Longest flight you have taken?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Longest flight you have taken?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 21, 2016, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by LondonElite

ORD-HKG in 1999 (when it was the longest flight in the world) on the UD of a UA 747. I think it was flight 895...they had only a select subset of the UA 747 fleet that could make the journey. That was an all-daytime flight which I enjoyed much more!
I flew this (and v.v.) in 2002. Wonder if it was still the longest then? I remember getting concerned about our fuel when our flight path took a dogleg over Mongolia and flew west for quite a while. I asked my dad about it later (he was a UA 744 captain at the time) and he said we were most likely waiting for permission from China to enter their airspace. Glad they eventually got around to it!
Old Oct 21, 2016, 4:46 pm
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Some FTers do the inaugural world's longest flight SIN-EWR vv.

SIN-EWR with immediate turn-around EWR-SIN. It was great fun.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 6:55 pm

Programs: OZ Diamond, KE Morning Calm, AA Gold
DFW-HKG on AA this past April in MCE. I believe it was blocked at 16H 45M but we finished in just over 16 hours. It looks like I'll be setting a new longest flight record this coming February when I do DFW-SYD on QF, currently blocked at 17H 10M.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 8:52 pm

Wait what?

Originally Posted by Kiwi Flyer
Some FTers do the inaugural world's longest flight SIN-EWR vv.

SIN-EWR with immediate turn-around EWR-SIN. It was great fun.
With immediate turn-around???

I have done BOM DOH IAH (24 hrs in town) and them IAH - CDG - BEY and considered one of the most stupid travel decisions in my life, but this was an extreme choice to make...
Old Oct 21, 2016, 10:09 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Old Oct 22, 2016, 4:18 am

Programs: CX Gold
14hrs ICN-JFK, connecting flight from MNL.
If I count the MNL-ICN leg, it would be 18hrs, excluding connection time.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 4:32 am

Single flight:

For me: SIN-LHR with BA (somewhere in 1987).
More recently: SIN-AMS with SQ.
In both cases a very long night.

I have booked EK AMS-DXB-AKL, the latter leg being the longest flight I ever made.

Total flight duration:

1990: AMS-YYZ-HNL-SYD with 7 hours layover in YYZ with AC (then called CP, Canadian Pacific which is now part of AC). The flights were operated by DC10s. I had to transfer my checked baggage myself in YYZ and I managed to prevent staff labeling my luggage to Sydney in Newfoundland (which is a domestic flight) and not Sydney in NSW where I was going.
It was a total flying time of 30 hours plus 7 hours layover in YYZ and 1 hour stop in HNL. To make things worse, I arrived at 6:00 in SYD to be a whole day stayed up. But the next day my biological clock was reset and jet lag was over.
I hate arriving early in the morning, even when no timezone difference between origin and destination.

About sleeping: I use sleeping pills on long flights. When awake I have to get out at least every 2 hours and make a short walk through the aisles.
So I don't understand many people sitting for several hours .... for me is 2 hours sitting the absolute maximum (unless when sleeping).
Old Oct 22, 2016, 2:05 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
DOH-DFW in J on QR: 7,932 miles and due to vectoring to avoid DFW storms, 15hr25. Of course that was only about 40% of the trip, the whole portion was SYD-DOH-DFW-RDU.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 7:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MR Titanium/LTP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by sbm12
Well played. I've been following the inaugural festivities via SQ's Instagram stories posts.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 3:21 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Originally Posted by CPRich
Curious - why does the Wikipedia article show top 30 (by distance) topped by EK449 at 14,203km, but then under longest by airline show AI at 15,142km and under longest by aircraft type show UA179 at 14277km?

