Wiki Posts
Search

Help! Lost passport

Search this Thread

Old Oct 18, 2016, 2:29 am
Original Poster

Help! Lost passport

Hi

I have a flight booked to Portugal on Thursday and I've lost my passport. The passport office can only do 1 day passports for expireds. They've booked me in for Weds morning on a 1 week passport and said that I can just ask at the time if they can do it quicker.

Does anyone here have any ideas? I'm clutching at straws here. Is there any way to get there on a driver's license?

Thanks
Jack
Old Oct 18, 2016, 2:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by kushty
Hi

I have a flight booked to Portugal on Thursday and I've lost my passport. The passport office can only do 1 day passports for expireds. They've booked me in for Weds morning on a 1 week passport and said that I can just ask at the time if they can do it quicker.

Does anyone here have any ideas? I'm clutching at straws here. Is there any way to get there on a driver's license?

Thanks
Jack
Where are you? What citizenship?
Old Oct 18, 2016, 3:02 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by kushty
Hi

Thanks
Jack
Country of citizenship? From where are you starting the trip, and which route would you be taking to get to Portugal?
Old Oct 18, 2016, 4:47 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
There are services that can get this done faster. I used this company when I had 2 international trips less then 7 days apart, and I had filled up my other passport. Not the cheapest way to do things, but they got it done.

http://www.thepassportguys.com/
Old Oct 18, 2016, 4:51 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by Long Train Runnin
There are services that can get this done faster.
Depends on the passport issuing country. Some countries cover the process from start to finish and you aren't even allowed to bring your own photo.

Edit: From the infos he has so far shared in other topics, I gather that OP lives in London (?). If, by any chance, you're British, there's no need for a passport to travel within the European Union. A national ID should be sufficient.

Last edited by WorldLux; Oct 18, 2016 at 4:57 am
Old Oct 18, 2016, 6:46 am

A driver's license however does *not* suffice unless it lists your nationality (which most don't.)
Old Oct 18, 2016, 9:08 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Red, OZ Silver
Originally Posted by WorldLux
Depends on the passport issuing country. Some countries cover the process from start to finish and you aren't even allowed to bring your own photo.

Edit: From the infos he has so far shared in other topics, I gather that OP lives in London (?). If, by any chance, you're British, there's no need for a passport to travel within the European Union. A national ID should be sufficient.
The UK doesn't issue national ID cards, meaning it's a passport-or-bust scenario if you're British. It was proposed, but shot down for privacy concerns.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 9:41 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
I only checked the website of the Council of the EU, which lists an identification card for the UK. Didn't pay attention to the fact, that those have been scrapped a while ago.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 2:39 am

Programs: BA Gold
If you were born in the UK you may use a drivers license to travel to the Republic of Ireland, for any other destination in the EU you need to have a passport.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 2:59 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Steve_ZA
If you were born in the UK you may use a drivers license to travel to the Republic of Ireland, for any other destination in the EU you need to have a passport.
Not everyone born in the U.K. is a citizen of the U.K., Ireland, and/or an EU country. Have to keep that in mind when speaking of the right to travel internationally within the Ireland-UK CTA.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 3:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
Any further speculation is pointless until OP confirms his citizenship.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 6:42 am

Programs: A3*G, UA Gold EY Silver
Assuming you're a US citizen, go to the passport office in the early AM without an appointment and explain the situation and show proof of your immediate travel. They should sort you out.
Old Oct 20, 2016, 8:02 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
If you are talking about a US passport and are close a Department of State Passport Agency, you can MAKE AN APPOINTMENT, then go in person. You will have to pay the expediated fee, have proof of international travel within 2 weeks but they can make you a passport same day. As long as you can get an appointment. Even if you can't you can go there and wait, its not written anywhere, but they may take you without an appointment.

See: https://travel.state.gov/content/pas...expedited.html
Old Oct 20, 2016, 3:27 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
I would say UK for the OP, what with their user name and references to "booked".
Old Oct 21, 2016, 5:35 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K
...not so sure. He then s/would have said driving licence, not driver's license.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.