Wiki Posts
Search

Flying on Christmas Eve

Search this Thread

Old Oct 26, 2016, 8:34 pm
Original Poster

Flying on Christmas Eve

Hi,

I've booked tickets to New Orleans on Christmas eve (12/24). I'll be landing 12/24 7pm (also with a small baby)

I was thinking - would landing on Christmas going to be a problem? I mean, staff-wise (luggage and such), getting Uber/Taxi etc?

Would it be much safer to land the day before (12/23)? Or it won't matter much?

Thanks

Last edited by jjoe123; Oct 26, 2016 at 8:41 pm
Old Oct 26, 2016, 8:53 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

You should be fine, hopefully you are traveling with your own car seat. Finding a cab/Uber with a car seat is always a pig in a poke.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Yes, of course, with car seat.

I was just wondering (first time flying on Christmas eve, especially with a baby) how difficult would it be to find a taxi/Uber on 12/24 ~7-8pm. If it is much harder than any other day, then I'll try and maybe move the flight to 12/23
Old Oct 26, 2016, 9:16 pm
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by jjoe123
Yes, of course, with car seat.

I was just wondering (first time flying on Christmas eve, especially with a baby) how difficult would it be to find a taxi/Uber on 12/24 ~7-8pm. If it is much harder than any other day, then I'll try and maybe move the flight to 12/23
I think you will be fine since you have your own car seat.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 9:19 pm

Programs: AA PLT, 1.8mm
not everyone in the US is Christian or celebrates Christmas, so you will have no problems related to the holiday with travel. We travel long haul (SYD, Europe, etc) every year on Christmas day and have never had the problems that you fear.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 9:54 pm
Formerly known as caveruner17

Originally Posted by cynicAAl;27398004[B
]not everyone in the US is Christian or celebrates Christmas, so you will have no problems related to the holiday with travel[/B]. We travel long haul (SYD, Europe, etc) every year on Christmas day and have never had the problems that you fear.
Ha. That reminds me of my mom. I've been doing Thanksgiving trips to Europe or Asia for 5 years now -- almost every year, my mom always is baffled that things are open on Thanksgiving Thursday -- until I remind her that Thanksgiving is a US holiday
Old Oct 26, 2016, 10:05 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Lifetime Gold/Some Years Platinum
Honestly, it will probably be EASIER for you to travel on the evening of 12/24 than that of 12/23.

7 PM on Christmas Eve is too late for many holiday travelers.

My personal experience on Christmas Eve/Christmas Day (and we're talking 10+ years of traveling on one of those two days) is:

Christmas Eve - Zoo in the morning, dying down by the evening.
Christmas Day - Dead dead dead (unless you're heading to Orlando - heaven help you then).

Disclaimer: I usually am flying into MSP, an airport almost completely staffed by Somali immigrants. So Christmas is just another day for them.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 10:36 pm
Original Poster

Well, haven't thought about that. Now I guess flying from SJC on the morning of the 24th would be hectic...I guess we should arrive early (maybe even 2.5 hours prior to the flight)
Old Oct 27, 2016, 12:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You should be fine. MSY always has plenty of cabs available IME.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 2:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
Christmas Eve is a Saturday this year which should mean it will be quieter than usual. Many will have got away after work on Friday.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Christmas Eve tends to be business as usual. It's Christmas Day IME that is usually dramatically slower including the closing of lounges (e.g., AS Boardroom in SEA last year)
Old Oct 27, 2016, 11:05 am
Original Poster

Thanks

Great, thanks for the info.

That really helps. I'll keep the 12/24 flight from SJC to MSY.

Hopefully the lounge in SJC will be open in the morning of 12/24
Old Oct 27, 2016, 2:45 pm

Originally Posted by cynicAAl
not everyone in the US is Christian or celebrates Christmas, so you will have no problems related to the holiday with travel. We travel long haul (SYD, Europe, etc) every year on Christmas day and have never had the problems that you fear.
(slight OT, but London basically shuts down on christmas day itself, including most public transportations)

chinese fast food places are usually open on christmas, so go there if you're hungry
Old Oct 27, 2016, 2:54 pm

Programs: NZ, EK, QF, SQ.
My daughter and her family are flying LHR-DXB-AKL.

They depart LHR on Christmas Eve, arrive DXB on Christmas Day (for 2+ hours), and AKL on 26th December.
Because of time differences, they almost lose Christmas Day.

Christmas will be celebrated late this year.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 9:57 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by jjoe123
Hi,

I've booked tickets to New Orleans on Christmas eve (12/24). I'll be landing 12/24 7pm (also with a small baby)

I was thinking - would landing on Christmas going to be a problem? I mean, staff-wise (luggage and such), getting Uber/Taxi etc?

Would it be much safer to land the day before (12/23)? Or it won't matter much?

Thanks
I love traveling on xmas. Very very easy movement and no crowds.

As far as other stuff, yes, many staff don't work on that day but because the overtime is stellar on xmas, many do.

As to uber etc, remember that not everyone is a christian. Jews, muslims, hindus, atheists, buddhists, and just about everyone else has no issues working on that day, other than the fact that biz is slow.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.