the city/country after couple of weeks when you've seen all museums? I am not really interested in religion, but more outdoors, see experience culture and history, get connected with locals, if possible.

If you have an experience living on work assignment in Qatar/Doha - please share.

P.S. I don't drink alcohol, so have no need to hang around bars and similar venues.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 1:36 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
Originally Posted by invisible
I have an option (not a requirement) to go on 6 month assignment in Qatar/Doha for work. The term is from June till end of the year. I am married, in my mid-40s, no kids, but I will go there on my own - my wife has work/career and either she will come once in a month on weekends, or I will fly back.

I am quite adapted to heat - living in Singapore and sleeping without aircon. I went to hike Arches NP when it was 105F outside. Well, it was 10 years ago, but hope my body can still deal with dry heat.

Question is - what to expect during these six month, or not.

You will be coming during the hottest part of the year and partly through Ramadan and the two Eids - everything slows down during this time

- Do people on temporary work assignments live in expat enclaves/condos/apartments?
No real expat enclaves but there are apartment blocks/condos which cater to wealthy, not so wealthy and poorer expats - most of the 2.3M people in Qatar are expats
A sense of humour, thick skin, tolerance of really bad drivers
No, private and public taxis are everywhere and cheap
Drivers here fall into expats who are wary and other expats who have just recently started driving and are not very good at it, local drivers just drive fast and own the road. Driving out of the country is not easy - fly
- What English proficiency looks like if going and buying something at shops/supermarkets?
English is well spoken and mostly understood
- Are you hard pressed to buy something like in some middle-east and Asian countries - this type of interactions I would like to avoid.
Depends what you want to buy, various supermarket chains mean you can get most grocery items, high end consumer goods easily available
- What one has to do in the city/country after couple of weeks when you've seen all museums? I am not really interested in religion, but more outdoors, see experience culture and history, get connected with locals, if possible.
Quite a lot to do outdoors except when it is so hot you can melt in the heat, otherwise not very much once you have 'done' the sights - travel through the region

If you have an experience living on work assignment in Qatar/Doha - please share.

P.S. I don't drink alcohol, so have no need to hang around bars and similar venues.
Old Apr 24, 2017, 8:55 am

Programs: UA MileagePlus
I think when OP wrote "hard pressed to buy something", he meant "harangued by pushy vendors".
Old Apr 24, 2017, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by VH-RMD
You will be coming during the hottest part of the year and partly through Ramadan and the two Eids - everything slows down during this time
So are you contained indoors during these month? BTW, how situation looks like during Ramadan - is it possible to eat out/buy something to eat before sunset? Will it be very culturally insensitive if your local colleagues will see you eating during daytime in Ramadan?

A sense of humour, thick skin, tolerance of really bad drivers
Are first two due to latter? Anyone who has been in Vietnam, Java or KL - not sure would be surprised/offended by 'bad drivers'...

No, private and public taxis are everywhere
OK, question asked differently - do you go out of the city at all? I mean - is there NOTHING to see in whole country requiring having a car, or whatever you can see you can do with a rental car/other means?

Driving out of the country is not easy - fly
Thanks for an advice. One related question - having border stamps of gulf countries in US passport causes SSSS and other interesting experiences when coming back to US?

Depends what you want to buy, various supermarket chains mean you can get most grocery items, high end consumer goods easily available
Originally Posted by ajGoes
I think when OP wrote "hard pressed to buy something", he meant "harangued by pushy vendors".
Exactly.

Quite a lot to do outdoors except when it is so hot you can melt in the heat, otherwise not very much once you have 'done' the sights - travel through the region
Ok one more question - while living there what you missed the most comparing to your home country and what WILL you missing most when you leave?

Thanks for an advices. If anyone else has something more to add - please do.

Last edited by invisible; Apr 24, 2017 at 11:14 am
Old Apr 24, 2017, 1:05 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
TravelBuzz is for generic travel topics that aren't about a particular airline, hotel, or region. Therefore, please follow this thread as it moves to the Middle East forum for further discussion. Thanks. /JY1024, TravelBuzz co-moderator
Old Apr 24, 2017, 10:40 pm

Programs: Qatar Airways Privilege Club Platinum; Accor Le Club Platinum
Head over to the Qatar Airways forum and you will find a very informative wiki on Ramadan in Qatar. That being said, you are only coming for a six month posting so there is easily enough to do around the country. Also, when you get bored, Dubai and Abu Dhabi are a 50minute flight away while Bahrain is only 18 minutes away. You will yearn for GREENERY, especially after Singapore.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 1:00 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
My apologies if I was unclear.

So are you contained indoors during these month? BTW, how situation looks like during Ramadan - is it possible to eat out/buy something to eat before sunset? Will it be very culturally insensitive if your local colleagues will see you eating during daytime in Ramadan?

You can buy food during the day in Ramadan but to eat in public is forbidden (unless you are a child, pregnant, unwell etc) as is smoking and chewing gum and playing music loud.

You are not contained indoors but need to be close to A/C and/or pool

Are first two due to latter? Anyone who has been in Vietnam, Java or KL - not sure would be surprised/offended by 'bad drivers'...

