Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How to search ALL US Airports TO a specific destination?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2016, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

I have friends all over the country, and I'd like to fly them to me from time to time. If I could run a search to see where is cheap coming up, that'd be amazing. Am I missing a obvious search engine solution? Basically I want what Google Flights does with their Explore feature, just reversed.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 9:29 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Google flights can sort of do it, just type all the departure airports into the URL. Example:

ht tps://www.goo gle.com/flights/?f=0#search;f=SFO,LAS,LAX,SAN,OAK;t=JFK;d=2016-11-12;r=2016-11-18
Old Oct 18, 2016, 3:03 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by bouyakasha
I have friends all over the country, and I'd like to fly them to me from time to time. If I could run a search to see where is cheap coming up, that'd be amazing. Am I missing a obvious search engine solution? Basically I want what Google Flights does with their Explore feature, just reversed.
ITA MATRIX works very well for me.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 3:41 am

Use Skyscanner - from 'US' to 'Everywhere' plus dates
Old Oct 18, 2016, 6:02 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

There have been a couple OTAs/metasearch engines in the past that offered this type of functionality. None of the ones I used to know seem to still be in business. Turns out that getting fare data is relatively expensive and booking commissions are low.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 6:22 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
The Matrix times out after a certain time. With too many origins and/or destinations, it's just going to give up and show incomplete results.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by farci
Use Skyscanner - from 'US' to 'Everywhere' plus dates
I can't get this to work... I BNA (Nashville) in the "To" section and then when I try and put "Everywhere" in the other column it doesn't work...
Old Oct 18, 2016, 8:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GUWonder
What's the trick for what you put in the "From" field on ITA Matrix to make that work?
Old Oct 18, 2016, 9:08 am

Programs: LH SEN; BA Gold
You enter the airport codes

Exemple
Departure LAS, LAX, SFO, SAN, SEA
Destination IAD, JFK, MIA, PHL, BOS

And again: Be aware that the matrix just stops working after a certain time and that you risk, that it will not show complete results if there are too many combinations to check.

(The Text in blue is obviously not to be entered.)
Old Oct 18, 2016, 9:56 am

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
I can't get this to work... I BNA (Nashville) in the "To" section and then when I try and put "Everywhere" in the other column it doesn't work...
It works. Put BNA in the "FROM" field and then just click on the "TO" field and it will pop up with "Flexible? Search "everywhere"". Just click that and there you go.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 10:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by STBCypriot
It works. Put BNA in the "FROM" field and then just click on the "TO" field and it will pop up with "Flexible? Search "everywhere"". Just click that and there you go.
OP is looking for inbound flights, not outbound flights. "Everywhere" doesn't work in the "From" field.

The reverse search can be a decent proxy for possible originations, but it won't provide accurate schedule or fare data. Which is what OP seeks.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 11:11 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
OP I'm afraid you're going to be stuck with good old-fashioned legwork How many people are you really talking about in total? You surely don't truly need to literally find pricing from all of the several hundred US airports with scheduled commercial service.

I get that sometimes cheaper fares can be found by checking different airports in a local region, but for narrowing down your plans just start with the closest or most logical airport for each friend, then for those outside your budget parameters do a more detailed search or something like that. Even if you're talking 15 people it won't be all that cumbersome.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 6:23 am

Here's an example itinerary I made today

https://www.skyscanner.net/transport...false&ref=home
Old Oct 19, 2016, 6:41 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
What's the trick for what you put in the "From" field on ITA Matrix to make that work?
http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=45539

http://forums.dansdeals.com/index.php?topic=17085.0
Old Oct 19, 2016, 2:07 pm

Programs: UA GS+LT UC, AA EXP+LT PLT, Fairmont LT PLT, Marriott PLT, Hilton DIA, Hyatt Glob, Avis CHM
And tutorial here on my blog: http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/76632

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.