Longest flight you have taken?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Longest flight you have taken?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 24, 2016, 5:34 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by princeville
I flew this (and v.v.) in 2002. Wonder if it was still the longest then?
It's not, United flies EWR-HKG now which is about 300 miles longer.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 6:24 am
yrs

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Platinum, WN CP
The longest single segment I have flown is DEL-JFK - about 15 hours and 30 minutes. Not too far behind was another segment I flew, AUH-IAD - about 14 hours and 30 minutes.

I have also been on 39 hour trips which involved connections between long haul segments.
Old Oct 24, 2016, 7:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by airsurfer
These deviations will not make that much difference. Regarding EK448/9, the great circle route is 14200km and the actual routes flown over CMB, PER and MEL or the more northerly route over Asia (seen on flightaware.com), is only 100-150km (1%) more.

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=dxb-akl...xb&MS=bm&DU=km

I am curious how much the A380 (starting next week) will affect duration of this flight.
And 'longest flight' means longest in time: westbound costs more than eastbound, in this case it differs 1 hour.

On the route SFO-DEL, the 'detour' over Anc makes only 39km difference.
But the distance listed for SFO-DEL on Wikipedia is the flight's actual flown distance, which is a route very different from the absolute shortest distance route. This makes a significant difference versus the shorter polar route in terms of distance. The advantage is being able to catch the tailwinds when flying east.
Old Oct 25, 2016, 1:56 am
tht

Programs: UA 1K 1.01 MM
Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Some FTers do the inaugural world's longest flight SIN-EWR vv.

SIN-EWR with immediate turn-around EWR-SIN. It was great fun.
kiwi Flyer this thread reminds me of our 59.5h flight AKL-AKL (AKL-LAX-LHR-HKG-AKL), probably not one I wound do again in coach....
Old Oct 25, 2016, 3:36 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by tht
kiwi Flyer this thread reminds me of our 59.5h flight AKL-AKL (AKL-LAX-LHR-HKG-AKL), probably not one I wound do again in coach....
Nowadays I wouldn't fly around the world in under 60 hours in coach either. I'm older and fatter, and would far rather pay some extra ($ or points) to be more comfortable.
Old Oct 27, 2016, 9:48 pm

Programs: UA 1p
EWR - SIN in 2007. Also, JNB - JFK with a scheduled fuel stop in the Cape Verde islands.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 1:01 pm

Programs: UA Plat/*G, Marriott LT Gold, Global Entry
Compared to some of you folks, I'm a lightweight Longest I've done is ORD-NRT in Y several years ago. I also did IAD-KWI earlier this year in poor man's business (empty row of E+) just a couple of days before UA discontinued the route. Was supposed to fly IAD-JNB-CPT for business this summer (17+ hours I think) but the trip was cancelled, I was looking forward to seeing Cape Town but am really glad I didn't have to do that flight.

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I never understand who could/would do those mega long flights in economy. It's bad enough in business let alone in economy.
Most of us don't have a choice - spending an extra couple of thousand bucks (or more) isn't always feasible, and upgrades aren't always an option.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 3:29 pm

EWR-HKG. Did not get any sleep, seat was broken.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 5:25 pm

Programs: DL Silver - uh huh!
To date my longest (by both time and distance) is ICN-IAD on KE (followed by IAD-DOH on QR and NRT-ATL on DL).

The shortest distance for ICN-IAD is 6,950 miles, but based on what I see at FlightAware the flown distance was closer to 7,900 or 8,000 miles. I definitely remember that we did not fly over Alaska but crossed the North Pacific and "came ashore" around Vancouver.

Flight time was listed at 13:20 but FlightAware makes it look like actual flying time could have been as much as an hour less.

Coming up I have DXB-YYZ on AC. The scheduled flight time is 14:10, but I'm not sure that it actually takes that long. FlightAware shows the average lately is an hour less.

The great circle route for DXB-YYZ is slightly shorter, at 6,893 miles, than ICN-IAD, but the flown distance for DXB-YYZ looks like it is only about 7,000 miles (so closer to the shortest route).

I can't be sure which flight will actually have a longer flying time, though, as ICN-IAD was years ago (in a 747), and I don't know what the actual flying time was. DXB-YYZ will be in a 77W; I miss the 789 by a couple of weeks.
Old Oct 30, 2016, 12:19 pm

Programs: DL 360, Marriott Ambassador, AA Plat
My top 5 are

1) DFW - SYD @8590sm in QF J
2) MEL - LAX @7936sm in QF Y+
3) ORD - HKG @7790sm in CX F
4) SYD - LAX @7503sm in QF J
5) DXB - SYD @7492sm in QF F

The QF F and CX F were amongst the best flights I've ever had. Best use of AA miles ever!
Old Oct 31, 2016, 2:06 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
JNB-JFK. 16 hours.
Old Oct 31, 2016, 2:11 am

Programs: AA Explat, SPG Gold, HH Gold
DFW-HKG, where after 11 hours in, you only have 6 hours to go!
Old Nov 7, 2016, 2:40 pm

The longest flight I have been on was from New York to Ireland. It was a great flight. Various meals and snacks were served.
Old Nov 8, 2016, 11:14 am

Originally Posted by Badenoch
JNB-JFK. 16 hours.
With stop time in SID included ?
Old Nov 8, 2016, 6:10 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
So not non-stop but 4 legs back to back. Cape Town to Johannesburg, Johannesburg to Heathrow, Heathrow to Dallas and Dallas to Austin. On BA and AA. IIRC it was more than 24 hours of in-the-air travel and I really wanted to get off the AA flight somewhere over Canada. First and only time I felt that way. It didn't help that BA and AA had exactly the same movie line-up.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.