Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Housekeeping gripes

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2016, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Should you be given a cheaper option if you don't want your room made up? It means less costs for the hotel.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 7:27 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Should you be given a cheaper option if you don't want your room made up? It means less costs for the hotel.
Sadly not. I'm told that the hotel still needs to have the same number of cleaners turn up for work to clean all the rooms so there's no real cost saving to them. Even if they got the number of people that opted out of room cleaning the night before, imagine being the person who got told they were losing a day's pay at short notice.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 7:32 am
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Originally Posted by roberino
imagine being the person who got told they were losing a day's pay at short notice.
Certainly in the UK, there's a high chance that hotel cleaners will be contracted out, and on zero-hour contracts. This happens with a sad frequency.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 7:57 am

Programs: BA Silver, VS Red, OZ Silver
I stayed in a hotel that offered a daily discount for declining housekeeping. Filled the form in and dropped it at the front desk pronto.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 8:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Most Starwoods offer 500 points per night for declining housekeeping, obviously on multi night stays.
Old Sep 30, 2016, 10:36 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United 1k, Marriott Lifetime PE, Former DL Gold, Former SQ Solitaire, HH Gold
Originally Posted by jcresq
I have noticed over the past year or so that my biggest annoyances at hotel stays usually have something to do with housekeeping. Am I alone or have others noticed this? Here are the usual ones (and, yes, I get that these are "first world problems", but aren't most travel issues?):

1. Knocking on the door. My dnd sign is hanging from the doorknob. My deadbolt is locked. They pound on the door anyway. Then, a half hour later, no change in my status, they do it again. On a recent stay, in between housekeeping's knocks, room service knocked to pick up last night's dishes. And this always happens at an hour when one might reasonably be asleep (though in my case, it's generally that I'm on a business call).
I usually face the opposite. I'll put the dnd sign on the door then a few hours later order room service. Then I get a call telling me that the room service is outside my door but won't knock because the dnd sign is on the door.

Originally Posted by jcresq
2. Not making up the room. The flip side of this is they don't make up the room. I have frequently come back to my room mid-afternoon to find it not made up. Recently, I came back to my room at 9 pm and it was not made up (I complained and got points, but on the whole, would rather have not had to deal with dirty towels and an unmade bed after a long day).
Whenever I leave the room I tell the desk on the way out to have someone make up my room now if they can. Very rarely do they miss.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 5:37 am

Originally Posted by mglvrug
I regularly find myself shaking my head over the prominent bathroom signs about conserving water by hanging up your towel if it doesn't need to be replaced. I almost always do that, since I don't change towels daily at home, either. In a total of three hotels over the past five years, they have left the lightly used towel for me to use again. Every other time, in hotels of many different chains, they ignore their own policy and give me a fresh towel. I know the sign is there mostly to impress environmentally-conscious customers, but still...
Yup. Not once have I had a hotel actually follow their own instructions. I have to tell them, verbally, and follow that up with insistence that no, I do not need the sheets and towels changed, thank you.

I really really really wish they'd follow their own instructions.

I would love it if I could use a menu, so to speak, to check which things I want done daily or weekly. Towels, weekly. Sheets, weekly. Garbage (when we have a kitchen), daily.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by lmashton
Yup

I would love it if I could use a menu, so to speak, to check which things I want done daily or weekly. Towels, weekly. Sheets, weekly. Garbage (when we have a kitchen), daily.
i always want clean towels daily.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by Proudelitist
If I leave the sign on the door, don't start calling to check that I really mean it.
Agreed.

Don't slip passive aggressive letters under the door to remind me that I didn't have the room made up. It means LEAVE ME ALONE!!!
The slip of paper serves an important purpose, and I don't think it's passive/aggressive. It tells you that the decision point of not servicing your room for the day has passed, and that you need to call someone if you want service. Without this notification, what can happen is that a guest leaves the room at an hour that they think is reasonable enough to expect housekeeping service, but then comes back and is mad because the room is not made up. The slip of paper prevents this kind of misunderstanding. If you really don't want service that day, it's easy enough to ignore, and accept that it may be important to others.

My other gripe is about the in-room coffee. Why on earth is there decaf in there??
Do you think they put it there for their own jollies? Obviously, some guests would like decaf. Why on earth would this bother you?

Worse, is when there is ONLY decaf..an event which has taken place on my travels more than once.
Now, that's a problem.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 3:25 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by roberino
Sadly not. I'm told that the hotel still needs to have the same number of cleaners turn up for work to clean all the rooms so there's no real cost saving to them. Even if they got the number of people that opted out of room cleaning the night before, imagine being the person who got told they were losing a day's pay at short notice.
At least in the US, I'd expect that essentially all housekeepers are paid by the hour. So it's not an issue of working a full shift or not at all. If they run out of rooms to service, then some housekeepers can be dismissed early.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 9:15 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Here's a new one, just ran into this at the Grand Hyatt Dubai.

Lots of higher-end hotels have moved from make-up-room door-hangers to light switches—but the switch is near the door.

The GH Dubai put it near the bed, with a label that's illegible in low light. And it's on the same bank as a bunch of light switches. So in an effort to turn on the lights, I furiously ring the bell for maid service multiple times without realizing it.

And then get a call from housekeeping at midnight asking if I really want service right now.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 9:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Steve M
At least in the US, I'd expect that essentially all housekeepers are paid by the hour. So it's not an issue of working a full shift or not at all. If they run out of rooms to service, then some housekeepers can be dismissed early.
Many of Australia's housekeeping staff would be casual. Usually 3 hour minimum shift if called in and you start however no call in means no pay.
Old Oct 1, 2016, 10:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Hyatt Ist-iest, Stariott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
i always want clean towels daily.
Out of curiosity, do you change out the towels every day when you're home? Just curious your expectations of there vs what you do yourself

God knows I sure don't change them daily, usually just throw them in the laundry when I do my weekly batch (usually Sundays).
Old Oct 1, 2016, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA
I know someone who cleans rooms at a motel (cheap place, $60/night). She gets $3.50 per rented room. So, in that case, a do-not-disturb sign is an easy $3.50. A messy room could mean a measly $3.50 to work 30 minutes (it's measly because she spends 2-3 hours a day washing linens). Clearly most of your nightly rate is for the property itself, not the maid. I always leave my room in a reasonable condition, requiring only about 15 minutes to clean it.
Old Oct 2, 2016, 1:52 am
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

My policy is to decline all housekeeping. I guess I would make an exception if I were staying in the same room longer than 5-6 days, but that hasn't happened yet. As long as they honor the DND sign, there will be no problems. If I need a new towel or something, I call the desk and they send it up. Daily housekeeping seems completely unnecessary to me, and I don't like the idea of strangers (particularly poorly paid ones) having access to my belongings.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.