Wiki Posts
Search

Separate Ticket, Same Airlines - Delayed flight question

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2016, 11:29 am
Formerly known as caveruner17
Original Poster

Separate Ticket, Same Airlines - Delayed flight question

Looking into the fine print on a few airlines, I see the following in their terms of contract. Based on below, I can't determine if this means only if on the same ticket or potentially separate tickets. Some of the flights I'm trying to take aren't allowing me to book it A-HUB-B, so I'd have to do A-HUB/HUB-B. With a 80 minute layover, it should be enough time, assuming no major delays.

9.2 CANCELLATION, REROUTING, DELAYS, ETC.
9.2.1 We will take all necessary measures to avoid delay in carrying you and your Baggage. In the exercise of these measures and in order to prevent a flight cancellation, in exceptional circumstances we may arrange for a flight to be operated on our behalf by an alternative carrier and/or aircraft.
9.2.2 Except as otherwise provided by the Convention, if we cancel a flight, fail to operate a flight reasonably according to the schedule, fail to stop at your destination or Stopover destination, or cause you to miss a connecting flight on which you hold a confirmed reservation, we shall, at your option, either:
9.2.2.1 carry you at the earliest opportunity on another of our scheduled services on which space is available without additional charge and, where necessary, extend the validity of your Ticket; or
9.2.2.2 within a reasonable period of time re-route you to the destination shown on your Ticket by our own services or those of another carrier, or by other mutually agreed means and class of transportation without additional charge. If the fare and charges for the revised routing are lower than what you have paid, we shall refund the difference; or
9.2.2.3 make a refund in accordance with the provisions of Article 10.2.
9.2.3 Upon the occurrence of any of the matters set out in Article 9.2.2, except as otherwise provided by the Convention or applicable law (including in particular EC Regulation 261/2004), the options outlined in Article 9.2.2.1 to 9.2.2.3 are the sole and exclusive remedies available to you and we shall have no further liability to you.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 1:13 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
If it's a separate ticket, it's not a connection, it's another flight. What airline's CoC are you quoting?
Old Oct 24, 2016, 1:36 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by LondonElite
If it's a separate ticket, it's not a connection, it's another flight. What airline's CoC are you quoting?
I'm personally looking at Vietnam Airlines, but it's also essentially quoted word for word on Bangkok Air, Air Europa, Cambodia Angkor Air, Eva Air, etc.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 1:47 pm

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
And how does the CoC define the term "connecting flight"?
Old Oct 24, 2016, 1:50 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by WorldLux
And how does the CoC define the term "connecting flight"?
VN's website states: “Connecting flight” means a subsequent flight providing onward travel on the same Ticket, on a different Ticket or on a conjunction Ticket."

In theory (different ticket) would mean that they would reschedule me, but I'm not sure of the reality of this.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 2:04 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
That definition seems to bode well for you, but I'd probably want to ask the regulars here who fly your airline. (Does VN have a forum here?) I can see this answer varying somewhat by airline and computer system.

I've done this exact thing on AA a few times over the years and never had an issue. If I was checking a bag, they'd just check it to the end destination as if I was on one PNR. I can't recall having a misconnect...or at least not one in severe WX where it wasn't easy to just get confirmed on the next flight without any hassle. In most years, I have the benefit of both status (albeit a low one) and lounge access. I'd be less enthusiastic about doing this on an airline where I held no status.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 2:35 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Many (most?) airlines will ask you to pound sand in the case of separate tickets. The bottom line is that you shouldn't count on leniency, and appreciate it if it is forthcoming.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 2:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by caverunner17
VN's website states: “Connecting flight” means a subsequent flight providing onward travel on the same Ticket, on a different Ticket or on a conjunction Ticket."

In theory (different ticket) would mean that they would reschedule me, but I'm not sure of the reality of this.
"In theory". Of course they could always cancel your next reservation in its entirety because you missed the first flight.

Buy separate tickets is a gamble. They are under no obligation to take care of you. Anything that they do to help you is in the name of Customer Service.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 2:45 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Tchiowa
"In theory". Of course they could always cancel your next reservation in its entirety because you missed the first flight.

Buy separate tickets is a gamble. They are under no obligation to take care of you. Anything that they do to help you is in the name of Customer Service.
But in this case, I can't book the flight on VN's website as A-HUB-C. It's literally not an option where A-HUB and HUB-C is an option, both on VN. If I could buy it as one ticket, I would ^

As far as the obligation, that's why I'm asking. Their CoC seems to state that they are under obligation to help me.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 3:07 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
But in this case, I can't book the flight on VN's website as A-HUB-C. It's literally not an option where A-HUB and HUB-C is an option, both on VN. If I could buy it as one ticket, I would ^

As far as the obligation, that's why I'm asking. Their CoC seems to state that they are under obligation to help me.
Hmmm. Is it possible that 80 minutes is shorter than the MCT for that airport/airline and mix of int'l/domestic travel? That *could* pose a problem, even if the airline is otherwise relatively customer-focused. An agent might view your two bookings as purposely doing an end-around on a well-established MCT.

Or is there some regulatory reason that VN can't sell A-C as one PNR? That regulatory reason could also prevent them from checking a bag all the way through on the two PNR's.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 3:19 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pinniped
Hmmm. Is it possible that 80 minutes is shorter than the MCT for that airport/airline and mix of int'l/domestic travel? That *could* pose a problem, even if the airline is otherwise relatively customer-focused. An agent might view your two bookings as purposely doing an end-around on a well-established MCT.

Or is there some regulatory reason that VN can't sell A-C as one PNR? That regulatory reason could also prevent them from checking a bag all the way through on the two PNR's.
Both are domestic legs within Vietnam (Hue-HCMC-PhuQuoc) and I can't find anything about MCT times for VN, but those in the Asia sub-form assured that 80 is plenty of time, especially with just carry on.

The issue just stems from me going to VN's website and if I enter my starting city as Hue, it won't allow me to enter PQC as the destination, so I'd need separate tickets
Old Oct 24, 2016, 3:30 pm

Can't you do this as a multi-city booking? I was able to choose this as multi-city on their website with a 70 minute connection.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 3:39 pm

Both are domestic legs within Vietnam (Hue-HCMC-PhuQuoc) and I can't find anything about MCT times for VN, but those in the Asia sub-form assured that 80 is plenty of time, especially with just carry on.

The issue just stems from me going to VN's website and if I enter my starting city as Hue, it won't allow me to enter PQC as the destination, so I'd need separate tickets
Ah, so probably not an MCT problem.

If multi-city works, great. Another option might be to try pricing it on a travel agent site like Orbitz or Expedia. (Or if there's a well-known Vietnamese one...) See if they'll price it as a regular one-way (or R/T if you need it) flight. I've had one or two cases over the years where I've ticketed something via Orbitz solely because I couldn't get an airline's website to behave.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.