Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Why do most new hotels have glass walls?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2016, 6:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX Gold

What's the purpose of the see through glass between the room and the toilet?
Old Oct 17, 2016, 7:02 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Makes a small room look larger.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 7:23 pm

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
Just another example of "style" over functionality. I love the look of a well designed, modern room, but glass bathroom doors really annoy me . Hotel owners should give a little more thought to making a great hotel that meets customer's needs, instead of just looking like a great hotel in pictures.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 7:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
I've never seen this. Frosted glass? See-through sounds terrible.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 7:34 pm
Original Poster

Programs: CX Gold

Photo credit to the owner.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 7:44 pm

Programs: SQ TPP, LH SEN
I like the glass walls, I've not stayed in a hotel that doesn't have either shades/blinds or a switch to change it to frosted mode, or . I like a lot of light wherever I am and with the size of some hotel rooms the glass helps the space look airy/bright. I recently stayed in a nice hotel but in a very old building - my room window opened into an interior airwell and the bathroom had dark tiles. Pretty much zero natural lighting even during the brightest part of the day! Luckily just a one night stay.
Gynob001 likes this.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 9:11 pm

I hate the glass walls. I've had them in a few hotel rooms and they've *never* had shades/blinds or a switch to change it to frosted. So stupid.
muji and Oxnardjan like this.
Old Oct 17, 2016, 9:25 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by lmashton
I hate the glass walls. I've had them in a few hotel rooms and they've *never* had shades/blinds or a switch to change it to frosted. So stupid.
My experience has been the opposite. I've never been in a hotel room which didn't have blinds for the glass partition between the toilet and the room.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 4:12 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
I prefer them, personally - much prefer natural light when I can get it. Although I do expect the toilet itself to be frosted!

Never stayed in one where there's no blinds or switchable glass.

You do also get a number of budget hotels that have shower cubicles and a basin rather than a formal bathroom (and a separate toilet, of course). I don't mind these either, although you do have to know the person you're travelling with quite well.

And then, a number of hotels have baths outside the bathroom. One of my favourite ones has the bathtub on a balcony, positioned so you have a line of vision, but are out of sight. Again, rather like that.
Gynob001 likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 5:16 am

Programs: Air Canada P25K, Hilton Honors Gold, Marriott Gold, MGM Gold
As said above "you do have to know the person you're travelling with quite well" (sorry the quote function doesn't seem to be working). These rooms are fine if you are alone or with a spouse, but can be quite uncomfortable if you are traveling with friends, parents, siblings, etc. I don't mind frosted glass, but I have stayed in hotels where there was clear glass with no shades. Even if the toilet is in a discrete area, the shower is often still exposed.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 5:23 am

Programs: LH M+M
Saw that first recently in Radisson/Belgrade and liked it very much - the blind (ops) was a bit non-intuitive but there - brilliant to watch the news while in shower
Old Oct 18, 2016, 5:25 am

Programs: BAEC, IB+, TAM multi+
I greatly prefer my toilet to be in an enclosed space to be honest. I don't want people to be looking at me while I'm taking a dump. The b athroom should be a separate room with a closed door.
Oxnardjan likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 5:52 am

Programs: Tegridy Elite
I generally dislike these glass walls. While most I've encountered have blinds or other means to block the view when desired, I've had some that don't (maybe 10% IME). Even though I'm always either solo or with my wife, I still don't care for them. This is because even with blinds, a curtain, or a frosted finish, many of the designs still allow light - sometimes a lot of light - from the bathroom to come through into the sleeping area at night. A few have a tight enough blocking mechanism that it's not a factor but that's not always the case.

This is a nuisance when someone has to use the bathroom in the middle of the night or needs to start getting ready earlier than the other person. Sure if there is a night light or enough ambient light you may not have to turn on the bathroom light but that's not always the case especially depending on why you need to use it!
CDTraveler likes this.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 7:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
I don't want people to be looking at me while I'm taking a dump.
That seems to me to be an issue no matter how well you know your travelling companion.
Old Oct 18, 2016, 7:48 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Haven't noticed this in the US, save for a hotel trying to be trendy.

In Indonesia and China though, it's par for the course.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.