Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Thanksgiving 2016 air travel - lots of college students in first class

Old Nov 27, 2016, 5:32 pm
Original Poster

I always notice F cabins look different around Thanksgiving--no more dress shirts, mostly--but this year in particular, I noticed a high number of college students who actually paid for domestic first class (I'm guessing, since their seat numbers weren't on the upgrade lists).

Is my observation representative? Or did I just happen to choose flights with disproportionately many F-paying college students?

I realize airlines have been discounting F and promoting buy-ups to F, but if you were to ask me who takes the bait, college students would be my last guess. The price points at which FlyerTalkers would consider a steal--e.g., $99 to buy up on IAD-LAX--are still expensive to most undergrads.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 5:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
I mean - how many flights were you on 3? 4? Statistically that doesn't even move the needle to be conclusive. Perhaps you were just on a route that has a high amount of wealth on either end (IAD, DCA, SFO, LAX, all NYC airports).

FWIW, when I was a college student I took the bait a couple times when factoring in the cost of my checked bag it was basically a wash.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 6:13 pm

Programs: HH Diamond
When college student books the flight too late and only FC is available, student tells mom s/he can't come home for thanksgiving. Mom tells them 'Go on and book fc and let me deal with your father, just use my credit card.'
Old Nov 27, 2016, 6:29 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
As a UA Silver in undergrad, I had a surprising number of upgrades, most pretty short but some of them actually pretty decent like SFO-PIT and YUL-YVR (irrops).

I also splurged for a $295 buy-up EWR-HNL after I graduated.

I also knew people who had their parents buy F with miles, and I imagine some of the users here use some of their upgrade certificates on their kids. Aside from some of the loaded international students, I really don't think college students are forking out their own $ for F.
Old Nov 27, 2016, 8:10 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
When I was in college my father would occasionally upgrade my holiday trips home with expiring upgrade certs.

I can't imagine he was alone.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 8:45 am

Programs: *G
how about wealthy exchange students flying home?

or young looking working professionals? im 10 years deep in my career and still get carded when im in america...
Old Nov 28, 2016, 9:54 am

Programs: UA Silver, AA Platinum, AS & DL GM Marriott TE, Hilton Gold
How about kids of parents who travel a lot and book with points?
Old Nov 28, 2016, 9:55 am

Programs: AS-GoldMVP,Hilton, Hyatt, Hertz
Originally Posted by bitterproffit
When college student books the flight too late and only FC is available, student tells mom s/he can't come home for thanksgiving. Mom tells them 'Go on and book fc and let me deal with your father, just use my credit card.'

LOL LOL This....a lot...... Hell I used to do that when I was in college and that was 30 years ago..... LOL
Old Nov 28, 2016, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
At first I thought this was an odd post but then it immediately kicked in the OP is spot on. I flew to DTW and back over the long weekend. Half of the F cabin in the 'bus was college kids both ways. They were excited about it and were calling their buds to exclaim. They weren't disrupting during the flight at all and were polite. I just found it odd that it was so obvious.

Why I asked myself? Simple. FCM at work.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 11:33 am

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
Originally Posted by enviroian
At first I thought this was an odd post but then it immediately kicked in the OP is spot on. I flew to DTW and back over the long weekend. Half of the F cabin in the 'bus was college kids both ways. They were excited about it and were calling their buds to exclaim. They weren't disrupting during the flight at all and were polite. I just found it odd that it was so obvious.

Why I asked myself? Simple. FCM at work.
Who gets excited about flying to DTW
Old Nov 28, 2016, 12:20 pm

Originally Posted by Duke787
FWIW, when I was a college student I took the bait a couple times when factoring in the cost of my checked bag it was basically a wash.
I used to do the same. If I had a second checked bag, the $50 same-day buy up was worth it.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 12:23 pm

Programs: DL PM, 1MM, DL SC, Kimpton Inner Circle
When I was a student I went home for the holidays via the Long Island Railroad, which as some of you probably know is always a first-class experience!
Old Nov 28, 2016, 12:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Peak leisure-travel periods/routes often leave FC as the best value on the plane. The Y fares are high, but sometimes there's some kind of discounted-F fare ("QUP" or whatever) for just a small premium above that.

The regular business travelers aren't there to buy them, so why not the college kids heading home for the holidays? If you don't have elite status and are hauling home 100 pounds of laundry...
Old Nov 28, 2016, 12:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by KevinDTW
When I was a student I went home for the holidays via the Long Island Railroad, which as some of you probably know is always a first-class experience!
I rode a Trailways bus one Thanksgiving during college. Doesn't get any classier than that... My only real memory of it was lots of Amish. I thought it was strange but later learned that while they don't own cars, they do use various forms of mass transit when necessary for intercity travel.
Old Nov 28, 2016, 1:25 pm

Programs: WN A+ CP, UA 1MM/*A Gold, Mar LT Tit, IHG Plat, HH Dia
Maybe those college students found good prices on F tickets. When my partner and I booked travel a few months ago for Thanksgiving weekend, we found one business saver ticket and no economy saver tickets. Thus we purchased one F seat on points and one Y seat for cash. Several other times I've seen the cash price for F be less than a 50% premium over Y cash. Factor in the ancillary fees airlines hit you with nowadays in Y if you're not an elite (checked bags, preferred seats) and F for 50% more can really be worth it.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.