Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Do you think this is acceptable? Feet almost in your space...

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Do you think this is acceptable? Feet almost in your space...

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2017, 9:31 am
Suspended

Easy...just tie the laces to something..like the arm on the cubby door.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 10:52 am

Stand up turn toward the window and look him in the eyes
"Excuse me" Close the lid to the cubby.
If he put his foot back, stand up and look him in the eyes
"Excuse me" Open the lid and put something in.

Repeat above.. if needed.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 2:35 pm

why would someone go to the effort of forcing him to move, rather than simply asking nicely? there are threads on here complaining about passengers' behaviour, but here you are being those passengers.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 3:20 pm

Programs: MP
Originally Posted by nmh1204
why would someone go to the effort of forcing him to move, rather than simply asking nicely? there are threads on here complaining about passengers' behaviour, but here you are being those passengers.
Yeah, people are being "too polite". If you don't let them know they're upsetting you, how would they find out?
Old Jan 17, 2017, 4:26 pm

Originally Posted by pon18n
Yeah, people are being "too polite". If you don't let them know they're upsetting you, how would they find out?
Pushing his foot, slamming the cupboard door etc isn't polite lol
Old Jan 17, 2017, 11:57 pm

Programs: frontier Elite, Hertz PC
I believe it's what I said above: people are often afraid of direct confrontation and instead use passive aggressive actions hoping the other person will read their mind.

Here's an example to illustrate a point. I walked into this bar and there was an empty seat so I sat down. I ordered a drink and not long after I hear this woman next to me speaking about me in third person. She being passive aggressive about me talking the seat instead of just telling me at the beginning that someone was sitting there. As I type this I realize I could have asked if seat was taken and I've done that in the past. This was several years ago so I'm thinking maybe she was facing the other way talking to someone so it wasn't clear anyone was sitting in this seat.

Regardless, I have this rule that I don't respond to passive aggressive behavior, probably because I grew up with a friend that used that behavior a lot. Now I figure if someone can't tell me directly what they want it's too bad for them.

I guess this woman was with some people and a guy who had been sitting in this seat. I remember her making comments about how she can't believe this guy (me) couldn't figure out someone was sitting there. They guy was too passive to say anything Be eventually she asked the bartender to ask for the seat back.

When he said someone was sitting there and asked if I would mind moving, I said okay cool. I said I didn't know that anyone was sitting there which was true initiallly.

Again, all she had to say originally was, "excuse me but some one is sitting the," and I would have ordered my drink and leFt.

As I said above, I see this theme a lot in these forums. The guy in the picture might not have even know his foot was bothering the OP.
Old Jan 18, 2017, 9:48 am

Originally Posted by rhwbullhead
I have this rule that I don't respond to passive aggressive behavior
Same for me. If you were not complaining, that means you were ok with it. It's your fault for not complaining about it earlier.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 6:18 am

Programs: Rapid Rewards, AAdvantage,
Same for me. If you were not complaining, that means you were ok with it. It's your fault for not complaining about it earlier.
This is fine, but if I am doing something complainable, I think it behooves me to change the behavior if a hint is given. I don't think it's asking too much to not stick ones feet in someone else's face, so the behavior like to OP should cease at the slightest hint that it is not appreciated. The bar seat as another matter. I'm a person who needs to sift position frequently and this often involves the desire to put my feet somewhere that isn't technically under my control. I try to be aware if I am encroaching, and a sign from someone else generally prompts me to be more aware. It's called getting along with other people.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 11:30 am

Originally Posted by RAAng
This is fine, but if I am doing something complainable, I think it behooves me to change the behavior if a hint is given. I don't think it's asking too much to not stick ones feet in someone else's face, so the behavior like to OP should cease at the slightest hint that it is not appreciated. The bar seat as another matter. I'm a person who needs to sift position frequently and this often involves the desire to put my feet somewhere that isn't technically under my control. I try to be aware if I am encroaching, and a sign from someone else generally prompts me to be more aware. It's called getting along with other people.
Well complaints don't always have to be verbal. But yeah if it's obvious you are not making yourself heard by the other person, then you're partly to blame.

Like if I am bothering someone else next to me, I'd like to know, too. Don't just take picture and complain about it later to strangers on internet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.