Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Japan
Reload this Page >

DE to JP: Haneda or Narita?

Old Jan 16, 2017, 12:26 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH M+M

Flying from HAM to Tokyo in March - most likely dates: out 7th; in 14th. Can wiggle +/- 2 days.

Looking for a M+M "effective" fare and from looking at that there is LX via ZRH to NRT and LH via MUC/FRA to HND. Target bc rather towards Y+; no M+M status as of yet

As I've some wiggle time at my hand, maybe some creative routings could help with better status mileage. FTL will be at hand by summer, but maybe this trip (plus another longhaul to YOW) *might* bring me in a region to do an MR into SEN.

Also the venue to reach is quite central Tokyo so HND has an advantage there already (monorail, too )

Another thing to consider is LX is flying own metal to NRT, but LH has for some dates SunExpress(?) so besides M+M the hard product might have a factor, too (not giving too much about "service" or food).

Any input - even as in "doesnt matter" appreciated.

Last edited by PAX_fips; Jan 16, 2017 at 12:33 pm
Old Jan 16, 2017, 12:31 pm

Programs: MP
When visiting Tokyo, if you can, always fly to HND instead of NRT. It takes almost 2 hours to reach central Tokyo from NRT and it's a lot more expensive, too. You can get the express but that costs even more.

HND on the other hand is a lot closer to most destinations you would reach in Tokyo. Train cost less, too.

This, of course, also depend on the availability of your flights and mileage deal. But if it's not much different I'd always go for HND.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 12:49 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by PAX_fips
Target bc rather towards Y+;
With excludes LX and the other LH group airlines. Flying into NRT is fine. Flying into HND is simply a little more comfy.

Originally Posted by pon18n
When visiting Tokyo, if you can, always fly to HND instead of NRT. It takes almost 2 hours to reach central Tokyo from NRT and it's a lot more expensive, too.
NRT isn't that far away from Tokyo. The NEX takes slightly over 50 minutes to get to Shin-Tokyo, whereas the Skyliner gets you to Shin-Tokyo (via the JR metro) in roughly 45 minutes. That said, both services are compared to the services to HND rather expensive (though prices can compare rather well to other cities with similar cost of living).

The Keikyu Airport line from Tokyo (Ginza, Asakusa) is probably 3x or 4x less expensive. I haven't yet taken the Monorail, because it's usually the least practical journey (2x transfers instead of 1x) from the hotels I've stayed at.

I would definitely factor in flight times. If flight times to NRT are considerably better then the ones to HND, I would take NRT rather than HND. Usually I end up with a mix: IIRC OS arrives very early in the morning at NRT, whereas LH leaves relatively late in the day. Mixing both, gets you more time in Tokyo (or Japan).

Last edited by WorldLux; Jan 16, 2017 at 12:56 pm
Old Jan 16, 2017, 1:07 pm

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
The NRT distance isn't a huge factor if you're staying on the eastern side of Tokyo, around Ueno or Asakusa. On my first visit, I took one of the standard Keisei trains (not the Skyliner) from Narita to my hotel in Asakusabashi; the journey only took about an hour with no transfers (the train turned into the Asakusa subway), and the cost was under 1k JPY. The Skyliner is only a little more than twice that, I think, if you want to get to Nippori or Ueno or thereabouts, and a bit faster.

And, as WorldLux mentioned, the Keikyu line is probably a lot more practical than the monorail if you're flying in HND.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 1:19 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
A big factor in the NRT-HND question is arrival time. From my location (admittedly much different from the OPs), arrivals at NRT are mid-afternoon and allow connections to anywhere. Arrivals to HND are very late at night and usually require an overnight fairly near the airport or a cab ride away. Many transport services shut down near my arrival times.

For me, NRT is usually the better option. YMMV.
Old Jan 16, 2017, 10:27 pm

Programs: SPG LT Plat ANA Plat
Originally Posted by WorldLux
With excludes LX and the other LH group airlines. Flying into NRT is fine. Flying into HND is simply a little more comfy.

NRT isn't that far away from Tokyo. The NEX takes slightly over 50 minutes to get to Shin-Tokyo, whereas the Skyliner gets you to Shin-Tokyo (via the JR metro) in roughly 45 minutes. That said, both services are compared to the services to HND rather expensive (though prices can compare rather well to other cities with similar cost of living).

