Thanksgiving 2016 air travel - lots of college students in first class

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Thanksgiving 2016 air travel - lots of college students in first class

Search this Thread

Old Dec 4, 2016, 1:14 pm

Programs: *G
are people actually proud of dressing in sweat pants and hoodies in public?

its possible to dress comfortably without looking like youve come from a boxing workout
Old Dec 4, 2016, 4:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by deniah
are people actually proud of dressing in sweat pants and hoodies in public?

its possible to dress comfortably without looking like youve come from a boxing workout
one guy's opinion: "proud of" has absolutely nothing to do with it; the number of people who simply don't care about either (1) societal convention or (2) what others think of them or their appearance is rising exponentially
Old Dec 4, 2016, 4:56 pm

I don't wear sweatpants anywhere, but every flight I've ever taken has been in jeans and a tshirt with a zip up hoodie or pull over hoodie.

Nothing to do with pride and everything to do with comfort. Don't really care if anyone else likes it or thinks I'm under dressed. I also don't care what anyone else is wearing as long as they are not exposing private areas.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 4:39 am

Programs: AS MVP, UA Gold
I was AS MVP as an undergrad living in Chicago. Upgrades were few and far between flying ORD-SEA SEA-ORD, but nonetheless i had a few. my dad would sometimes use miles for first class ticket if it was short notice.
Old Dec 6, 2016, 8:36 am

Huge demand from casual flyers = sky high economy fares
Zero demand from business flyers = empty front
Sky high economy fares = good time to redeem miles
Empty front = cheaper to redeem in front than back

Happened to me last year. I dont remember the exact numbers but economy would have cost 40,000 miles while business cost 25,000.

It wasnt a hard decision.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 8:36 am

Regarding a high number of students on flights to and from DTW-
Detroit is the airport for University of Michigan. Over half of their students are from out of state - more or less 22,000.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 9:40 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by mules
Regarding a high number of students on flights to and from DTW-
Detroit is the airport for University of Michigan. Over half of their students are from out of state - more or less 22,000.
Probably also a popular airport for Sparty and some of the northern Ohio universities if you're taking any kind of long(ish) flight. The little college-town airports with a few RJs a day can be crazy-expensive.

Wasn't uncommon for people from U of I to take a bus to ORD (3 hours away) to catch flights. Flying out of Champaign (CMI) was possible, but 2x-3x the cost of flying from Chicago.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 10:58 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
DTW is a fortress hub and fares are not cheap. Cost wouldn't be a reason to go out of one's way to fly from DTW.
Old Dec 7, 2016, 2:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
I used to fly to/from school in F before they stopped flying mainline equipment in there in favor of monoclass regional jets
Old Dec 7, 2016, 3:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BAEC Gold, Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, AMEX Platinum (US)
Originally Posted by SpinOn2
When the TSA worker looked at my bp and saw Business for an international flight, I could tell he was shocked.
They must have been a newbie.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.