It also shows the longest 777-200LR at 14191km, then the longest by airline for both AI and EK at longer on the same aircraft type? (EDIT: noticed the EK longest is the same flight at the LR longest, but different distances)
Because Wikipedia's posts are done by regular people like you and I. The same people probably didn't post those articles so the numbers put in are what the individual posters placed. Wikipedia does not have anyone actually verify the posts. I remember a local radio station say on the air that the Wikipedia article on their station had a lot of made-up things posted by people at the station to see how far it could go. (This was about 5 years ago.)
Old Oct 23, 2016, 3:30 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Longest trip FLL-MNL done at least once a year every year since 2000, with up to 4 times a year from 2001 to 2004 due to an adoption from family members through the Philippine courts. Time wise the longest was 26 hours out with connections in DTW and KIX, early 2000's with NW. Longest single flight ATL-ICN on a KE 747 in 2012 15.75 hours with JFK-ICN on a KE A380 close behind at 15.25 hours in 2013 (Snowstorm of the century)

Originally Posted by Annalisa12
I never understand who could/would do those mega long flights in economy. It's bad enough in business let alone in economy.
Maybe it is because it is all we can afford. That is the best thing about flying today versus back before the turn of the century. I was married to my Filipina (and still am at 30 years next June) wife for 13 years before finally getting to meet her family members who still lived there because US Immigration will not grant them tourist visas to come to our wedding. We could not afford the trips before that because of the prices. Now we have miles that also offset our costs that we use.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 4:03 am
Moderator, Hilton Honors

Programs: some
Originally Posted by LoungeBum
With immediate turn-around???
Yes. A group of us flew the inaugural in both directions (and had positioning flights before and after as well).
Old Oct 23, 2016, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Airline nobody. Sad!
Originally Posted by CPRich
Curious - why does the Wikipedia article show top 30 (by distance) topped by EK449 at 14,203km, but then under longest by airline show AI at 15,142km and under longest by aircraft type show UA179 at 14277km?

It also shows the longest 777-200LR at 14191km, then the longest by airline for both AI and EK at longer on the same aircraft type? (EDIT: noticed the EK longest is the same flight at the LR longest, but different distances)
The flights in the chart are listed by orthodromic distance, i.e. great circle route. The actual route, that the plane flies on many of these routes, fluctuates daily. The great circle route for SFO-DEL is just over 7700 statute miles, which wouldn't make the top-30 most likely. Listing it as first in the chart is incorrect by the standards of the chart. That said, there seems to be quite an edit war going on discussing this. At the time I posted the chart, the Air India flight was not listed first.
Old Oct 23, 2016, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by TheBOSman
The flights in the chart are listed by orthodromic distance, i.e. great circle route. The actual route, that the plane flies on many of these routes, fluctuates daily. The great circle route for SFO-DEL is just over 7700 statute miles, which wouldn't make the top-30 most likely. Listing it as first in the chart is incorrect by the standards of the chart. That said, there seems to be quite an edit war going on discussing this. At the time I posted the chart, the Air India flight was not listed first.
These deviations will not make that much difference. Regarding EK448/9, the great circle route is 14200km and the actual routes flown over CMB, PER and MEL or the more northerly route over Asia (seen on flightaware.com), is only 100-150km (1%) more.

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=dxb-akl...xb&MS=bm&DU=km

I am curious how much the A380 (starting next week) will affect duration of this flight.
And 'longest flight' means longest in time: westbound costs more than eastbound, in this case it differs 1 hour.

On the route SFO-DEL, the 'detour' over Anc makes only 39km difference.

Last edited by airsurfer; Oct 23, 2016 at 2:07 pm
Old Oct 23, 2016, 9:55 pm

I flew QF 7/8 last year when they were the longest flights in the world, QF8 being longer due to headwinds. I feel like all Y passengers should get a certificate upon deplaning in SYD that says "I survived QF 8"

I don't remember how much I slept, I have difficulty sleeping on planes, but I think since it's a night departure, about 5 or 6 hours into the flight, after a meal and couple movies I hit the point where my body couldn't go any longer without sleep so I was able to sleep for at least a few hours, I really don't remember how long. But the DFW-SYD leg really wasn't that bad, oddly enough, it didn't seem worse than a TATL flight, even though it's twice as long.

The return, QF 7 was just brutal though, even though it's about an hour shorter. Maybe it was the afternoon departure - it was probably a good 12 or 13 hours into the flight until my body was like "Okay, F this, I'm too tired, I want to sleep" but at that point, the final meal service is starting soon and it's bright outside. Pus, my trip began that morning in MEL and ended 24 hours later in STL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.