The Keikyu Airport line from Tokyo (Ginza, Asakusa) is probably 3x or 4x less expensive. I haven't yet taken the Monorail, because it's usually the least practical journey (2x transfers instead of 1x) from the hotels I've stayed at.

I would definitely factor in flight times. If flight times to NRT are considerably better then the ones to HND, I would take NRT rather than HND. Usually I end up with a mix: IIRC OS arrives very early in the morning at NRT, whereas LH leaves relatively late in the day. Mixing both, gets you more time in Tokyo (or Japan).

There is no Shin Tokyo, NEX goes to Tokyo, Shinagawa Shinjuku Ikebukuro, Skyliner goes to Ueno
Old Jan 16, 2017, 10:30 pm

Flying from HAM to Tokyo in March - most likely dates: out 7th; in 14th. Can wiggle +/- 2 days.

Looking for a M+M "effective" fare and from looking at that there is LX via ZRH to NRT and LH via MUC/FRA to HND. Target bc rather towards Y+; no M+M status as of yet

As I've some wiggle time at my hand, maybe some creative routings could help with better status mileage. FTL will be at hand by summer, but maybe this trip (plus another longhaul to YOW) *might* bring me in a region to do an MR into SEN.

Also the venue to reach is quite central Tokyo so HND has an advantage there already (monorail, too )

Another thing to consider is LX is flying own metal to NRT, but LH has for some dates SunExpress(?) so besides M+M the hard product might have a factor, too (not giving too much about "service" or food).

Any input - even as in "doesnt matter" appreciated.

OP, Tokyo is huge, if you can advise where you want to end up, I would be happy to advise best routes from HND or NRT
Old Jan 17, 2017, 2:26 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
I have the impression that immigration and customs usually takes longer at NRT compared to HND, although it depends on time of arrival of course. Any comments?
Old Jan 17, 2017, 2:49 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
IMO, much of a muchness. Transport into Tokyo from both airports is easy, even if the train from NRT takes a little longer than you'd hope. Personally, I'd base my decision on the time spent in the air and, with a preference for LX, take the ZRH route.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 5:03 am

Can you use M&M points on a codeshare if you book with LH?

ANA have a codeshare from Frankfurt which arrives at Haneda about 7 am.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 6:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH M+M
Originally Posted by BRITINJAPAN3
OP, Tokyo is huge, if you can advise where you want to end up, I would be happy to advise best routes from HND or NRT
The venue is this: http://www.tus.ac.jp/en/campus/kag_gmap.html
Hotel shall be "next to it".

Thanks to others, I'll check back with arrival times.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 10:22 am

Programs: Hilton/Marriott Gold, Accor Silver
A quick search on Google Maps shows you can get to Iidabashi from Haneda via the Keikyu line and subway Tozai line in about forty-five minutes for 690 JPY. Transit from Narita will be significantly longer and more expensive, although not outrageously so--the Keisei Sky Access line, transferring to the JR Chuo-Sobu line at Asakusabashi, will take about another half-hour and cost 1450 JPY. Either route will be slightly cheaper with a Suica card.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 11:00 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by jinglish
A quick search on Google Maps shows you can get to Iidabashi from Haneda via the Keikyu line and subway Tozai line in about forty-five minutes for 690 JPY. Transit from Narita will be significantly longer and more expensive, although not outrageously so--the Keisei Sky Access line, transferring to the JR Chuo-Sobu line at Asakusabashi, will take about another half-hour and cost 1450 JPY. Either route will be slightly cheaper with a Suica card.
Taking the Keisei Skyliner and transferring at Nippori and then at Akihabara (one option) would only take about 60 minutes. The price would be about 2600 JPY without any discounts.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 12:05 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Originally Posted by 84fiero
Taking the Keisei Skyliner and transferring at Nippori ...
+1. Skyliner is a bit more money but faster and much more comfortable.

Not sure why this thread hasn't been moved to the Japan Forum.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 8:57 pm

The venue is this: http://www.tus.ac.jp/en/campus/kag_gmap.html
Hotel shall be "next to it".

Thanks to others, I'll check back with arrival times.
I would say it depends if yo have heavy luggage, if not go to haneda and its easy, if yes go to Narita, then either Skyliner to ueno or NEX to tokyo and grab a cab.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.