Having lived in VN prior to here, VN traffic is orderly. Indicators are generally not used here and multi lane changes at the last minute are common. Small beaten up Nissan Tiidas are so for a reason as are the local vehicle of choice, the white Land Cruiser. Driving is a whole new world of special here.

You need a sense of humour and thick skin as you will see attitudes here that you would have imagined disappeared years ago - I shall leave it at that, if you follow the media you may an idea of what I infer

OK, question asked differently - do you go out of the city at all? I mean - is there NOTHING to see in whole country requiring having a car, or whatever you can see you can do with a rental car/other means?

There are a couple of things to see out of the city, but once you have seen them that's it. They will occupy 3 maybe 4 of your weekends. You would need transport to get out of the city, you can rent cars.

Thanks for an advice. One related question - having border stamps of gulf countries in US passport causes SSSS and other interesting experiences when coming back to US?

I'm not a US citizen but have had no trouble on an Australian passport with visiting the US with GCC stamps in the passport other than the generally surly and unwelcoming approach I have always experienced

Exactly.

No you are not hassled by vendors, perhaps a little in the Souk, generally the shop assistants have no idea about anything in their shops

Ok one more question - while living there what you missed the most comparing to your home country and what WILL you missing most when you leave?

I agree with the comment in relation to greenery and decent wine (but noting you are not bothered by that)

Thanks for an advices. If anyone else has something more to add - please do.
Old Apr 25, 2017, 9:54 am

Programs: Au: UA, Marriott, Hilton; GE
OP: I haven't lived there, but did a day trip which was unforgettable. Go on a dune adventure to the Inland Sea:

https://www.google.com/maps/place/In...1!4d51.2684178

For example:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...a.html#REVIEWS

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...ours-Doha.html

I believe our cruise company used QIA, and we found the driver and experience to be fantastic. Read up on the geology of the area.
Old Apr 26, 2017, 2:01 am

Programs: BA Gold/OWE
I've lived and worked in the region for some years, but not in QR, although I've spent a few weekends there. I would put Doha somewhere above KSA and Kuwait, but below Bahrain, the UAE and Oman in terms of things to do or be entertained by. But it's a great hub to get out and explore the region. You can't drive anywhere other than to KSA ...

I've found the Qataris themselves to be pleasant but rather reserved. As ever in this part of the world, learn a few word of Arabic and put yourself out there. Most people you will meet outside the office will be from South or South East Asia, likely Indian or Filipino.

My most memorable experience was leaving DOH for a flight to KWI. The young female immigration officer said "You are going to Kuwait ? Please take me with you". As I'm in my fifties, I assumed she had family there and hadn't seen them for some time ! I smiled graciously and said I hoped she got the chance to visit soon
Old May 2, 2017, 7:54 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA Gold
I lived in Doha for two years back around 2009. It has changed quite a bit since I lived there, but I would say in general my thoughts still are relevant (speaking to friends who still live there).

Well, it was 10 years ago, but hope my body can still deal with dry heat.
FYI, Qatar is a very, very humid heat. Worse than Singapore. Actually oppressive at times. You will not be able to live without AC.

In my experience, almost all expats I knew lived among other expats in compounds, apartment towers, or mid-rise apartments.

Not sure if I get totally what you're asking, but I'd say patience. Depending on where you're from and what you're used to, some processes aren't as mature as you'd be used to (govt, private -- even banking).

I would say absolutely. Sure, you can get drivers easily, but every expat I knew had a car.

Driving is an experience. Terrible traffic in Doha. Bad drivers everywhere. Mainly locals driving excessively crazily with terrible manners. They flash high beams at you to get out of the way. Look out for traffic cameras and excessive fines (especially for red light, which when I lived there were over 1000 USD).

English is perhaps the most widely spoken/understood language (albeit broken). Almost all customer service positions are staffed with folks from other countries, so English is very widely spoken as a common language.

I did not experience this.

I would say it is unlikely you would get connected with locals. There is a very distinct three class system that generally does not mingle -- locals, western expats, eastern expats. Once you've seen the city (and what there is of the rest of the country), most expats just lounge by pools, shop at malls, and spend several hours on weekends going to elaborate brunches at the many hotels. Personally I traveled to UAE, Oman, Jordan, India, Nepal etc. to take advantage of closer proximity.

It was a good experience. After 2 years I was very ready to leave. It wears on you after a while, but helped me to appreciate things I had previously taken for granted.

When I lived there, it was difficult to get food before sunset. I used to have to go to the hotels to get food. Also, it was definitely insensitive to eat amongst fasters, and can actually lead to stiff fines. It may have changed since I was there.

Aside from desert sports, not really much to do.

My last passport was riddled with dozens upon dozens of Qatar stamps (also other Middle East countries) and almost never got SSSS.

Missed mostly general politeness, orderly society, mature processes / systems in society. After leaving I missed real hummus and the fancy hotels (for restaurants and spas -- really US hotels don't even compare).

Last edited by simmang; May 2, 2017 at 8:03 pm
Old May 6, 2017, 2:21 am

Programs: Emirates, Qatar Airways
You might drink alcohol by the time you leave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.