Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

spray down before touch down (sin mnl on 3k)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

spray down before touch down (sin mnl on 3k)

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2017, 6:26 am

Programs: AA-EXP 2.8 MM,UA-GS 1.3 MM,DL-PL,HH-DM,LH-SEN,Bonvoy-GL
Originally Posted by frobozzelectric
just before landing, FA announced that the cabin was to be sprayed with a non toxic substance and they walked up and down the aisle spraying something from an aerosol can.

did not have any distinct smell.

is this disinfecting the passengers?

did not notice it in other routes, just sin mnl.

i am used to being made to step on lysol mats upon landing on domestic routes to agricultural provinces but being sprayed down in the cabin is new.
How recent was this ? This may be a Philippine regulation as back in September when I landed in MNL we got leaflets regarding Zika virus from Singapore just wondering if it's because you arrived from SIN
Old Feb 22, 2017, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by TonyBurr
In the 60's and on it was a regular thing. I know it was on European flights. New Zealand also did it in the 80's and 90's. It was the norm decades ago.
New Zealand still does it, although its up to the airlines on how to implement. Many airlines choose to treat the materials within the aircraft with a pesticide so that the spray is unnecessary, but the FA unions for many airlines argue against it, as some evidence suggests that prolonged exposure to the material treatment has more risk than the aerosol spraying. I know for sure that HA chooses to do the aerosol method for flights into NZ, not sure about UA, AA, and others though.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 11:44 am

Programs: none
Nothing new; if you fly enough you'll experience it.

Not to get worried about.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.