CRJ-200 is the worst plane ever!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 21, 2017, 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by PWMTrav
I'm 5'8" and incredibly uncomfortable on the CRJ. The seats being made of metal covered in a thin layer of what I presume is cardboard would have something to do with it. And the real kick in the nuts is that at many airports, you also have to board it in some non-conventional fashion. I'm fine with regional jets like the E70, but the CR2 is just awful.
I agree. I'm 5'7". 130lbs short legs (inseam is like 30).
I can barely squeeze into the stupid seats, my knees are very close to the front seat (try to get something from underneath the seat in front of you--ha!

I feel sorry for anyone who is larger than I am on those suckers.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Is it airline configuration? I've flown CR7s, 9s (mostly DL, some UA) and 1000s (GA) and they're fine (relatively short hops for the most part). CRJ on AC (again, not sure if it was a -200). Right at the U.S. average height but considerably lighter (15-25 lbs lighter).
Old Feb 21, 2017, 2:51 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Bonvoy LT Titanium, Hertz PC
I am 6' even and 185# and thus a pretty normal sized guy. It's an awful plane. It couldn't be any less comfortable. I develop anxiety at the thought of it. I am, literally, driving to Chicago to take a UA Embraer one week to avoid a DL CRJ200 even though I'm closing in on DL MM status. That's how much I hate it.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 2:58 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Is it airline configuration? I've flown CR7s, 9s (mostly DL, some UA) and 1000s (GA) and they're fine (relatively short hops for the most part). CRJ on AC (again, not sure if it was a -200). Right at the U.S. average height but considerably lighter (15-25 lbs lighter).
The 700/900/1000 series CRJs have considerably lower floors than the 100/200 series.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 3:02 pm
Suspended

Personally I think the worst plane ever was the early model jet that tended to have fuselage and wing failures due to metal fatigue. I forgot which model it was, but I know that BOAC used to fly them in the early 1960s. To me job one of any plane is to remain physically intact while flying.

Edit: the aforementioned jet was the DeHavilland Comet
nancypants likes this.

Last edited by DeweyCheathem; Feb 21, 2017 at 3:10 pm
Old Feb 21, 2017, 3:04 pm

I wish the CRJ 200s weren't replaying all the EMB-120s. I used to enjoy flying those. They took about the same amount of time, were more economical, and more comfortable (as long as you don't mind the noise). I loved the scenery from flying at a lower altitude as well. The CRJ 200 windows are at such a height that you have to crank your neck to look out the window.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Massachusetts, USA; AA Plat, DL GM and Flying Colonel; Bonvoy Platinum
I'm fairly sure you never spent five hours in a C-47 (Air Force version of the DC-3) rigged for paratroopers, with the only seating being web strips running fore and aft along the walls. The "cabin crew," such as it was, was not exactly one's concept of the ideal flight attendant, either.

Other than that, taller people get 99.9% of the breaks in our society: money, promotions, social success, etc., etc. The only places shorter people have an edge is flying in economy (and riding racehorses, if that's your thing). It would be nice if taller folks, instead of complaining that they don't get the same favorable treatment there that they've grown used to in just about every sphere of life, and that they probably consider their due by now, would suck it up for the few hours out of the year that they're in this situation and then enjoy their blessings when they land.
nancypants likes this.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 5:42 pm

Originally Posted by Ac75088
I think I would die mid flight lol
I think everyone would when it runs out of fuel and crashes somewhere in the midwest
Old Feb 21, 2017, 5:49 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
I've learned not to book a window seat on a CR2. There is no purpose since I have to crane my neck down to see out of it, and I'm 6'0. I despise these little planes, although the CR7s and CR9s are usually just fine.

The ERJ-145s are better, and you can try to book the single seat side.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by jinglish
The 700/900/1000 series CRJs have considerably lower floors than the 100/200 series.
Thanks. Looks like I've never flown the smaller versions.
Old Feb 21, 2017, 7:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Efrem
I'm fairly sure you never spent five hours in a C-47 (Air Force version of the DC-3) rigged for paratroopers, with the only seating being web strips running fore and aft along the walls. The "cabin crew," such as it was, was not exactly one's concept of the ideal flight attendant, either.
8+45 in troop seats in a C-130 (webbing with aluminum posts and rails) isn't exactly a great ride either (full disclosure: while I was in uniform, it was as a space-available passenger from Van Nuys CA to Honolulu)

Other than that, taller people get 99.9% of the breaks in our society: money, promotions, social success, etc., etc. The only places shorter people have an edge is flying in economy (and riding racehorses, if that's your thing). It would be nice if taller folks, instead of complaining that they don't get the same favorable treatment there that they've grown used to in just about every sphere of life, and that they probably consider their due by now, would suck it up for the few hours out of the year that they're in this situation and then enjoy their blessings when they land.
seconded (I'm 5-6; I'm probably the only FTer who actually prefers the window seats in the CRJ over the ERJ, because I can put my outside foot on the small ledge that's about 6 inches off the floor)
nancypants and Sean Worley like this.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 1:21 am

Programs: Enough to Cause a Migraine
The only silver lining about the dreaded CR2 is the plane doesn't have middle seats.

But seriously though, friends don't let friends fly the CR2.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 7:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Max M
The only silver lining about the dreaded CR2 is the plane doesn't have middle seats.

But seriously though, friends don't let friends fly the CR2.
That's true and actually begs an interesting question about whether CR2 is truly the worst (as I was quick to agree with earlier in this thread)

I (thankfully) have never been in this situation but can think of a couple scenarios (commercial flights only) that might actually be nearly as bad if not worse:

1) Middle seat on 3x4x3 777 (especially the new UA 77W that only has 3 bag spots for the 4 seat middle section)

2) Middle seat (non-E+/C+/MCE/etc) on a 739/739ER

3) Middle seat on the upcoming Ryanair 737max200
Old Feb 22, 2017, 7:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
The difference there is you're usually getting paid to fly in that C-47 . The Canadian Torture Tube has the nerve to ask you to pay for the privilege of flying in it!

Originally Posted by Duke787
That's true and actually begs an interesting question about whether CR2 is truly the worst (as I was quick to agree with earlier in this thread)

I (thankfully) have never been in this situation but can think of a couple scenarios (commercial flights only) that might actually be nearly as bad if not worse:

1) Middle seat on 3x4x3 777 (especially the new UA 77W that only has 3 bag spots for the 4 seat middle section)

2) Middle seat (non-E+/C+/MCE/etc) on a 739/739ER

3) Middle seat on the upcoming Ryanair 737max200
Middle seat on 3x3x3 787?
Old Feb 22, 2017, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by Duke787
The aisle seat in that seat section of 4 might actually be worse with no place to put your feet in front of you, so you have to sit askew.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.