Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The long slow decline of the American mid-range hotel chain

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2017, 10:25 am

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Low Roller
I'd assume someone could have put something in them (maybe hair remover in the shampoo ). It's irrelevant to me since I always travel with my own products (I have sensitive skin that doesn't always react well to random products found in a hotel room). I agree with the cheap locker room appearance. Then again, all of those little individual plastic bottles does seem terribly wasteful.
Wingtips Lounge at JFK had the wall dispensers the last time I was there, and somebody put something in the soap dispenser. I didn't know what it was at first, but when I looked in the mirror I figured out that it was vanishing cream!

I was just happy that this happened after the Terminal 4 rearrangement and the lounge was airside instead of landside as it had been in the past, and I had already passed the TSA checkpoint. I wouldn't have been able to get past the checkpoint in the state I was in, because it would be impossible for the TSA clerk to check my appearance against my photo ID.

Originally Posted by rendezvous
Ha, you're spot on with Candlewood hotels, as they are flat out terrible. Regarding SBS hotels, you have the love the Tuesday-Thursday happy hour with free food and booze.
How are they "terrible"? I've stayed at a few - most recently 6 years ago, so maybe I'm not up to date. I found them plain, but totally satisfactory, and each time I had a car so that it was easy to get food and things i wanted. I thought everything about them was "OK, not great but OK." The price was right in each case and my judgment would have been different if the price had been higher.

That being said, I'm going to look into SBS based on your evaluation - I didn't know anything about it.

Last edited by Carl Johnson; Jan 22, 2017 at 10:31 am
Old Jan 22, 2017, 3:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Points Scrounger
Four Points is a hipster brand?
I was referring to Aloft. That's where I saw it in the Starwood portfolio. Aloft seems like it *wants* to be a hipster brand, although I don't know how successful it's been.

I just think of 4P as a dead brand. I hardly ever see them anymore, and when I do it's a tired old hotel that should probably be a Holiday Inn. Is there a region in the world where they're really building new hotels under the 4P brand?

I think I've stayed in exactly 1 in the past 10 years: by the PIT airport, a Category 1, when I had a very early flight out. It was OK...I think the toiletries were "normal" for a low-end hotel. Not the locker-room dispenser.

Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Seconded. SBS rocks. Too bad, though, that there's relatively few of the around. And it's odd that IHG has two all-suites brands, SBS and Candlewood. And, furthermore, that Candlewood sucks as hard as SBS rocks.
Totally agree with both ends of this statement!! I slogged through a couple Candlewood nights during one of those weird (but lucrative) "try all our brands" IHG promos. Absolutely brutal property in North Dallas. Not sure if I'll ever stay in one again...although I suppose if another promo is sitting there and 50k-75k points are hinging on it....maybe.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 9:06 pm

Originally Posted by BuildingMyBento
Sounds like all the Ibis-brand hotels (though, those aren't yet in the US). I don't mind them, save for the consistently bad a/c, and curtains that don't cover the whole window.
Although there are three different types of Ibises (Ibii). Ibis Budget (there are two in here the old Formule 1 and Etap) and Styles. I think Styles is a little below Courtyard. For instance they advertise that they have no in-room safe or air conditioning in some locales.
Old Jan 22, 2017, 10:13 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
No air conditioning? That's not a hotel: that's camping.

Not that I don't enjoy camping. Or staying in an un-air-conditioned cabin from time to time provided it's north enough and/or otherwise cool enough. But it can't even be on the spectrum with Courtyard if the rooms don't have A/C.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 5:34 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by pinniped
No air conditioning? That's not a hotel: that's camping.
Old Jan 23, 2017, 11:16 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Originally Posted by rendezvous
Ha, you're spot on with Candlewood hotels, as they are flat out terrible.
My son is a commercial pilot who gets billeted in midrange properties all over the country, sometimes on the airport perimeter, sometimes in the city. He says no lodging brand is more loathed by him and his colleagues than Candlewood Suites.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 6:54 am

Programs: Southwest, Best Western Gold, La Quinta, Dollar
Originally Posted by Tizzette
People expect a new set of little bottles and soaps everyday.
I really like the little bottles the hotels provide. And as a bonus, they're smaller than regular "travel size" bottles for even more space saving. Maybe I should start hoarding them!
Old Jan 24, 2017, 7:15 am

Originally Posted by Peoriaman1
I really like the little bottles the hotels provide. And as a bonus, they're smaller than regular "travel size" bottles for even more space saving. Maybe I should start hoarding them!
On a 3-day stay, I'll reuse the bottles and soaps I started using on Day 1 until they're gone. I don't need them to take the old ones away if they're still usable, and can sometimes go a whole stay with just one little bottle of shampoo. (Although some of them are *really* small...just 1-2 shower's worth.)

