Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which airline has the best coffee?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 29, 2016, 11:23 am
Original Poster

Which airline has the best coffee?

After being thoroughly disappointed with the coffee on my maiden Air France flight this week, I'm curious to know which airline has the best coffee. Cast your vote!
Old Sep 29, 2016, 1:07 pm

Programs: Miles and More, IHG, ANA Mileage Club, Hilton Honors
Coffee has always been horrible on all the airlines I have tried, I have no company to recommend for this, I'm afraid.
Old Sep 29, 2016, 1:12 pm

Programs: Emirates Gold, Delta Gold, Bonvoy Plat
Austrian business class
"In our Flying Coffee House we serve a selection of 10 freshly prepared classic Viennese coffee specialties."
Old Sep 29, 2016, 5:29 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by ShamRockSteady
After being thoroughly disappointed with the coffee on my maiden Air France flight this week, I'm curious to know which airline has the best coffee. Cast your vote!
I'm kind of surprised to hear this, as Air France would have been my nomination - they serve illy espresso on board.

Did you order an espresso or a drip coffee? I don't think their drip coffee is up to the same standard...
Old Sep 29, 2016, 8:23 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Remember that water is a big part of the brewing process. And that those water tanks get nasty pretty quickly.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 4:58 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by BenA
I'm kind of surprised to hear this, as Air France would have been my nomination - they serve illy espresso on board.

Did you order an espresso or a drip coffee? I don't think their drip coffee is up to the same standard...
Thanks for the info, i only tried the drip coffee. They had little cups pre-filled with instant Nestle coffee which they poured hot water into. I didn't know espresso was an option. This was short-haul economy class on an A320 so maybe it's wasn't available?
Old Sep 30, 2016, 5:43 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, BA Silver, Marriott Gold
Best coffee I've ever had on a plane is in BA F with breakfast prior to landing at LHR on a flight from JFK. Excellent full English breakfast, too!

Last edited by AlastairGordon; Sep 30, 2016 at 7:03 am
Old Sep 30, 2016, 5:57 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
The cappuccino that they make on Ryanair with hot water they pour into a cup with the mix is better than any filter coffee I have had on a legacy carrier in coach. It does cost 2 Euros, but considering the money one saves over a legacy carrier flying Ryanair, it's worth it.

The thing I never understood is that it can't be that hard to put a battery operated Nespresso machine or two on a catering cart and yet even in business, most carriers don't do it.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 5:58 am
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
Originally Posted by ShamRockSteady
... i only tried the drip coffee. They had little cups pre-filled with instant Nestle coffee which they poured hot water into. I didn't know espresso was an option. This was short-haul economy class on an A320 so maybe it's wasn't available?
You have to be flying long-haul F to get the best coffees (maybe Austrian is an exception as J is their highest class). CX, QF, EK offer quite good coffee (better than Starbucks quality, though that isn't a very high bar) for example. But flying on A380/A350/B787 with the greater pressurization is probably the most important factor affecting flavour of coffee.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 7:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by NYTA
The cappuccino that they make on Ryanair with hot water they pour into a cup with the mix is better than any filter coffee I have had on a legacy carrier in coach. It does cost 2 Euros, but considering the money one saves over a legacy carrier flying Ryanair, it's worth it.

The thing I never understood is that it can't be that hard to put a battery operated Nespresso machine or two on a catering cart and yet even in business, most carriers don't do it.
Any equipment they put on an aircraft has to be certified to a high standard of reliability and safety. That $200 Nespresso maker would probably cost $2000 by the time it was able to be put on a plane.

I agree that Austrian's Viennese Coffee House In the Sky was the best coffee experience I've had on a plane.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 7:48 am

Programs: UA Platinum, Avis Chairman, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold, GA Pilot
Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Any equipment they put on an aircraft has to be certified to a high standard of reliability and safety. That $200 Nespresso maker would probably cost $2000 by the time it was able to be put on a plane.

I agree that Austrian's Viennese Coffee House In the Sky was the best coffee experience I've had on a plane.
$2,000 is nothing - if they could sell coffee on board at Starbucks prices they'd make it back in one flight. The machines exist - when I was in the aircraft interiors business 20 years ago there was a Lavazza machine called "Lavazza Flying" for VIP aircraft. This company seems to be making similar products today: http://ihfelectronics.com/iacobucci/...mid=28&lang=en

If I had an airline, I'd definitely put these on board and charge. Would be a better way to earn ancillary fees than charging for crappy food.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 10:55 am
Suspended

In the US, I think Alaska Airlines does. I am not saying it's great, but at least you can taste it and it has some strength.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 11:34 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by gfunkdave
Such a system does exist (made by B/E Aerospace, a dominant player in the galley fittings industry) and it costs well over $2,000 IIRC. I've got a photo of it around here somewhere, I think.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.