Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Anybody else turn off in room refrigerators?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2017, 4:55 pm
Original Poster

Title is self explanatory. I have found that the noise and cycling of small in room refrigerators can be maddening. I started turning them off years ago
if they were disturbing during the night (one strike policy.) I have found a few that I actually had to pull out to unplug, but managed to do it. I always
turn them back on and this exercise only applies to empty refrigerators.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 7:29 pm

I don't do this, but I don't see any harm in it, either. Noise aside, you're saving energy.
I do tend to use them enough that it hadn't occurred to me to turn them off.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 8:00 pm

Nope. I like my beer cold.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 8:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I do exactly the same. I can usually follow the cord or, worst case, tug on the various cord until the 'fridge moves to find the right one. I also turn off the A/C, shut the bathroom door (often some type of fan, close the drapes and seal the overlap by leaning something against it, and do what I need to for dark and quiet. In some rooms I need to stuff towels under the bottom of the door to block hallway light, if the gap is big enough.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by Dodge DeBoulet
Nope. I like my beer cold.
Same.... oh and my chocolate hard.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 10:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by CPRich
I do exactly the same. I can usually follow the cord or, worst case, tug on the various cord until the 'fridge moves to find the right one. I also turn off the A/C, shut the bathroom door (often some type of fan, close the drapes and seal the overlap by leaning something against it, and do what I need to for dark and quiet. In some rooms I need to stuff towels under the bottom of the door to block hallway light, if the gap is big enough.
The same. And disconnect the TV (glowing light) and clock radio (if there is one)
Old Apr 1, 2017, 10:37 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Always.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 10:56 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
The same. And disconnect the TV (glowing light) and clock radio (if there is one)
One hotel on my normal travel circuit has TVs that are remarkably hard to turn off (i.e. they power on as soon as I insert the key card into the door, don't have on/off buttons on the units themselves, and the remotes are cryptic), so I typically unplug them in short order.

I feel a little guilty about unplugging clock radios because I presume that some people still rely on those things, so I typically simply try my best to make sure that no alarms are set at ungodly hours.

Whenever I get a room with a fridge (about half the time), I try to give it work to do.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 11:22 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
If you unplug/turn off the fridge, make sure it's plugged back in when you leave. It's infuriating to arrive with frozen or cold food and have no cold place to put it.

Thanks!
Old Apr 1, 2017, 11:42 pm

Programs: Delta, Hertz, Hilton, Marriott
We use the fridge, but I unplug the alarm clock and the phones if we're renting at a vacation club.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 11:44 pm

Programs: A loyal Amerisuites customer... oh wait
Yes, I've unplugged many a noisy fridge.

Originally Posted by CPRich
In some rooms I need to stuff towels under the bottom of the door to block hallway light, if the gap is big enough.
Towels can block noise as well.

Originally Posted by Doc Savage
If you unplug/turn off the fridge, make sure it's plugged back in when you leave. It's infuriating to arrive with frozen or cold food and have no cold place to put it. Thanks!
Yup. When I unplug, I drape the cord over the fridge, or otherwise make it really obvious that the fridge is unplugged. But I usually try to plug it in again before checkout.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 12:07 am

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by jerry305
... When I unplug, I drape the cord over the fridge, or otherwise make it really obvious that the fridge is unplugged. But I usually try to plug it in again before checkout.
Ditto. Just common courtesy for the next guest.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 1:57 am

I have a zero strike policy with fridges and unplug them on arrival. Same with any clock I can't easily verify has its alarm off.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 5:47 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Noisy in-room fridges are an annoyance. Especially since I usually need the fridge for the dog food and book hotels with those things.
Sometimes it helps to pull out the fridge from the badly- (nor even not-at-all-) ventilated cabinet where it's running hot to get the noise level down.
But yeah, I`ve unplugged a fair share of these things upon going to sleep.
Old Apr 2, 2017, 6:27 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
I like having an in-room fridge that I can use and a little noise is a small price to pay. I've got ear plugs. What I do disconnect however are bedside clock radios after too many mornings being woken very early because I didn't realize it was set.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.