I just don't want the locker-room dispensers unless I'm in an actual locker room.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 10:16 am

Programs: UA MM/1P, EK Au, QR, TK, Marriott Life Ti, Hilton Dia, IC Dia, Hyatt Glob, Accor Pt, Shangri-La
Originally Posted by BearX220
I actually think what the US hospitality industry does best is mid-range (2.5 to 3*) chain concepts and properties. Full-boat Marriotts and Hiltons and Hyatts are more erratic, and disappoint me far more often, than HGIs, Courtyards, HI, HI Express, and Four Points. Even newish 2* concepts like Microtel, which I stumbled onto for the first time last year, deliver excellent value and amenity levels.

If you tour Europe and book yourself blind into a 2*-3* property you are playing roulette when it comes to cleanliness, amenities, food, service / courtesy, and value for money. The value prop and service promise is far more consistent and satisfactory in the US.
Totally agree. As others have mentioned, the extremely comfortable beds to which all of these chains have upgraded in the U.S. is a significant part of their appeal.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 10:33 am

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
On a 3-day stay, I'll reuse the bottles and soaps I started using on Day 1 until they're gone. I don't need them to take the old ones away if they're still usable, and can sometimes go a whole stay with just one little bottle of shampoo. (Although some of them are *really* small...just 1-2 shower's worth.)
I also re-use one miniature bottle until it's gone, leaving the new bottles untouched on the shelf. I presume housekeeping leaves them there for the next guest if they're unopened.... And when I like the shampoo a hotel provides (e.g., I find Holiday Inn Express's shampoo surprisingly good for a hotel shampoo) I'll take the opened bottle with me to the next place. With my short hair I can easily get 7 days use out of it.

I just don't want the locker-room dispensers unless I'm in an actual locker room.
I don't use the locker-room dispensers even in an actual locker room / shared shower area. I use one of those little hotel bottles I've snagged. They fit easily in the 3-1-1 bag I always pack.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 11:51 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
.... And when I like the shampoo a hotel provides (e.g., I find Holiday Inn Express's shampoo surprisingly good for a hotel shampoo)
I LOVED the cinnamon scented shampoo that HIE used to have. I'd actually stay there instead of other hotels just for that reason and bribe the housekeepers for a few extra bottles to take home. Sadly, they don't use it anymore...I miss smelling like a cinnabon all day
Old Jan 24, 2017, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Rather timely this!

I travel every couple of months to the same office and pretty much have my pick of the hotels, there's just a be sensible policy ^ All within a few hundred yards there's a Hampton Inn, Homewood Suites and Hilton Garden Inn.

The first four or five times I stayed at the Hampton Inn, it's a pretty decent one as Hamptons go and price was always cheapest, the HGI which would be my preferred choice but was always double and more of the HI and doesn't fit in with the "be sensible" policy. Last time I stayed at a Homewood Suites which was cheapest and am currently staying on this trip at the Hilton Garden Inn. When I booked it was way cheap. I've not stayed at HGIs in a while but always found them to be rather decent regardless of where in the US they've been (AK, NY, VA, SC etc. etc.) so I was rather looking forward to the upgrade over the Hampton/Homewood. This one seems a bit meh...the bathroom is smaller than the Hampton with the same amenities and a smaller bathtub and the room is very similar too. Sure it has room service and a bar and a slightly better breakfast but there's not much in it...
Old Jan 24, 2017, 1:38 pm

I like all three of those Hilton brands (assuming it's a reasonably new Hampton Inn). HGI would usually be my top choice, as the bar/restaurant at least give it a "real hotel" feel (kind of) as opposed to the roadtripping feel of the Hampton Inn. Homewoods are great for trips with family...

All of these are good examples of brands that vastly improved upon what existed in those locations prior to them.
Old Jan 24, 2017, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Delta - Silver; UA - Silver; HHonors - Diamond; IHG - Spire Ambassador; Marriott Bonvoy - Titanium
Four Points Seattle Airport is new, with dispensers. Agreed that Aloft is hipsterish.
Old Jan 25, 2017, 2:23 pm

I like all three of those Hilton brands (assuming it's a reasonably new Hampton Inn). HGI would usually be my top choice, as the bar/restaurant at least give it a "real hotel" feel (kind of) as opposed to the roadtripping feel of the Hampton Inn. Homewoods are great for trips with family...

All of these are good examples of brands that vastly improved upon what existed in those locations prior to them.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again:

What Hilton needs to do is combine the Hampton bed with the HGI breakfast and they'd have a knock-out product.

Even better, combine the Hampton bed, the HGI breakfast, and the Homewood Suites kitchenette--that would likely be a great deal for HH Gold/Diamond members.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.